Overclock.net banner

[Itnews]Australia's encryption-busting bill also after PINs, passwords

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  HowHardCanItBe 
#1 ·
The government has raised the prospect of using so-called decryption laws to simply get a provider to turn over a user’s PIN or password to get access to a target’s encrypted communications.

While much of the debate on the Assistance and Access Bill so far has concentrated on the prospect of encryption being weakened, the Department of Home Affairs indicated today encryption may not even be its primary target.
Source

#2 · (Edited)
This makes me want to invest in precious metals.
A lot in governments just want to make the world better. Sometimes by spending other's money, sometimes by taking the money of wrongdoers. All of the power they have is taken from their constituents and sometimes they need more to accomplish what they see as best. It's a shame you can't trust 100% of the people in the world.
Those legislators in Australia could have an easier time making things fair and just if the only banks were the gov and the only isps also were. They could try to make pay fair, stop hate speech, bullying and promote a more mindful discourse. They could also try to right the wrongs of wealth inequality. If only they were perfect and impartial this stuff might succeed. They could use ai to help with that.

I wonder if this will affect the value of cryptocurrency? That has a password too.

Precious metals really don't have a good return on investment, even less if you hold the physical stuff. But stuff like this just makes them seem attractive to me.

This, if passed, will be a really big security hole, one that can't be patched.

Edit: my sarcasm was too vague so I removed it

#4 · (Edited)
We have all been played in the grand scheme of things. This is all a game to them and I believe this was all a plan to control and steal more of our wealth from all of us from the very start. lol cryptocurrencies the share market and everything is controlled by central banks/institutions(corporations) and dodgy deals that happen behind closed doors. I've unfortunately had over 250 THOUSAND dollars YES DOLLARS of my hard earned money stolen off me and these so called regulators did nothing and sat on it and are allowing a criminal organization to thrive. They all give idle threats like oh we can take down a company, what garbage. If you want to know the name, feel free to PM me but I am not naming names here. Which is why I retired in silence. Broken heart and the law unfortunately is designed to cater to institutions more because hey, if you were to rob a bank, the police would be after you, but institutions can rob you of your hard earned money, that's okay apparently. You are on your own when you try and seek compensation or get that money back by taking legal action meaning more legal expenses.

Unfortunately, everyone is lost in their own bubble and can't see how screwed we all are.No one seems to care anymore. No one.

You just wonder whose side these government are on. They are in bed with the corporations. They are not here in the interest of protecting the public.

#3 ·
Just watch this: https://www.youtube.com/user/thejuicemedia/videos

AU is going more and more downhill as they struggle they try and create more laws and bureaucracy instead. Oh the people hate AU gov. lets spy on them all so we can "deal with them". It's a damn "police country". You sneeze you go to jail. Oh wait, whole AU already is a jail created by invading.

#5 · (Edited)
Err don't the government already have access to everything anyway? oh wait sorry it's not been made legal yet so we can't talk about that :rolleyes:. They also can now demand pins and passwords at security checkpoints like airports and if you refuse it's a massive fine or jail time :thumb:. Nanny state is becoming dictator state.

Edit, as far as the spying goes remember the government always said "If you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to fear" (lets just ignore the fact that, that quote is Nazi propaganda...)

After playing both Watch Dogs over the last week it does seriously make me wonder how far we are from living in a world like that, then again I suppose we already kind of are living it, cameras and microphones everywhere, governments having access to everything regardless of if it's legal or not... hmm interesting to think about.

#7 ·
People use to laugh at those giving warnings close to 20 years ago. "Not in a western democratic society" they use to say and oh a good one was also "You're wearing a tin foil hat".

This has been going on for a long time, they are just admitting to it of late or getting their hands caught in the cookie jar.

I mean they were listening to your phone calls back when Marconi was making them and intercepting your telegraphs and letters with the pony express. Never mind the abuses taking place with computer/cell phone software/hardware backdoors and internet intercepts. Your Cars, TVs and toasters are not even safe anymore when it comes to data mining.

No one is surprised by this century old news. 5G with it's mm microwaves will make things even worse not only towards your privacy/personal security but your mental and physical health.

Know that if you use any of these devices, you're potentially a target, be vigilant and act accordingly.

#8 ·
Phone companies wised up to this years ago. Most top of the line phones I've seen lately have tap codes (or connect the 9 dots codes). These legally aren't passwords and aren't biometric locks, so warrants for passwords are useless and and borrowing your face or fingerprint futile. Creating sequence generation methods that have yet to be legislated is child's play.

#9 ·
Those can be brute forced in like 2 seconds. At the border in many countries there are these black box looking things with a USB cable, they use this to brute force open phones among other things like dump the contents in a side channel attack.

Your only real protection is using brute force proof passwords on your phone which is so inconvenient nobody does it (imagine having to type a 15-20 random character password every time you want to open the lock screen) or learning to use encryption tools that can do things like make hidden volumes which is also not very convenient or applicable for most devices/situations.

#12 ·
Some ROMs allow you to use larger grids than the standard 3x3, but because they all have the limitation that no node can be reused there are far fewer possible combinations than there otherwise could be.

#13 ·
Even a 5x5 (i.e. 25 characters) is pretty laughable if you cannot reuse any symbol and you have a GPU brute forcing full speed. If you want to protect against dedicated hacking attempts who have access to your physical hardware you need to be pretty hardcore about passwords. I like Diceware for human remember-able (at least somewhat) anti-nation state level encryption keys. A PIN or anything similar is not going to cut it, we need 16+ symbols if there are only ~35 and you can reuse them.

However, this only help if the encryption was not already compromised. If this law actually took effect I would expect black market hacking groups to have at least one back door inside a year. I say make encryption illegal instead, if you think people shouldn't be able to hide anything from the government. Fake encryption simply fools people into bad behavior because of the illusion it is secure.

#15 ·
However, this only help if the encryption was not already compromised. If this law actually took effect I would expect black market hacking groups to have at least one back door inside a year.

I figure most things, almost everything really (all encryption, software whether open source or not) likely has some kind of zero day or what NSA described as "only for us" exploits. There's various anti-freedom IT/tech security companies that pay upwards of $300,000 for zero days on iPhones and the likes; like jailbreaks (root access) and stuff like that.

The thing with those though is unless you're Edward Snowden himself it's unlikely they would ever waste a zero day exploit on you. You could be Pablo Escobar raking in millions and in the west due to the nature of our public court systems the three letter agencies would likely never waste an exploit like that since it would have to be made public and therefore useless after that. Basically if you keep your illegal stuff bellow Osama levels you should be good from zero days in encryption.

#14 · (Edited)
Just another attempt by corporations to steal more of our identity and ourselves. No sense of personal freedom. That freedom is when they'll decide at a given price. Meanwhile, those criminal friends at wallstreet and the sharemarket can cause chaos and destruction whenever they want and not get jailed. Meanwhile the public stays woefully ignorant, blinded. No wonder we can't change the things here because from the very beginning corporations have ruled this place. Meanwhile, a few of us develop self awarenessness.

#16 ·
Government = Legal Mafia

I think more and more are starting to wake up to these scumbags. It won't end well.

#17 · (Edited)
Most of it is down to corporations owning and controlling everything. Unfortunately, it is you and I that have to suffer due to the past generation's ignorance. They obviously want to introduce these laws to spy on Australians and basically funnel traffic through there. Maybe when our generation wakes up, instead of using facebook all the time, we could work to fix this crap but I doubt it. Ignorance is a great way to steal wealth and control from others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.