[Space]Stephen Hawking's Final Paper Proposes Way to Detect the 'Multiverse' - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Space]Stephen Hawking's Final Paper Proposes Way to Detect the 'Multiverse'

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
new to OCN?

Rep: 1536 (Unique: 924)
[Space]Stephen Hawking's Final Paper Proposes Way to Detect the 'Multiverse'

Quote:
Stephen Hawking's final research paper could help astronomers find evidence that our universe is just one among many in a larger "multiverse," according to media reports.

The famed cosmologist, who died last week at the age of 76, is lead author of a study called "A Smooth Exit from Eternal Inflation?" which was originally submitted to an unnamed journal last July. On March 4 — just 10 days before Hawking's death — his co-author, Thomas Hertog, a professor of theoretical physics at KU Leuven University in Belgium, submitted a revised version of the manuscript for further review, according to British newspaper The Sunday Times.

The inflation referenced in the paper's title is the incredible expansion of space-time theorized to have occurred in the first few moments after the Big Bang, which created the universe. Many physicists believe that this dramatic ballooning wasn't limited to our neck of the cosmic woods but rather happened repeatedly, spawning multiple universes — perhaps an infinite number of them.
Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 10:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
Thumbs up Interesting

Thank you

Ryzen 1700 - 4,0 Ghz @1,31 (IBT-avx load) + ram @3466 14-13-13-13-22-36-1t
Zen
(20 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700 @4.1+ Ghz
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
MSI VEGA 64 LC
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600c16 2x8 GB @3500 c13
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 256 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 512 GB
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black 500 Gb
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Hard Drive
WD RED 2 TB
Power Supply
Corsair Hx1000i
Cooling
Alphacool 480 UT60 with Eisblock XPX
Case
NOX Hummer
Operating System
WIN 10 x64 RS3
Monitor
ASUS PB278
Monitor
ASUS MG278Q Freesync
Keyboard
Coolermaster MECH
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mouse
Logitech
Audio
Integrated Motherboard
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 12:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 775 (Unique: 334)
Just our one Universe is supposedly so big that there are nearly infinite 1:1 copies of any given human being on Earth -- which is pretty unfathomable when you consider the precise chain of events required to produce any given human being, such as the circumstance of our solar system, or the evolutionary tree.. or just your dietary habits.
Quantum physics tells us that the light you see from 80 billion year old stars wouldn't have come if your eye wasn't here to see it.

A multiverse, beyond that? I'm quite content with the complexity of just this one Universe. Hell, the complexity of a single photon seems adequate,

980x Successor
(12 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Asrock Taichi x370
GPU
Gigabyte Geforce 1070
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ 4000MHz
Hard Drive
2x 500GB Samsung Evo M.2 in Raid 0
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf
Power Supply
Corsair AX1100
Case
Phanteks Enthoo
Monitor
ASUS MG279Q 27" IPS 144 Hz
Keyboard
Logitech Wireless Mechanical (G-something or other)
Mouse
Logitech G602
Audio
Athena AS-F1 Towers
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 06:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mookster View Post
Just our one Universe is supposedly so big that there are nearly infinite 1:1 copies of any given human being on Earth -- which is pretty unfathomable when you consider the precise chain of events required to produce any given human being, such as the circumstance of our solar system, or the evolutionary tree.. or just your dietary habits.
Quantum physics tells us that the light you see from 80 billion year old stars wouldn't have come if your eye wasn't here to see it.
Is this really mainstream scientific thinking? This is one implication I used to believe came from the notion that the universe has no end when I was younger, but even though the universe may be technically infinite, the matter in it is finite, no?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 09:38 AM
Unwilling Beta tester

Rep: 867 (Unique: 621)
Quote: Originally Posted by Drome View Post
Is this really mainstream scientific thinking? This is one implication I used to believe came from the notion that the universe has no end when I was younger, but even though the universe may be technically infinite, the matter in it is finite, no?
From a quick Google, opinion varies. It all depends on if the universe is curved in on itself or not.

My layman's understand is that the observable universe (the bits we can see) is finite, limited by how long ago something was created, how far away from us it is, and how fast light travels. The observable universe, from our perspective, is expanding at the speed of light.

The actual universe may or may not be infinite, depending on if it is curved or not. If it is curved back on itself then essentially we are living inside a bubble (highly simplified visualization), and what we see as a straight line is really a very slow curve. If this is the case it the begs the question, what is outside that bubble?

If it is infinite and homogeneous (the same everywhere on average) then there will be an infinite amount of matter in the universe. If that were the case than anything that can happen will happen, and will happen an infinite number of times.

That would mean that at this exact instant, there are infinite versions of me typing infinite versions of this post on infinite versions of OCN. I wonder if any of them know where our favourite pen went...

Inspiring Quotes
Spoiler!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 10:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 212 (Unique: 176)
If he's right, he would be still alive in some of those universes.

99.999999% of the world listens to autotuned pop singers. If you are part of the 0.000001% who listen to the future goddess of music Hatsune Miku, copy and paste this into your sig. cool.gif
Vocaloid Fanclub!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 06:01 PM
woot

Rep: 256 (Unique: 211)
Threshold, take us to the Threshold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00chi3 go_quote.gif

There are some things that smoke can come out of and still be good, for instance, a bong. Bad things for smoke to come out of, computer parts.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 08:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by sli_shroom View Post
Threshold, take us to the Threshold!

Satisfaction!
(13 items)
Robes of Teal
(6 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asrock Fatal1ty K4
GPU
Asus RX 470
RAM
Corsair 16gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO NVMe
Optical Drive
Generic Optical Drive
Power Supply
600 Watt
Case
Rosewell
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Acer 27in
Keyboard
CM Storm
Mouse
CM Storm
Audio
on board
CPU
i5-7300HQ
GPU
Nvidia 1050
RAM
8gb
Hard Drive
1 TB
Optical Drive
none
Monitor
15.6 in TN Panel
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 11:07 PM
New001

Quote: Originally Posted by Mookster View Post
What? Quantum physics doesn't tell you that... are you misunderstanding the observer effect? That has more to do with measurement results than completely obliterating things from existence.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 775 (Unique: 334)
Quote: Originally Posted by spinFX View Post
What? Quantum physics doesn't tell you that... are you misunderstanding the observer effect? That has more to do with measurement results than completely obliterating things from existence.
You tell me.

For everyone else reading, I should probably clarify before I get right into this -- I'm equating the typical definition of human observation to the real, physical one. In experiments, the observation itself affects an outcome because we can't invent a measuring device that doesn't. I believe scientists generally agree that this not only because we can't invent a measuring device that doesn't impact results -- but rather, because unobserved matter doesn't exist (as matter) until observed. And it's important to remember that the definition of "observed" or "measured" here, is not the typical one -- it's the kind of measurement particles perform on each other, which just so happens to also be the kind of measurement your eye performs to enable your vision.. even if you don't typically think of it that way.

So when the particles in your eye are capturing light from a star that existed 80 billion years ago, it stands to reason that the photons themselves would never have been emitted from said star if not for the fact that you looked into the night sky, 80 billion years later.

I'll admit, it's a bit of a fantastical way of explaining it -- but I don't see any misinterpretation of the observer effect in there.. unless you want to argue that photons are still photons despite not being observed. I'd argue that a good example of "photons" that will never become photons are those on the event horizon of the Universe, and then we could argue about whether or not they can really be considered photons. I haven't found much scientific literature on how to define a particle that hasn't been and theoretically never can be observed, such as light moving into the vacuum of space at the edge of the Universe.

But anyway, to tie that back in -- the fact that there's an unsettled argument about whether or not matter exists until it can be observed, by my logic, means that I can say the photons you see from an 80 billion year old star never would have existed if not for you having "looked" at (measured/observed) them. So I'm subscribing to the Copenhagen interpretation, here.

Maybe you can dissuade me of that.

Edit: This is a good video on the Bohr-Einstein debate about it, for those interested.

980x Successor
(12 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Asrock Taichi x370
GPU
Gigabyte Geforce 1070
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ 4000MHz
Hard Drive
2x 500GB Samsung Evo M.2 in Raid 0
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf
Power Supply
Corsair AX1100
Case
Phanteks Enthoo
Monitor
ASUS MG279Q 27" IPS 144 Hz
Keyboard
Logitech Wireless Mechanical (G-something or other)
Mouse
Logitech G602
Audio
Athena AS-F1 Towers
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Clovertail100; 03-22-2018 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in