How do you do this? (wordpress question) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How do you do this? (wordpress question)

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 18)
How do you do this? (wordpress question)

In the pic, you can see that there is a yellow background behind some text. That's just a capture from a blog article. I'm wondering how you get that into wordpress. I don't have M$ Word but I can see that being something they have as a feature in Word. But even if it's something you do in Word, how would you get it into wordpress? From what I can tell, copying and pasting things into Wordpress usually doesn't translate into it being the same on your website. So is there something else I should know here? Some other means where I can put that same yellow background behind certain text?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yellowbehindtext.PNG
Views:	4
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	291028  

"Executing execution.exe"
Bang for the buck
(12 items)
CPU
3570k @ 4.6Ghz @1.35v
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77x UD3H
GPU
evga GTX 970 SSC
RAM
16Gb Gskill Ripjaws 2133Mhz @ 9-11-10-28
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 850
Power Supply
Silverstone 900 watt
Cooling
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
Case
Silverstone Raven (1st edition)
Operating System
Windows 10 Spy Delux
Monitor
Xstar 27" PLS 1440p
Keyboard
Wireless ergonomic
Mouse
Logisys Wireless trackball
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:26 PM
Head Dwarf

Rep: 87 (Unique: 56)
Quote: Originally Posted by PhotonFanatic View Post
In the pic, you can see that there is a yellow background behind some text. That's just a capture from a blog article. I'm wondering how you get that into wordpress. I don't have M$ Word but I can see that being something they have as a feature in Word. But even if it's something you do in Word, how would you get it into wordpress? From what I can tell, copying and pasting things into Wordpress usually doesn't translate into it being the same on your website. So is there something else I should know here? Some other means where I can put that same yellow background behind certain text?

Inline styling would do the trick. You can add it any number of ways. See Highlighting text in color using HTML and CSS for more info, it's fairly easy to follow.

...playin' the lead roll in a dwerg tossing contest.
I like lookin' at square waves and I've never even been in the navy.
Muffler Bearings
(19 items)
CPU
SL Intel® Core™ i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
Motherboard
EVGA X299 DARK
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC
GPU
(2 ea) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G.SKILL F4-3200C14Q2-64GTZ
Hard Drive
(2ea) Intel Optane 900P (480GB)
Hard Drive
(2ea) Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Hard Drive
(2ea) Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
Hard Drive
(1ea) Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
(1ea) Samsung 950 Pro 256GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Custom, 8020x3060 and x2020
Operating System
Win 10 Pro/Ubuntu
Monitor
NEC PA272W-BK-SV
Monitor
Eizo ColorEdge CE240W
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Audio
Bottlehead Mainline Amp
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks! That pretty much solves it. However, I'd still like to ask you if you're aware of another plugin like the one at the top of that article you linked. It seems the article was written in 2014, and the plugin hasn't been supported for the last 3 major releases of wordpress. Since I'm trying to run a business I can't risk the plugin affecting other things. I have to use something current that is known not to cause any issues. So do you know of a newer plugin that has that functionality? I'm something of a wordpress newb myself but I find that I really like it for some reason.

If there isn't one, I'm fine using the text but it would just be cool if there was a plugin for it.

Bang for the buck
(12 items)
CPU
3570k @ 4.6Ghz @1.35v
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77x UD3H
GPU
evga GTX 970 SSC
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 850
Power Supply
Silverstone 900 watt
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Spy Delux
Monitor
Xstar 27" PLS 1440p
Keyboard
Wireless ergonomic
Mouse
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:38 AM
Head Dwarf

Have a look at this link: https://wordpress.org/plugins/tags/highlight/. If I had to pick one I'd go with one that at least adds highlighting (in addition perhaps to other functions), has a high user base (e.g., 1,000+) and a good rating, and is compatible with WP v5.2.2 (the current version). That said, many themes today also provide a highlighting capability, but you'd have to dig into what's available if were you to go that route instead.

Oh, and you might ask, but I couldn't make a recommendation myself because I try to keep plugin use down as much as possible to minimize the use of server resources and additional scripts, and have never had a need for a plugin that adds something like highlighting. If I needed to highlight something, I'd use inline styling.

Good luck!

Muffler Bearings
(19 items)
CPU
SL Intel® Core™ i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
Motherboard
EVGA X299 DARK
GPU
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Operating System
Win 10 Pro/Ubuntu
Monitor
NEC PA272W-BK-SV
Monitor
Eizo ColorEdge CE240W
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Audio
Bottlehead Mainline Amp
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yeah I'm trying to keep plugin use down as well. So I'll see if my theme can do it. I'm using the Divi theme from Elegant Themes. You seem like the one to ask: When I get the site all finished out, I'd like to have a real pro look it over and tell me what needs improvement. Are you aware of such consulting services? I'm learning wordpress pretty well but I'm still not all that familiar with the rest of the industry. I'm sure they exist, but it seems to me like businesses centered around this would be more along the lines of "We build the site and you pay us to do it". Whereas in my case, I'm building the site because I want to run it myself and I want to learn it really well. So instead of having them build it, I want to build it and just have a real pro go through all my work and pick out what needs to be improved.

Bang for the buck
(12 items)
CPU
3570k @ 4.6Ghz @1.35v
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77x UD3H
GPU
evga GTX 970 SSC
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 850
Power Supply
Silverstone 900 watt
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Spy Delux
Monitor
Xstar 27" PLS 1440p
Keyboard
Wireless ergonomic
Mouse
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:00 PM
Head Dwarf

Yeah I'm trying to keep plugin use down as well. So I'll see if my theme can do it. I'm using the Divi theme from Elegant Themes.
Divi facilitates text highlighting via the use of the HTML5 tagset. In Divi's case, that's accomplished via the text view side of the Wordpress post editor.

Quote:
You seem like the one to ask: When I get the site all finished out, I'd like to have a real pro look it over and tell me what needs improvement. Are you aware of such consulting services? I'm learning wordpress pretty well but I'm still not all that familiar with the rest of the industry. I'm sure they exist, but it seems to me like businesses centered around this would be more along the lines of "We build the site and you pay us to do it". Whereas in my case, I'm building the site because I want to run it myself and I want to learn it really well. So instead of having them build it, I want to build it and just have a real pro go through all my work and pick out what needs to be improved.
Yeah, that's pretty much the nature of the beast. Finding a "real pro" who you feel you can trust, knows their stuff, and is willing to work with you based on your preferences above is easier said than done.

Have you looked into the possibility of joining something like a WordPress Users Group near you for help? That's one of the first things I'd recommend in your case because given what you've described--what could be useful to you at this point is facetime with others like yourself. If you're not adverse to using Facebook, you might also try having a look at the WordPress Help for Beginners Public Group there. They've got something upwards of 7,000 members there currently and probably would be a better place to seek out advice about WordPress related stuff than here on OCN.

There was a time when I'd offer my help, but I'm not taking any new work on because I already have enough on my plate and am fairly swamped. I'm also moving toward quasi retirement as I've been doing this stuff for years and feel it's time to pass on the torch.

Again, good luck!

Muffler Bearings
(19 items)
CPU
SL Intel® Core™ i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
Motherboard
EVGA X299 DARK
GPU
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Operating System
Win 10 Pro/Ubuntu
Monitor
NEC PA272W-BK-SV
Monitor
Eizo ColorEdge CE240W
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Audio
Bottlehead Mainline Amp
▲ hide details ▲

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks! Yes I'm a member of a couple facebook groups, and I'll join the one that you linked as well. They are indeed quite helpful. Since you're a veteran, do you have any other advice or words of wisdom that you think a newbie should adhere to?

I fancy myself something of a decent writer, and as such I'm going straight for the end goal: Creating a high end wordpress blog that I write content for, and monetize. I think I've got some good teachers on the monetization part. Gives me confidence cause my mentors really seem to know their stuff when it comes to monetization. Since they've got a proven track record and still run sites that produce every month. As I said earlier I'm looking to turn it into a business that I run, and it's just something I've always wanted to do. I don't know if all of this is completely obvious, the moment someone mentions "Wordpress". Not sure if it's really used for much else.

Bang for the buck
(12 items)
CPU
3570k @ 4.6Ghz @1.35v
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77x UD3H
GPU
evga GTX 970 SSC
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 850
Power Supply
Silverstone 900 watt
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Spy Delux
Monitor
Xstar 27" PLS 1440p
Keyboard
Wireless ergonomic
Mouse
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by iamjanco View Post
Divi facilitates text highlighting via the use of the HTML5 tagset. In Divi's
There was a time when I'd offer my help, but I'm not taking any new work on because I already have enough on my plate and am fairly swamped. I'm also moving toward quasi retirement as I've been doing this stuff for years and feel it's time to pass on the torch.

Again, good luck!
Here's another question for you about plugins:

Like you I want to use as few as possible. In your estimation, how many is too many? I think I'm using 8 right now, but my site is still being built. So that number may increase. I'm hoping I can make it decrease, but we'll see what happens, wordpress just doesn't do everything and some things you just need. The number of plugins will of course vary, but I can narrow it down by saying it's just a blog that will have published articles.

Bang for the buck
(12 items)
CPU
3570k @ 4.6Ghz @1.35v
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77x UD3H
GPU
evga GTX 970 SSC
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 850
Power Supply
Silverstone 900 watt
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Spy Delux
Monitor
Xstar 27" PLS 1440p
Keyboard
Wireless ergonomic
Mouse
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:29 AM
Head Dwarf

Here's another question for you about plugins:

Like you I want to use as few as possible. In your estimation, how many is too many? I think I'm using 8 right now, but my site is still being built. So that number may increase. I'm hoping I can make it decrease, but we'll see what happens, wordpress just doesn't do everything and some things you just need. The number of plugins will of course vary, but I can narrow it down by saying it's just a blog that will have published articles.
It's really not the number of plugins per se that's the problem, it's the number of resources used by the plugins (e.g., server cpu, memory, etc.). Addons come with overhead, and the idea is to try and keep that to as little as possible, especially on shared servers that others are using as well. They also add to page loading times, etc. and poorly scripted/maintained addons and/or those abandoned by their developers cause more more problems than they're worth.

If you want to do it right in the long term, you can start by learning html, css, and at least php and javascript; and learn a little about how servers work and the roles they play in online content. Without all those, web pages wouldn't exist. Yes, it's a lot to put on one's plate, but it's worked for me the past few decades.

Muffler Bearings
(19 items)
CPU
SL Intel® Core™ i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
Motherboard
EVGA X299 DARK
GPU
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Operating System
Win 10 Pro/Ubuntu
Monitor
NEC PA272W-BK-SV
Monitor
Eizo ColorEdge CE240W
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Audio
Bottlehead Mainline Amp
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in