[The Guardian] Twisted fibre optic light breakthrough could make the Internet 100 times faster - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[The Guardian] Twisted fibre optic light breakthrough could make the Internet 100 times faster

post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 07:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post
Honestly speaking, these "breakthroughs" are cool but they have almost zero practical application in the real world. We aren't even tapping into the maximum capability of what a coaxial cable can handle, much less actual fiber connections, so why are people trying to progress beyond that for the general public, or even enterprise, for that matter?

You can push gigabit speeds through coaxial connections, easily. Why aren't they doing it? Money.
8K TVs arriving in couple years...still not many 4K content out there, but it'll surely drive demand for more bandwidth. What we used to do everyday is going to require 16x more bandwidth (from 1080p30 to 8K30). People are broadcasting themselves, too. Imagine the future data traffic going both inbound and outbound. Watching YouTube on the phone/tablet/computer while streaming 8K netflix on the TV...it's really growing exponentially. ISPs will be urged to steal competitor's loyal customers, and providing better service at affordable price is the smart way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 01:11 AM
Laptop Enthusiast

Rep: 447 (Unique: 333)
Quote: Originally Posted by drewafx View Post
8K TVs arriving in couple years...still not many 4K content out there, but it'll surely drive demand for more bandwidth. What we used to do everyday is going to require 16x more bandwidth (from 1080p30 to 8K30). People are broadcasting themselves, too. Imagine the future data traffic going both inbound and outbound. Watching YouTube on the phone/tablet/computer while streaming 8K netflix on the TV...it's really growing exponentially. ISPs will be urged to steal competitor's loyal customers, and providing better service at affordable price is the smart way.

And how many TV shows are actively supporting beyond 1080p today? 4K screens aren't new, they've been around for a while, but the commercial industry rarely taps into 1080p and almost never, unless it's a nature channel or something from like National Geography, pushes up to 4K. You claim it'll drive the demand for more bandwidth. That didn't happen when 4K screens came out! What makes you think it'll force anyone's hand once that resolution grows higher?

And in any case, coaxial can handle 500/500 connections all day long, so the bandwidth is there, it's merely a matter of getting the ISPs to provide that bandwidth. If anything, all they'll do is provide a new top tier for double the available bandwidth and... everyone else will stay the same. That's all they ever do and all they ever have done in the past.

SKYNET Mobile v3.0
(12 items)
Inspiring Greatness
(13 items)
CPU
i7-8750H @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard
Intel HM370
GPU
6GB GTX 1060
RAM
32GB DDR4 2666
Hard Drive
256GB SSD
Hard Drive
500GB Samsung 840 Pro
Power Supply
180w Power Adapter
Case
Tongfang GK5CN6Z
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
1920x1080 144hz IPS Display
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus
Mousepad
Xtrac Ripper
CPU
Intel Core i5-6300HQ
Motherboard
Dell Proprietary
GPU
4GB Nvidia GTX 960M
RAM
Samsung 12GB (1x8GB 1x4GB) DDR3L 1600 MHz
Hard Drive
256GB SanDisk M.2 SSD
Hard Drive
1TB HGST 7.2k HDD
Power Supply
130w PSU
Cooling
Custom Cooling by Dell Solutions
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
Monitor
15.6" 1920x1080 IPS Screen
Keyboard
Dell
Mouse
Logitech G602 Wireless
Mouse
Xtrac 'Ripper' Mouse Pad
▲ hide details ▲
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 03:16 AM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3135 (Unique: 1869)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post
Pointing out that the speed of light in media is not fixed is not the same as claiming it can be "significantly closed" in the specific case of telecommunications fiber.
I made no such claim.

My statement of "in this regard" was in regard to the speed of light itself, not practical telecom fiber implementations.

The former is true, the latter is much less likely to be true.
Until the speed of light through whatever medium is used for telecommunications is insignificantly slower than speed of light through a vaccum, there will be significant room for improvement.

I have no idea how to make a practical spacecraft that could travel near the speed of light, but until there is such a craft, there will be significant room for the improvement of spacecraft velocity. Similar premise.

If you want, I can go into more detail on it as optical engineering is my profession, but you seem to just want to poke holes while knowing little about the details.
Someone mentioned light not being able to go any faster than it does through glass fiber, thus there there being no room for improvements in latency in that regard.

I point out that the "speed of light" varies depending on the medium it travels through and use a hollow fiber (where light is mostly traveling through air) as an example of a way to transmit light at much closer to it's maximum speed.

That's the sum of the details relevant to my point.

If you want to explain why we can't maintain adequate signal strength through long runs of hollow fibers, go right ahead, but even if you describe it as a virtual impossibility (and I'll even take you at your word), it's still completely beside the point.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 12:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 217 (Unique: 135)
And how many TV shows are actively supporting beyond 1080p today? 4K screens aren't new, they've been around for a while, but the commercial industry rarely taps into 1080p and almost never, unless it's a nature channel or something from like National Geography, pushes up to 4K. You claim it'll drive the demand for more bandwidth. That didn't happen when 4K screens came out! What makes you think it'll force anyone's hand once that resolution grows higher?

And in any case, coaxial can handle 500/500 connections all day long, so the bandwidth is there, it's merely a matter of getting the ISPs to provide that bandwidth. If anything, all they'll do is provide a new top tier for double the available bandwidth and... everyone else will stay the same. That's all they ever do and all they ever have done in the past.
500/500 to where? To a node on your street?

Many people are still on multi-drop coax networks. 1000/1000 is only enough for a tenth of that or less due to other users on the network. Upstream is also heavily limited by the capability of the DCE to transmit over the long runs back to the node.

HP-UX. I came, I saw, I was sad it would not run on my X86 box.
skull.gif [Official]AMD RX 480/ 470/ 460 Owners Club skull.gif
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 07:29 AM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Rep: 371 (Unique: 184)
Honestly speaking, these "breakthroughs" are cool but they have almost zero practical application in the real world. We aren't even tapping into the maximum capability of what a coaxial cable can handle, much less actual fiber connections, so why are people trying to progress beyond that for the general public, or even enterprise, for that matter?

You can push gigabit speeds through coaxial connections, easily. Why aren't they doing it? Money.
Er...what?!

The demand for data transmission is utterly staggering, that's your real world practical application. A single fiber holds orders of magnitude more data than a coax conductor, at much lower latency over much, much, MUCH longer distances. Where are you getting these claims from?
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 09:08 PM
AMD Fanboy Using Nvidia

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Whats the point when everything is capped/throttled? Ive run through my 1tb cap 2 months running. I love how comcast used to think 300GB was a realistic cap. WE ARE A 4 PERSON HOUSEHOLD 1TB IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. On top of that every morning between 2am and 4am my speeds are throttled from 350mb/s to 20mb/s. Comcast blames high usage in my area. ITS 4AM ON A WEEKDAY IN A TOWN WHOS AVERAGE AGE IS 65Y/O, WHO THE **** IS USING ENOUGH BANDWITH TO THROTTLE A NEIBORHOOD, NO ONE, THATS WHO CRAPCAST! ........ sorry for getting heated.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 02:42 AM
Panzerjäger Tiger Ausf. B

Rep: 47 (Unique: 29)
Er...what?!

The demand for data transmission is utterly staggering, that's your real world practical application. A single fiber holds orders of magnitude more data than a coax conductor, at much lower latency over much, much, MUCH longer distances. Where are you getting these claims from?
Top it off its symmetric, none of that asymmetric rubbish that docsis is... (100/10 in my case, pfff....)

Dark Repulser
(21 items)
CPU
Intel I5 4670K
Motherboard
MSI Z87-G55 (MS-7821)
GPU
Sapphire R9 290X
RAM
2xCORSAIR 8GB Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz CL9 CML8GX3M1A1600C9
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 850 Pro
Power Supply
XFX Pro 650W Modular Edition
Cooling
2x Laing DDC-Pumpe 12V DDC-1Plus with aquacover dual ddc top
Cooling
Aquacomputer aquaero 6 XT
Cooling
2x alphacool nexxxos xt45 360
Cooling
Koolance VID-AR290X Water Block
Cooling
Aquacomputer cuplex kryos PRO
Cooling
Phobya reservoir
Case
Fractal Design Define S
Operating System
Windows 7 HP
Operating System
Kubuntu
Monitor
LG IPS277L
Monitor
LG W2486L
Monitor
LG 27MU67-B
Keyboard
SpeedLink DarkSky black
Mouse
Logitech M705
Audio
Integrated devices
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 06:00 AM
Hey I get one of these!

Rep: 307 (Unique: 217)

Are... you not aware that standards like 400gbps and 1tbps exist?

The backbone of the internet is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaar beyond whatever petty speeds you can buy.

Forge
(18 items)
Forge-LT
(7 items)
CPU
AMD Threadripper 1950X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X399 Designare
GPU
EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid
GPU
EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid
RAM
32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB (4x8GB 3200Mhz 14-14-14)
Hard Drive
Intel 900P 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
EK Predator 240
Case
Corsair Graphite 780T
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise x64
Monitor
2x Acer XR341CK
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB
Mouse
Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB
Audio
Sennheiser HD700
Audio
Sound Blaster AE-5
Audio
Audio Technica AT4040
Audio
30ART Mic Tube Amp
CPU
i7-4720HQ
Motherboard
UX501JW-UB71T
GPU
GTX 960m
RAM
16GB 1600 9-9-9-27
Hard Drive
512GB PCI-e SSD
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
4k IPS
▲ hide details ▲
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 07:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 338 (Unique: 248)
Quote: Originally Posted by KyadCK View Post

The backbone of the internet is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaar beyond whatever petty speeds you can buy.

yep
https://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/in...la-in-1-second
https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/25/1...abits-a-second

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 09:51 AM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Rep: 371 (Unique: 184)
Quote: Originally Posted by KyadCK View Post

Clearly he isn't. Keep in mind, that 400Gb/s is for ONE CHANNEL. A typical fiber might use, say, 40. Or more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in