[WIRED]Uber's Self-Driving Car Just Killed Somebody. Now What? - Page 12 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[WIRED]Uber's Self-Driving Car Just Killed Somebody. Now What?

Closed Thread

post #111 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 04:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
A lot of people in this thread are talking about murder charges - this wouldn't be the case.. Manslaughter is the likely highest... Along with felony reckless driving... Here's Why.

Even though the vehicle is autonomous, she is in charge of monitoring the tech.. Not much different from a parent teaching a child how to drive. The parent is in charge of the minors actions.

A better argument, though, is that she is LEGALLY in control of the vehicle. She is sitting in the driver seat. She has access to all of the features a driver has access to. She is legally in possession and in control of the vehicle. This is how most states have the law written.. Why? Well, lets say someone had a lot to drink and is sitting in their car. And the keys are in the ignition.. Started or not, that person is legally OPERATING a motor vehicle under the influence on public roadways...

I have no doubt she'll be charged with felony reckless driving, manslaughter, etc... The video is damning. She had the responsibility to pay attention and she didn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 04:46 PM
Biscuits

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Was the actual human on netflix or something???? How did she not see a person in the road?

My view on this is, that woman may have gotten hit even if it had been under human power, and I don't think this should set back autonomy as much as it WILL set it back....

EDIT: I feel I should add my reasoning for my opinion. The person hit was obviously crossing the road, or out in the road. She also has a responsibility to be careful. Nothing was said about the Volvo doing high speed or anything, so the sole responsibility can NOT be put on the car.

post-flame-small.gif_.=5 GHz Overclock Club=._post-flame-small.gif

Last edited by joeyc; 11-29-2018 at 04:49 PM.
post #113 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 05:04 PM
Unwilling Beta tester

Rep: 867 (Unique: 621)
You guys realise this is an 8 month old thread / article, right?

Quote: Originally Posted by joeyc View Post
Was the actual human on netflix or something????
Hulu, actually.

Although the NTSB's investigation is still ongoing, the preliminary results indicate the cause. The emergency braking system was disabled per Uber's testing protocols to avoid erratic driving (stupid, right?). Instead they rely on the human driver to react to any emergency situations. Clearly this did not happen.

The car spotted the pedestrian 6 seconds before the impact, constantly reclassifying her and trying to work out the probable path she would take. It determined that an emergency stop was required 1.3 seconds before the impact, however could not do that by itself. There was also no mechanism to alert the human driver, who was clearly not paying attention anyway.

So an avoidable accident (as most accidents are in hindsight), but one from which much can be learned to stop this happening again.

Another source:
https://www.wired.com/story/uber-sel...a-ntsb-report/

Inspiring Quotes
Spoiler!

Last edited by GingerJohn; 11-29-2018 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 05:25 PM
Otherworlder

Rep: 213 (Unique: 121)
Quote: Originally Posted by GingerJohn View Post
The car spotted the pedestrian 6 seconds before the impact, constantly reclassifying her and trying to work out the probable path she would take. It determined that an emergency stop was required 1.3 seconds before the impact, however could not do that by itself. There was also no mechanism to alert the human driver, who was clearly not paying attention anyway.

So an avoidable accident (as most accidents are in hindsight), but one from which much can be learned to stop this happening again.

Another source:
https://www.wired.com/story/uber-sel...a-ntsb-report/

the car definitely needs preemptive warning for both the driver and the pedestrians, e.g. a siren beeping once when collision "can" occur.
edit: in fact, wasn't the car's loud horn made just for this purpose? its unintuitive for the car's design to not make use of this.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.

Last edited by epic1337; 11-29-2018 at 05:51 PM.
post #115 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:25 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 103 (Unique: 92)
Pedestrian seems like the culprit here. Even if it was the car though, fault or no fault; doesn't matter if you're dead.

If you're at the bottom of the food chain (which you are as a pedestrian), boots on the ground, doesn't matter if it's at work, walking on the street or whatever. You need to have your head on a swivel with maximum situational awareness. You alone are responsible for yourself regardless of who's right it is, who will be wrong if something happens, etc.

I live downtown in a major city, I see it everyday. Pedestrians distracted by electronic devices and/or with zero situational awareness. See people regularly walk right out into traffic mumbling stuff like "the cross now sign is on I'm in the right", the cross now sign and crosswalk isn't a force field, if that truck skids you can be right all you want but you'll be the one who gets paralyzed or worse dead.

I blame first world entitlement, people from third world countries where there are no rules and you basically need to have your A game on anytime you go out in public whether that's for traffic or getting hustled don't seem to fall victim to this type of stuff. This type of stuff seems to claim first world entitlement born in America types walking around earbuds in, face buried deep in their phone with zero idea of what's going on around them.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

post #116 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 05:02 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 284 (Unique: 209)
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in