[WKRG] Alabama Legislators Propose Tablets For Grades 9-12 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[WKRG] Alabama Legislators Propose Tablets For Grades 9-12

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Turtle Lives Matter

Rep: 430 (Unique: 331)
Quote:
MONTGOMERY, Alabama --

Two Republican legislators are proposing the state sell up to $100 million in bonds to buy electronic tablets or similar devices for Alabama students in grades nine through 12.

Sen. Gerald Dial of Lineville and Rep. Jim McClendon of Springville said that would allow the students to get digital textbooks, which are cheaper than printed textbooks. Dial said the savings on textbooks should be sufficient to pay off the bonds.

The two legislators said the pen-enabled tablets will hold all the textbooks a student needs. The tablets could also be used by the students to do their homework and to take tests, which will reduce the amount that schools spend on paper.

Source

Not having to carry around a bunch of heavy textbooks sounds great. Obviously there would be much savings on consumables like paper, pencils, pens, and books. I think it would be a huge initial cost to train teachers and set up software/hardware. Text book companies will probably end up charging as much for digital books as they already gouge with regular books, but at least your kid won't destroy or lose a textbook. If these tablets can be obtained for ~$100 (wishful thinking for government contracts) I think this will work out pretty well. So much to think about how this could work, but I really hope that it does. lol at my home state of Alabama (darn near worst school system in the nation) for pushing this.

You guys think this is viable?

FISTBORKUS
(17 items)
CPU
R5 1600 @3850MHz
Motherboard
GA-AX370-Gaming K5
GPU
XFX RX 570 4GB 1435/2100
RAM
2x8GB RipjawsV @3333CL14
Hard Drive
VPN-100 NVMe
Power Supply
SuperNOVA G3 650W
Cooling
TPC-612
Cooling
2x EVGA 120mm FX
Cooling
2x Cooler Master Air Flow 140mm
Cooling
Cougar Vortex 120mm
Case
HAF XB
Operating System
10 Pro
Monitor
Samsung UE590
Keyboard
G105
Mouse
Devastator II
Mouse
Logi M570
Audio
Z623
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 11:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 50 (Unique: 44)
I'm a computer tech for an independent school in North Alabama. Most students use laptops from 8th grade to 12th here. I'd love to see the idea of tablets being used. Currently looking and testing the Lenovo's new Tablet right now for the upcoming year.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 11:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 153 (Unique: 126)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damric View Post

Quote:
MONTGOMERY, Alabama --
Two Republican legislators are proposing the state sell up to $100 million in bonds to buy electronic tablets or similar devices for Alabama students in grades nine through 12.
Sen. Gerald Dial of Lineville and Rep. Jim McClendon of Springville said that would allow the students to get digital textbooks, which are cheaper than printed textbooks. Dial said the savings on textbooks should be sufficient to pay off the bonds.
The two legislators said the pen-enabled tablets will hold all the textbooks a student needs. The tablets could also be used by the students to do their homework and to take tests, which will reduce the amount that schools spend on paper.
Source
Not having to carry around a bunch of heavy textbooks sounds great. Obviously there would be much savings on consumables like paper, pencils, pens, and books. I think it would be a huge initial cost to train teachers and set up software/hardware. Text book companies will probably end up charging as much for digital books as they already gouge with regular books, but at least your kid won't destroy or lose a textbook. If these tablets can be obtained for ~$100 (wishful thinking for government contracts) I think this will work out pretty well. So much to think about how this could work, but I really hope that it does. lol at my home state of Alabama (darn near worst school system in the nation) for pushing this.
You guys think this is viable?

I think it's very viable and it's the direction our education system needs to go. I'm a little suprised that Alabama is the pioneer state in this.

If I could've carried my text books around with my during highschool in this tiny package.... they might of gone futher than my locker >.<.

hehe.

Currently on Hiatus
1nf3ction is a BOSS!
BF3 id: Nocturin3
Disclaimer: IMHO; If you take it otherwise, your doing it wrong.
#OccupyAMD

Warnig: lulz (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by axipher go_quote.gif

That's a good questions, my 3 female room mates use the bathroom upstairs, I just use the shower downstairs, we might have to use the trunk of my car instead, I know that's sterile and has rubber mats and walls in it haha.
Also, more updates biggrin.gif We need to keep this thread somewhat on topic haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsdude go_quote.gif

Yo dawg I heard you like computers in computers so we put a computer in your computer so you can use your computer while...thumb.gif
go_quote.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 12:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 26 (Unique: 23)
If you compare the price of the four or five text books used by a student a year that are replaced very often (or at least are required to be) This could be very affordable. The problem I see is giving this to kids and having other kids steal them or accidently forgetting it is in their back pack and cracking the screen.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 12:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by UbNub View Post

If you compare the price of the four or five text books used by a student a year that are replaced very often (or at least are required to be) This could be very affordable. The problem I see is giving this to kids and having other kids steal them or accidently forgetting it is in their back pack and cracking the screen.

That's my worry. I'm constantly replacing screen on netbooks and laptops at the school I work at.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 693 (Unique: 434)
Someone owns stock in a company that makes tablets...

Anyways, that's cool. I bet the kids are excited.

Certs:
A+
ACMT
Dell ASP; Desktop, Laptop, PowerConnect, PowerEdge, PowerVault

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 284 (Unique: 204)
Being an educator in Alabama, I'm glad they've finally come up with a good idea. I use a Nook Color for a lot of my books now, and it saves money and reduces paper consumption. If this idea was implemented for textbooks, we could see some very real savings for the economy. It would also help push our schools into a curriculum that is more centered around technology as well.

Basically, we need this. This is one of the best ideas to ever come out of Montgomery, and I applaud them for once.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 01:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 676 (Unique: 522)
Good move, lets just hope they are smart and go with e-ink screen, cheap e-readers, or something durable. Not like the many many school districts that say "Macbook/Ipad/laptop?! wow they are pretty, lets hand them out like candy", and they are promptly stolen/broken.

This would be especially great with Safari. You pay a fee, and not only get text books, but when a new revision of a book comes out, you automatically get it for free.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 01:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 02:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 245 (Unique: 218)
Lol I'm in 8th grade and my school has about 80 iPad 2's and we still have printed text books.

{IAM}BARBEQUED_LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlockaFlam2 go_quote.gif

yesterday i was thinking why am i running a 7970 on a $19, mATX mobo?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in