[Itnews]Australia's encryption-busting bill also after PINs, passwords - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Itnews]Australia's encryption-busting bill also after PINs, passwords

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

[Itnews]Australia's encryption-busting bill also after PINs, passwords

Quote:
The government has raised the prospect of using so-called decryption laws to simply get a provider to turn over a user’s PIN or password to get access to a target’s encrypted communications.

While much of the debate on the Assistance and Access Bill so far has concentrated on the prospect of encryption being weakened, the Department of Home Affairs indicated today encryption may not even be its primary target.
Source

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:15 AM
Not a linux lobbyist

Rep: 38 (Unique: 29)
This makes me want to invest in precious metals.
A lot in governments just want to make the world better. Sometimes by spending other's money, sometimes by taking the money of wrongdoers. All of the power they have is taken from their constituents and sometimes they need more to accomplish what they see as best. It's a shame you can't trust 100% of the people in the world.
Those legislators in Australia could have an easier time making things fair and just if the only banks were the gov and the only isps also were. They could try to make pay fair, stop hate speech, bullying and promote a more mindful discourse. They could also try to right the wrongs of wealth inequality. If only they were perfect and impartial this stuff might succeed. They could use ai to help with that.

I wonder if this will affect the value of cryptocurrency? That has a password too.

Precious metals really don't have a good return on investment, even less if you hold the physical stuff. But stuff like this just makes them seem attractive to me.

This, if passed, will be a really big security hole, one that can't be patched.

Edit: my sarcasm was too vague so I removed it

L5
(19 items)
Lea2
(12 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5950hq
Motherboard
z97 Classified
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
16 G Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
16 G Team Extreme @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
Hard Drive
2xSamsung 840 EVO 250G
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design R4 (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Focal Elear
Audio
SoundbasterX AE-5
Other
Megatron
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Asus 780ti DC2OC
GPU
Asus 780ti DC2OC
RAM
8Gb patriot 1600mhz
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
16GB 1600 generic
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
50" samsung plasma 720p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by rluker5; 10-19-2018 at 05:51 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 06:10 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 284 (Unique: 209)
Just watch this: https://www.youtube.com/user/thejuicemedia/videos

AU is going more and more downhill as they struggle they try and create more laws and bureaucracy instead. Oh the people hate AU gov. lets spy on them all so we can "deal with them". It's a damn "police country". You sneeze you go to jail. Oh wait, whole AU already is a jail created by invading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote: Originally Posted by rluker5 View Post
This makes me want to invest in precious metals.
A lot in governments just want to make the world better. Sometimes by spending other's money, sometimes by taking the money of wrongdoers. All of the power they have is taken from their constituents and sometimes they need more to accomplish what they see as best. It's a shame you can't trust 100% of the people in the world.
Those legislators in Australia could have an easier time making things fair and just if the only banks were the gov and the only isps also were. They could try to make pay fair, stop hate speech, bullying and promote a more mindful discourse. They could also try to right the wrongs of wealth inequality. If only they were perfect and impartial this stuff might succeed. They could use ai to help with that.

I wonder if this will affect the value of cryptocurrency? That has a password too.

Precious metals really don't have a good return on investment, even less if you hold the physical stuff. But stuff like this just makes them seem attractive to me.

This, if passed, will be a really big security hole, one that can't be patched.

Edit: my sarcasm was too vague so I removed it
We have all been played in the grand scheme of things. This is all a game to them and I believe this was all a plan to control and steal more of our wealth from all of us from the very start. lol cryptocurrencies the share market and everything is controlled by central banks/institutions(corporations) and dodgy deals that happen behind closed doors. I've unfortunately had over 250 THOUSAND dollars YES DOLLARS of my hard earned money stolen off me and these so called regulators did nothing and sat on it and are allowing a criminal organization to thrive. They all give idle threats like oh we can take down a company, what garbage. If you want to know the name, feel free to PM me but I am not naming names here. Which is why I retired in silence. Broken heart and the law unfortunately is designed to cater to institutions more because hey, if you were to rob a bank, the police would be after you, but institutions can rob you of your hard earned money, that's okay apparently. You are on your own when you try and seek compensation or get that money back by taking legal action meaning more legal expenses.

Unfortunately, everyone is lost in their own bubble and can't see how screwed we all are.No one seems to care anymore. No one.

You just wonder whose side these government are on. They are in bed with the corporations. They are not here in the interest of protecting the public.

Last edited by HowHardCanItBe; 10-19-2018 at 01:47 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 65 (Unique: 47)
Err don't the government already have access to everything anyway? oh wait sorry it's not been made legal yet so we can't talk about that . They also can now demand pins and passwords at security checkpoints like airports and if you refuse it's a massive fine or jail time . Nanny state is becoming dictator state.

Edit, as far as the spying goes remember the government always said "If you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to fear" (lets just ignore the fact that, that quote is Nazi propaganda...)

After playing both Watch Dogs over the last week it does seriously make me wonder how far we are from living in a world like that, then again I suppose we already kind of are living it, cameras and microphones everywhere, governments having access to everything regardless of if it's legal or not... hmm interesting to think about.

Humble SM5 MK2
(23 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard
MSI B350M Mortar Arctic
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR OC
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14D-32GTZKW 32GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G2 850W
Cooling
Corsair H100i V2
Cooling
Corsair ML120 Pro x5
Case
CaseLabs SM5
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB 64-Bit
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Asus VG248QE
Keyboard
WASD CODE 87-Key - Cherry MX Clear
Mouse
Zowie FK1
Mousepad
Artisan ZERO MID Black Large Mouse Pad
Audio
JDS Labs Element
Audio
Sennheiser HD 599
Audio
Samson Q2U
Audio
Swan M50W Powered 2.1 System
Audio
Rode AI1
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Aussiejuggalo; 10-19-2018 at 02:05 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 09:05 PM
Not a linux lobbyist

Rep: 38 (Unique: 29)
Quote: Originally Posted by HowHardCanItBe View Post
We have all been played in the grand scheme of things. This is all a game to them and I believe this was all a plan to control and steal more of our wealth from all of us from the very start. lol cryptocurrencies the share market and everything is controlled by central banks/institutions(corporations) and dodgy deals that happen behind closed doors. I've unfortunately had over 250 THOUSAND dollars YES DOLLARS of my hard earned money stolen off me and these so called regulators did nothing and sat on it and are allowing a criminal organization to thrive. They all give idle threats like oh we can take down a company, what garbage. If you want to know the name, feel free to PM me but I am not naming names here. Which is why I retired in silence. Broken heart and the law unfortunately is designed to cater to institutions more because hey, if you were to rob a bank, the police would be after you, but institutions can rob you of your hard earned money, that's okay apparently. You are on your own when you try and seek compensation or get that money back by taking legal action meaning more legal expenses.

Unfortunately, everyone is lost in their own bubble and can't see how screwed we all are.No one seems to care anymore. No one.

You just wonder whose side these government are on. They are in bed with the corporations. They are not here in the interest of protecting the public.
I like to think of the central banks manipulation of the money supply in a fashion that feeds the rich, the gov consolidation of control over people's assets, and many corporations operating in cooperation with governments to alter the rules in their favor as mostly those looking to steal wealth jumping on the easiest bandwagon. They don't care whose money they take, as long as it lines their pockets. And not everyone is corrupt, just more than enough.
I'm familiar with how the legal system favors money. When my ex and I split, she tried to keep our daughter almost all of the time. She started playing dirty, I went out and got an expensive lawyer, she thought she could get by on the cheap, we have split custody. Totally worth it. I couldn't win that battle against a corporation.

I also like to think I've done well by having no debt, lots of savings, decent retirement built for my age and paid off my house a few years back. But that lack of debt and money in accounts really isn't 100% secure. Just numbers. And that mortgage free house is mine because no one else has put a mortgage on it and I have a couple of pieces of paper to prove it. If the record gets changed are my couple pieces of paper going to be enough? I still have similar papers on previous houses I've sold. This last year I had to tell my insurance company again that I was going to pay the bill myself because I didn't have a mortgage or escrow account and the bank I had my mortgage with had been bought and no longer existed. Records already aren't perfect. The last thing I would need is my limited number of answers to security questions becoming public knowledge because some third shift cop likes to look at the ladies of the internet and doesn't care if his work computer gets messed up. What you had taken probably took years of your efforts to get. The same could happen to me and tons of others. My uncle lost a lot too.

Would be nice if govs would work to assert and protect individual property rights instead of pursuing power over it's constituents. Eventually a whole lot is going to just be taken and closing security holes is just chasing from behind.

This bill giving the Australian gov legal access to possibly enough tools to pretend to be someone and have full control over nearly everything they own isn't a good way to protect property rights. They should have to ask the telephone company for calls and texts, bank for bank records, etc. But that is the sort of thing you would do if your goal was to protect people and their stuff.

L5
(19 items)
Lea2
(12 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5950hq
Motherboard
z97 Classified
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
16 G Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
16 G Team Extreme @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
Hard Drive
2xSamsung 840 EVO 250G
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design R4 (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Focal Elear
Audio
SoundbasterX AE-5
Other
Megatron
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Asus 780ti DC2OC
GPU
Asus 780ti DC2OC
RAM
8Gb patriot 1600mhz
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
16GB 1600 generic
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
50" samsung plasma 720p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 09:30 PM
I Love this Hobby!

Rep: 580 (Unique: 485)
People use to laugh at those giving warnings close to 20 years ago. "Not in a western democratic society" they use to say and oh a good one was also "You're wearing a tin foil hat".

This has been going on for a long time, they are just admitting to it of late or getting their hands caught in the cookie jar.

I mean they were listening to your phone calls back when Marconi was making them and intercepting your telegraphs and letters with the pony express. Never mind the abuses taking place with computer/cell phone software/hardware backdoors and internet intercepts. Your Cars, TVs and toasters are not even safe anymore when it comes to data mining.

No one is surprised by this century old news. 5G with it's mm microwaves will make things even worse not only towards your privacy/personal security but your mental and physical health.

Know that if you use any of these devices, you're potentially a target, be vigilant and act accordingly.

-Guide to 1st Case Modding for Better GPU(s) Performance/Cooling-
https://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...ing-guide
-Guide to 2nd Case Modding for Better GPU(s) Performance/Cooling-
https://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...e-fan-mod
Bit'O'Heaven
(16 items)
Cigar ATX PC
(14 items)
CPU
Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VI Rog Gene
GPU
Gigabyte AMD R9 290 @ 1160GHz Core/1350GHz Mem
GPU
Gigabyte AMD R9 290 @ 1160GHz Core/1350GHz Mem
RAM
G.SKILL Trident X DDR3 16GB 2400MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 PRO 256GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB
Optical Drive
Pioneer Black Blu-ray 16X BD-R 2X BD-RE
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1300W 80PLUS Gold Fully Modular
Cooling
Open Water Loop
Case
Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
Operating System
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Nixeus EDG 27" Freesync 1440p 144Hz
Monitor
Samsung 245BW 24" 1200p 60Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G15
Mouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X5
Mousepad
ALLSOP Redmond Mouse Pad
Audio
Cambridge Soundworks 5.1
CPU
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX mITX
GPU
Sapphire AMD HD 7990
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 8GB 1600MHz
Hard Drive
Crucial SSD 128GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda HDD 1TB
Optical Drive
LG DVD R/W
Power Supply
Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 Fully Modular
Cooling
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100
Case
BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ATX Black Case
Operating System
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Samsung TV 52"
Keyboard
Logitech K330 Wireless
Mouse
Logitech M215 Wireless
Mousepad
Corsair Vengeance MM200
Audio
Yamaha RX-V681 PSB/PolkAudio 5.1
CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 640
Motherboard
ASRock N68C-GS
GPU
NVIDIA 6600GT
RAM
G. Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Blue 500GB 16MB Cache 7200RPM
Optical Drive
LG Optical Drive
Power Supply
Thermaltake TR2 600W
Cooling
Thermaltake Max Orb
Case
Cigar Boxes
Operating System
Windows 7
Monitor
Viewsonic 19” Flatscreen CRT
Keyboard
Gigabyte GK-K6800 103
Mouse
Zalman ZM-M300
Mouse
Corsair Vengeance MM200
▲ hide details ▲

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 09:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 52 (Unique: 36)
Phone companies wised up to this years ago. Most top of the line phones I've seen lately have tap codes (or connect the 9 dots codes). These legally aren't passwords and aren't biometric locks, so warrants for passwords are useless and and borrowing your face or fingerprint futile. Creating sequence generation methods that have yet to be legislated is child's play.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 09:59 AM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 104 (Unique: 93)
Quote: Originally Posted by Chakravant View Post
Phone companies wised up to this years ago. Most top of the line phones I've seen lately have tap codes (or connect the 9 dots codes). These legally aren't passwords and aren't biometric locks, so warrants for passwords are useless and and borrowing your face or fingerprint futile. Creating sequence generation methods that have yet to be legislated is child's play.

Those can be brute forced in like 2 seconds. At the border in many countries there are these black box looking things with a USB cable, they use this to brute force open phones among other things like dump the contents in a side channel attack.

Your only real protection is using brute force proof passwords on your phone which is so inconvenient nobody does it (imagine having to type a 15-20 random character password every time you want to open the lock screen) or learning to use encryption tools that can do things like make hidden volumes which is also not very convenient or applicable for most devices/situations.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 10:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 52 (Unique: 36)
Quote: Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
Those can be brute forced in like 2 seconds. At the border in many countries there are these black box looking things with a USB cable, they use this to brute force open phones among other things like dump the contents in a side channel attack.

Your only real protection is using brute force proof passwords on your phone which is so inconvenient nobody does it (imagine having to type a 15-20 random character password every time you want to open the lock screen) or learning to use encryption tools that can do things like make hidden volumes which is also not very convenient or applicable for most devices/situations.
How can they be brute forced? A: They have # of use timeouts, just like any other method. B: They use an inconsistent number of inputs. This isn't like some 4 or 6 digit pin. The person trying to crack the code doesn't even know how many units to input. Is it 4 taps? Is it 12? You don't know.

Phone insecurities come into play when the passkey is a known set of variables. A PIN key with 4 digits will always have 4 digits. Your face is your face. You have a finite set of fingers. Savvy phone makers are eliminating these kinds of known knowns. That practically guarantees a more secure system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in