Data Recovery Software - No BS - what is the best? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Data Recovery Software - No BS - what is the best?

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
As the title implies - I have some data to recover from a harddrive. I recently formatted it and now realize it had some kid photos I need to rescue. I'm not interest in any random free software - I'm willing to shell out some$$ for something good, but I'm interested in all the marketing crap from answers on Quora

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-commercially-available-data-recovery-software

and sites like this I have come to learn are anything but unbiased.

http://data-recovery-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Nor am I interested in something "it's free but it's also good" no - unless it's been verified somehow against heavy duty commercial grade software and you have a review link I'd like something more useful than google.

Any suggestions on what I should use for heavy duty data recovery? Any links to relatively unbiased software reviews would be great, thanks. smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 11:06 PM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3135 (Unique: 1869)
Paying for recovery software just to pull data from a formatted drive is the same as burning money.

Formatting doesn't touch your data, it's all there, just not indexed, and there are a dozen free programs that will let you recover all of it without much fuss.

If you actually overwrote it, any overwritten data is just gone. Chances are the NSA would find it a lost cause even if they thought you were the Caliph of the Islamic State and were in the middle of planning a nuclear attack on Christmas spirit and apple pie.

If you have partially overwritten/physically damage data this is where some software suites that cost money can be justified, as they might make putting the pieces that can be recovered back together into something you might be work with a lot easier.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 11:07 PM
Cheapest Man On Earth

Rep: 76 (Unique: 68)
If all you did was lose the partition data then you can get that fixed fairly easily using TestDisk on your Linux distribution of choice. If you have already written new data on top of it then you will have to shell out bucks I would imagine. I'm pretty sure there are places you can send the drive to, but if I recall correctly it costs about as much as a new computer or more.

I used my trusty LXLE live USB stick on my keychain and installed TestDisk and recovered the partition after doing a quick search for a step by step guide. It just looks for the signatures of the old partition system and restores it. For me it didn't make it bootable again but that wasn't importatn for me and I'm guessing the same for you. After it found it and I told it to write the changes to the partition information I was able to go into the file manager and copy the files over to another USB stick and I was done.

I'm pretty sure I used this guide - https://maanojrakhit.wordpress.com/2009/04/25/testdisk-step-by-step-cgsecurity/ It all works from the terminal. It seems it can be run from other operating systems as well. I would do this if you haven't tried repartitioning it yet.

*Comprehensive Memory Overclocking Guide*
Low Power Ryzen
(5 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 2400G
Motherboard
ASRock B450M-PRO4
RAM
Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Cooling
Tuniq Tower
Operating System
Lubuntu 18.10
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Ok, I just grabbed one that is supposed to perform well. Thanks for the advice guys.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 07:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Ok, I read a review last week. Hope it is useful to you. Good luck. http://imyfone-data-recovery-for-iphone.software.informer.com/
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
You can ask a Windows or Mac data recovery for help if you store the important photos on computer harddrive.
However, for iPhone or other iOS devices, a data recovery iPhone tool can assist you to get out of trouble as well.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 04:36 AM
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 249 (Unique: 187)
Supernecro!

MEGATRON
(17 items)
GIGATRON
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
Gigabyte RX 580
RAM
2x8 G.Skill Trident 3200 CAS14 @ 3466 CAS14
Hard Drive
2x1TB WD Black RAID 0
Hard Drive
3TB WD Red
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
Power Supply
FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Cooling
Stock... hue hue
Case
Thermaltake Core X9
Monitor
Benq XL2411Z
Monitor
Dell U2412M
Monitor
Dell U2412M
Keyboard
KBC Poker II MX Clears
Mouse
Zowie ZA11
Mouse
old school Razer Goliathus
Audio
Aune T1 -> Yamaha A-720 -> Sennheiser HD650 | Sony MDR-XB500
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 @ 2.00GHz
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 @ 2.00GHz
Motherboard
SuperMicro X10DAL-i
GPU
nay
RAM
2x8GB (for now) Kingston DDR4 @ 2133MHz/C16
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 120GB
Power Supply
SeaSonic SS850-AM
Cooling
EK-Vardar F4 on an Arctic Freezer i11
Case
overrated
Operating System
Ubuntu Server 16.04
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in