FIX: AHCI/SATA drives showing in "Safely Remove Hardware" - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

FIX: AHCI/SATA drives showing in "Safely Remove Hardware"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
t0adphr0g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maryland City, Maryland USA
Posts: 868
Rep: 63 (Unique: 57)
Hey guys!

t0adphr0g here! Here to answer a couple questions...

1. - Will this fix affect performance?

No! This fix forces the PC to treat the drives as internal drives, therefore, this setting will disable any quick removal options.

2. - Why doesn't this work on my Windows 8 PC?

This fix is ONLY for Windows 7 users, it is not intended, nor, written for Windows 8.



I would like to take this time to thank all of you for coming by to OCN! I hope you find more answers from fellow Gamers and Overclockers!

- t0adphr0g
t0adphr0g is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 11:09 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
t0t3m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adphr0g View Post

I have a ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard, this also has a Marvell SATA 6 controller.

You just need to go into your Device Manager to turn off the "Safely Remove" function.

here I took a picture:

453

Open Device Manager, open Storage controllers, then just right click "Marvell 91xx...", choose properties, then go to the policies tab, and uncheck the box "Enable safely remove disk."

I would then reboot, to see the change.

Hi, i think this necropost could help other people, if you have a Marvell controller (91xx) and you cannot find the Policies tab (on Windows 8.1 the driver installs itself correctly but the tab is not visible) you can fix the problem editing the registry in this way:

- Open regedit
- Go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> Class -> {4d36e97b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
- Add a new string value with name "EnumPropPages32" and Value Data "mv91xxm.dll,ESATAPortPropPageProvider"

sPAeHJx.png

dfA76qR.png
t0t3m is offline  
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
t0adphr0g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maryland City, Maryland USA
Posts: 868
Rep: 63 (Unique: 57)
Bravo t0t3m

thanks for the resurrection love, and the revamping for the new generation!
t0adphr0g is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 11:05 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
swede1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1
Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adphr0g View Post

Ever since I set my BIOS to AHCI, I was plagued with my SATA connected drives showing up in the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon.

I understand that eSata, and USB devices should show up there. However, my internal devices, HDDs, CD/DVD/BluRay are showing up as well.

I didn't want to have to reinstall Windows 7, and set BIOS to SATA/RAID.
I wanted a better solution.
I found it!


This is a Registry fix.
You should ALWAYS back up your registry before you make changes - it only takes a second to do it, and if anything happens to it you'll need to reinstall...
Here we go...

Regedit your way to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ services\ msahci
and create a new KEY called "Controller0"
inside Controller0, create a new KEY called "Channel0"
Now inside Channel0, create a new DWORD called "TreatAsInternalPort"
set this value to "1"
(this sets SATA port 0 (Drive C)to no longer show up in "Safely Remove Hardware")

Now, go back into the Controller0 folder again.
inside Controller0, create a new KEY called "Channel1"
Now inside Channel1, create a new DWORD called "TreatAsInternalPort"
set this value to "1"
(this sets SATA port 1 (Drive D)to no longer show up in "Safely Remove Hardware")

And so on, until all internal SATA ports are set to be treated as Internal.
My motherboard has 6 SATA ports, so I have set Channel0 to Channel5.

Here is an example of my registry change:

AHCIregedit.png

Your motherboard may have more or less SATA ports,
just remember to start with 0
6 Ports = 0-5 etc.

Now Reboot to allow changes.

Hooray! only external devices show up now!

A big thank you from a new user!
This " issue " have been bugging me for quite some time and thanks to you its fixed! :-)

This issue was driving me crazy but now i can sleep good at night :-)
swede1 is offline  
post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 06:25 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
lilturk726's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 7
Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralger View Post

So I was in the same boat as others here and the registry tweak was not working for me. Like another poster earlier, I too have an AsRock Z77 motherboard.

I found this little work-around and haven't seen anyone else mention it, so I'll post it here in the hopes that it helps someone with the same problem I had. Basically there is an option under your ASmedia Sata Controller properties that let's you straight up disable this functionality. Just go in there and un-check the box:



Thank you. I tried the OP but it didn't work for me, maybe because the Extreme 4 has the two Sata 3 ports that I'm using listed as A0 and A1? IDK, either way thanks for the post.

i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz | Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme w/ two Noctua NF-F12's | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | 8gb Corsair Vengeance RAM | Asus 780ti DC2O | Corsair CX750M | Segate Barracuda 2tb | SanDisk Extreme 128gb | LG BD-ROM | Four Noctua NF-S12A's | Intel Gigabit Ethernet NIC |Corsair Vengeance Black | Asus 24" 1080p Monitor | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder Chroma | Astro A40
lilturk726 is offline  
post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 03:56 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Joygasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1
Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t3m View Post

Hi, i think this necropost could help other people, if you have a Marvell controller (91xx) and you cannot find the Policies tab (on Windows 8.1 the driver installs itself correctly but the tab is not visible) you can fix the problem editing the registry in this way:

- Open regedit
- Go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> Class -> {4d36e97b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
- Add a new string value with name "EnumPropPages32" and Value Data "mv91xxm.dll,ESATAPortPropPageProvider"

OMG I've been pulling my hair out for 6 hours now trying to get my 10 drives off the remove list. You sir win the internet! thumb.gif

EDIT: This solution killed 2 birds with one stone. I had 10 drives with code 10 error under device manager/portable Devices, because they were mounted as ntfs mount points instead of drive letters? They are now gone, I am error free! Thanks again!
Joygasm is offline  
post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 08:56 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
dangerouSoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1
Rep: 0
T0adphr0g

Hi mate..The fix you mention didn´t work for me =(..I did your workaround on windows 7 and it worked like a charm..I formated my SSD to w8.1 yesterday i did your fix but it didn´t work =(.. It is still showing as removable disk.

PS: I read what u wirte that this isn´t for w8 =(((.Thanks anyway..
dangerouSoul is offline  
post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 09:18 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
cokker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Norwich England
Posts: 2,901
Rep: 195 (Unique: 128)
I found a solution for windows 10 thanks to PCo over at http://superuser.com/a/961242

Backup your registry!

  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device
  • Add a new "Multi String Value" called "TreatAsInternalPort" (no quotes).
  • Modify the new entry by adding 0 (press return), 1 (return), 2,3,4,5 (add one more return) this would be for a 6 sata port motherboard)). You should have something that looks like this: http://i.stack.imgur.com/jdPUV.png
  • Exit and reboot, (you may get an error that flashes up while it shuts down, don't panic it only seems to be the once.)

I guess you could edit this "TreatAsInternalPort" entry to exclude any ports you may want to eject in the future.

cokker is offline  
post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 09:42 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
HITTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,363
Rep: 17 (Unique: 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adphr0g View Post

I have a ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard, this also has a Marvell SATA 6 controller.

You just need to go into your Device Manager to turn off the "Safely Remove" function.

here I took a picture:

453

Open Device Manager, open Storage controllers, then just right click "Marvell 91xx...", choose properties, then go to the policies tab, and uncheck the box "Enable safely remove disk."

I would then reboot, to see the change.

Awesome!

I ordered a second 840 pro, had to move some stuff around "sata port connectors". As my board only has two 6GB/s and the rest 4 are 3GB/s. I've got a marvel raid card 91xx, had to switch a sata III 6GB/s hdd to the marvel raid card, cuz my two 840's are gonna be on my intel chipset as raid in sata 3 thumb.gif.

This solution works perfect, Thanks!

Win10 x64 Pro, Acer XB240H, Corsair Obsidian 750D Black,DEMCifilter Corsair Obsidian 750D Dust Filter Kit,Delidded i7-3770K OC'[email protected], F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM, MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GD5, ASRock Z75 Pro3, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU, EK-KIT L240, 2 x NF-A14-FLX Fans, 2 x NF-F12 iPPC 2000, 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID 0 32KB strip, WD Re WD1003FBYZ 1TB,2TB HGST/Hitachi (HUA723020ALA641), Samsung SH-S223L.


HITTI is offline  
post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 06:51 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
HITTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,363
Rep: 17 (Unique: 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adphr0g View Post

Ever since I set my BIOS to AHCI, I was plagued with my SATA connected drives showing up in the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon.

I understand that eSata, and USB devices should show up there. However, my internal devices, HDDs, CD/DVD/BluRay are showing up as well.

I didn't want to have to reinstall Windows 7, and set BIOS to SATA/RAID.
I wanted a better solution.
I found it!


This is a Registry fix.
You should ALWAYS back up your registry before you make changes - it only takes a second to do it, and if anything happens to it you'll need to reinstall...
Here we go...

Regedit your way to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ services\ msahci
and create a new KEY called "Controller0"
inside Controller0, create a new KEY called "Channel0"
Now inside Channel0, create a new DWORD called "TreatAsInternalPort"
set this value to "1"
(this sets SATA port 0 (Drive C)to no longer show up in "Safely Remove Hardware")

Now, go back into the Controller0 folder again.
inside Controller0, create a new KEY called "Channel1"
Now inside Channel1, create a new DWORD called "TreatAsInternalPort"
set this value to "1"
(this sets SATA port 1 (Drive D)to no longer show up in "Safely Remove Hardware")

And so on, until all internal SATA ports are set to be treated as Internal.
My motherboard has 6 SATA ports, so I have set Channel0 to Channel5.

Here is an example of my registry change:

AHCIregedit.png

Your motherboard may have more or less SATA ports,
just remember to start with 0
6 Ports = 0-5 etc.

Now Reboot to allow changes.

Hooray! only external devices show up now!

Ok, I tried this and it does not work. I followed exactly and rebooted. I am in RAID mode through UEFI. WIndows7 x64.


Edit:
I am also using IRST v14.6.0.1029

Win10 x64 Pro, Acer XB240H, Corsair Obsidian 750D Black,DEMCifilter Corsair Obsidian 750D Dust Filter Kit,Delidded i7-3770K OC'[email protected], F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM, MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GD5, ASRock Z75 Pro3, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU, EK-KIT L240, 2 x NF-A14-FLX Fans, 2 x NF-F12 iPPC 2000, 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID 0 32KB strip, WD Re WD1003FBYZ 1TB,2TB HGST/Hitachi (HUA723020ALA641), Samsung SH-S223L.


HITTI is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off