Just joined to give you a big thank you, speacially to the opener. And to provide some recent feedback, as this thread has gone slightly silent over the last years.
Since a year and a half or so, my MSI GT72 Pro, which mounts a 4x128Gb SSD RAID0 as a primary drive and runs Windows 8.1 failed from time to time showing a non-raid message on one of the drives. I normally fixed that by restarting several times until the OS eventually booted. After that, instead of shutting down the laptop at nights, I suspended it, and that prevented that thing from happening again until the times I failed to enforce the rule of "not letting the computer die", for example running it without power supply and letting the battery die. This used to produce the aforesaid error 90% of the times. But as I said, some restarts (even deep ones with the reset button you have to push with a needle) fixed the thing. It has never been clear to me what is the exact action that triggers the OS to finally reload, but after some minutes it always worked so I didn't give it much of a thought.
Until yesterday. Another battery drain shut down the computer intempestively and for five hours I tried the restart thing without success. I though that that was it. That I would have to send it to MSI support, wait for a month and then reinstall everything. D:
But before that, I thought that what kind of IT guy am I if I don't try some other options besides restart^n. That's how I came across with this thread today, which I read completely, and decided to try the steps of the opening post. And man did they work! Sure they did.
As useful complementary tips:
- I didn't have another drive to install windows to run testdisk from it. Well, I do have another one (1TB non SSD), but is the one I use to store the data, so installing there another windows was not an option.
- What I did instead, was to download at work the recovery ISO of W8.1 from MS website, write it to a USB stick using the "Windows USB/DVD download tool", then download the TestDisk for windows 7, and put it in another USB stick.
- After doing the BIOS steps (undoing and redoing the RAID), I changed boot order to start from USB and connected the USB with the image of the W8.1 recovery media.
- Then, after loading with it, I went to repair -> advanced -> command prompt (or something like that), connected the other USB stick (the one with testdisk) in another free USB slot and started trying letters until I found that the USB was at F (being in X:> initially, I typed X:>F: to switch to it).
- Then I launched the TestDisk_win.exe present in the TestDisk folder inside F and followed the steps of that link (http://blog.quindorian.org/2013/07/r...reported.html/
) for the testdisk specific stuff
- When finished, I exited everything and shut down the computer.
- Then I rebooted without the USB drive, and voilà!! Back on business. No need to run the fixmbr&fixboot commands.
Thank you all again!