HowTo : Recover Intel RAID "Non-Member Disk" Error.. - Page 30 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

HowTo : Recover Intel RAID "Non-Member Disk" Error..

post #291 of 296 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Thank you so much. This worked!!! And thank you to everyone who took part in posting and researching these things. I made this account just to say thank you.

Just for reference, I had a Raid10 with the 0 and 1 of my array being Non-Members. This happened after I updated the bios on my Z97-Pro motherboard. These were 4 2tb HDDs that were in array. I didn't actually move the placement of the SATA drives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #292 of 296 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 10:48 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Hi guys,

Just joined to give you a big thank you, speacially to the opener. And to provide some recent feedback, as this thread has gone slightly silent over the last years.

My story:
Since a year and a half or so, my MSI GT72 Pro, which mounts a 4x128Gb SSD RAID0 as a primary drive and runs Windows 8.1 failed from time to time showing a non-raid message on one of the drives. I normally fixed that by restarting several times until the OS eventually booted. After that, instead of shutting down the laptop at nights, I suspended it, and that prevented that thing from happening again until the times I failed to enforce the rule of "not letting the computer die", for example running it without power supply and letting the battery die. This used to produce the aforesaid error 90% of the times. But as I said, some restarts (even deep ones with the reset button you have to push with a needle) fixed the thing. It has never been clear to me what is the exact action that triggers the OS to finally reload, but after some minutes it always worked so I didn't give it much of a thought.

Until yesterday. Another battery drain shut down the computer intempestively and for five hours I tried the restart thing without success. I though that that was it. That I would have to send it to MSI support, wait for a month and then reinstall everything. D:

But before that, I thought that what kind of IT guy am I if I don't try some other options besides restart^n. That's how I came across with this thread today, which I read completely, and decided to try the steps of the opening post. And man did they work! Sure they did.

As useful complementary tips:
- I didn't have another drive to install windows to run testdisk from it. Well, I do have another one (1TB non SSD), but is the one I use to store the data, so installing there another windows was not an option.
- What I did instead, was to download at work the recovery ISO of W8.1 from MS website, write it to a USB stick using the "Windows USB/DVD download tool", then download the TestDisk for windows 7, and put it in another USB stick.
- After doing the BIOS steps (undoing and redoing the RAID), I changed boot order to start from USB and connected the USB with the image of the W8.1 recovery media.
- Then, after loading with it, I went to repair -> advanced -> command prompt (or something like that), connected the other USB stick (the one with testdisk) in another free USB slot and started trying letters until I found that the USB was at F (being in X:> initially, I typed X:>F: to switch to it).
- Then I launched the TestDisk_win.exe present in the TestDisk folder inside F and followed the steps of that link (http://blog.quindorian.org/2013/07/r...reported.html/) for the testdisk specific stuff
- When finished, I exited everything and shut down the computer.
- Then I rebooted without the USB drive, and voilà!! Back on business. No need to run the fixmbr&fixboot commands.

Thank you all again!

HTH

Last edited by _retro__gamer_; 07-26-2018 at 10:53 AM.
post #293 of 296 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 11:45 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Hello to all,
This thread gave me a lot of hope, I read it front to back.

I encountered the same problem as you all.

I created my RAID5 array on a Asus p8p67 deluxe. My OS is on a separate disk
I moved the disk to a new motherboard, MSI x99 mpower and sure enough 2 of the 4 drive were marked as non member.

I followed the steps here:

Quote: Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post
Solved it a few hours ago. Was able to repair the array after carefully reading the whole guide thread over several times and making some wild-guess modifications to the procedure based on the issues people were having.

What I did, new/modified steps in green:
1) Booted into windows and uninstalled Intel Matrix / Intel Rapid Storage software!
2) Rebooted, Reset to non-raid (did not delete)
3) Build new raid identical to previous one.
4) Booted into windows and used TestDisk to analyze.
5) Quick Search with Testdisk returned no readable files/
6) Deeper search revealed the original RAID 10 partition after about 10 seconds (it continued for what would have been several hours afterwards, discovering error after error after error until I stopped it).
7) RAID 10 partition showed correct files, marked it as primary partition, wrote partition data to disk using testdisk
8) Rebooted
9) Re-established links within windows (and re-installed chrome... for whatever reason that and only that got corrupted in the process... and it wasn't even on the raid to begin with! I was on C! As soon as I reinstalled it, all the bookmarks, extensions, and settings were in place automatically. Whatever)

Note that my raid was my "d" drive and not my "c". I believe this is the key! The majority of users following this guide have had their RAID as their C drive and as such when they followed this guide, the intel software was not readable until the process was finished. For several users the method did not work due to intel software attempting to re-initialize the new raid therefore overwriting old data - these users logically had a separate C drive where the intel software was free to work while attempting this fix.

In other words, if your raid is NOT your C drive, you must first uninstall intel software to prevent erroneous re-initialization.

Anyway, thanks for your input mmiszkiel. +rep for responding helpfully even if it was a wee bit late
I encountered a few problems:
- when trying to previez the files, the program just crashed
- after writing the partition and rebooting, the partition is not accessible (RAW format, data inaccessible or corrupted)

Is there any chance some had this issue as well ? How did you fix it ?

Thanks in advance for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #294 of 296 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Hello, how to boot to windows if the window on the broken raid?
post #295 of 296 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

hello, how to boot to windows if the window on the broken raid?
post #296 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Attempting to fix RAID5 with 2 non-member disks

This is a fantastic thread, with so many great suggestions.

I am looking to follow the below instructions provided in this thread which seem to be the best for my situation:

1. Uninstall Intel RST from Windows. This step is critical! If you do not do this, you will lose all your data when you get to step (4)!
2. Reboot into the RAID console, reset all member disks to be non-member
3. Create a new array with the exact same parameters (name, stripe size) as the original one
4. Reboot into Windows, run TestDisk, start "Quick Search"
5. Stop Quick Search immediately after it has started, immediately start the "Deeper Search"
6. Wait until Deeper Search had found the correct partition (should take under 10 seconds), stop it from scanning
7. Mark the partition as Primary, write partition data to it
8. Reboot into Windows and everything should be hunky dory!

However I have a problem. Here is my situation: I am running 4 x 6TB drives in RAID5. I set these up using the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) RAID creation tool through my BIOS. The RAID is used for storage and my OS is running on a seperate SSD. My motherboard is ASUS GRYPHON Z97. After a BIOS firmware update, 2 of the 4 disks fell out of my RAID configuration and it now only shows 2 member disks, with the other 2 disks as non-member. I formatted my SSD and installed a fresh version of Windows 10. The RAID problem remains.

It appears to me (although I'm a nooblette) that Intel RST must be used with my motherboard, as it is built into the BIOS as the only way to set up RAID configurations. I am unable to boot into Windows in RAID mode, and I get inaccesible boot device error. When I boot into Windows in ACHI mode there's no problem, however the RAID of course does not appear. When I boot into Windows in ACHI mode, it also appears that Intel RST is uninstalled as a program and there are no drivers for it, so there is nothing for me to uninstall.

How do I begin this recovery process with any confidence that when I recreate the RAID (using the above instructions) and I boot in with RAID mode enabled that Intel RST wont just load up and start to initialise my disks automatically and I will lose everything?

Appreciate the help of anyone who can assist.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in