[The Guardian] Twisted fibre optic light breakthrough could make the Internet 100 times faster - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[The Guardian] Twisted fibre optic light breakthrough could make the Internet 100 times faster

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 71)
[The Guardian] Twisted fibre optic light breakthrough could make the Internet 100 times faster

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...0-times-faster

Quote:
Researchers say they have developed tiny readers that can detect information in light spirals
Quote:
Fibre optic cables use pulses of light to transmit information, but currently information can only be stored through the colour of the light, and whether the wave is horizontal or vertical.

By twisting light into a spiral, engineers effectively create a third dimension for light to carry information: the level of orbital angular momentum, or spin. “It’s like DNA, if you look at the double helix spiral,” said Min Gu from RMIT University. “The more you can use angular momentum the more information you can carry.”
Quote:
Researchers in the US had previously created a fibre that could twist light, but Gu’s team is the first to create a reasonable-size detector that can read the information it holds.

Previous detectors were “the size of a dining table”, but the new detector is the width of a human hair. “We could produce the first chip that could detect this twisting and display it for mobile application,” Gu said.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:09 AM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Rep: 370 (Unique: 183)
That quote isn't entirely accurate. Wavelength division multiplexing and polarization division multiplexing are only two of several options that we currently have available.

Using orbital angular momentum is cool, but there are other ways of cramming light in to up the number of signals transmitted per piece of glass that are more promising at the moment.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 10:31 AM
Otherworlder

Rep: 213 (Unique: 121)
define "faster", e.g. more bandwidth or less latency?

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 11:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 328 (Unique: 240)
Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

More bandwidth. Light cannot go any faster so no way to improve latency there. I would actually think that this method of bandwidth increase might increase latency. Because instead of a straight shot with the laser it is instead traveling around in a spiral making it need to traverse more distance for the same length of wire.
Anyway, encoding additional information through various methods always would mean more bandwidth for the signal.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 11:20 AM
Otherworlder

Rep: 213 (Unique: 121)
Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
More bandwidth. Light cannot go any faster so no way to improve latency there. I would actually think that this method of bandwidth increase might increase latency. Because instead of a straight shot with the laser it is instead traveling around in a spiral making it need to traverse more distance for the same length of wire.
Anyway, encoding additional information through various methods always would mean more bandwidth for the signal.
i thought as much.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 12:52 PM
Indentified! On the Way!!

Rep: 150 (Unique: 112)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post
That quote isn't entirely accurate. Wavelength division multiplexing and polarization division multiplexing are only two of several options that we currently have available.

Using orbital angular momentum is cool, but there are other ways of cramming light in to up the number of signals transmitted per piece of glass that are more promising at the moment.
First, let me admit that I'm WAY out of my depth here and you clearly seem to know what you're talking about.

Is this method discussed in the article not "good?" Or is it not feasible? I'm just trying to clearly understand what you mean. I find this topic fascinating. However, fascinated, like me watching brain surgery!! lol It's cool, but I just don't get it.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 12:53 PM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Rep: 370 (Unique: 183)
Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
Because instead of a straight shot with the laser it is instead traveling around in a spiral making it need to traverse more distance for the same length of wire.
Not necessarily. I'd have to check the mode math on it to see if there's a difference in phase or group velocity, but keep in mind you're comparing it to traditional fiber optics, not freespace transmission.

Quote: Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post
First, let me admit that I'm WAY out of my depth here and you clearly seem to know what you're talking about.

Is this method discussed in the article not "good?" Or is it not feasible? I'm just trying to clearly understand what you mean. I find this topic fascinating. However, fascinated, like me watching brain surgery!! lol It's cool, but I just don't get it.
Light is pretty damn complicated. The normal treatment most people get in science classes is that it's an electromagnetic wave, and that electric field oscillates up and down as the light travels. Up and down defines polarization, and left and right is the other polarization state.

What's more complicated is that light also has momentum, and in particular angular momentum. The fiber they made allows you to adjust the angular momentum and use that to perform signal multiplexing, so that a signal at one angular momentum is distinguishable from a signal at a different angular momentum. Some fancy math later, and now you've doubled the amount of light you can put on the fiber (within some limits).

I haven't actually read up on this so I'm not sure how far it can go, but all of the telecom industry is trying to figure out how to get more signals on the same link. Laying cables is expensive, and if you have to run another one then that's a big deal.

But, you also have to have the full back-end equipment capable of splitting the light back out again, so the practical effects of this development mean that implementation may take a long time, or it may never be commercially viable.

Last edited by Mand12; 10-25-2018 at 01:00 PM.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 433 (Unique: 289)
Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post
Lol

Good one, obviously less bottle-necking due to bandwidth limitations.

This is just wild, I actually said Wow out load.

READ this thread before starting your first build!!!
ALWAYS power up a Mobo Before installing it! Consider Less than helpful posts as Free Bumps.
devil-smiley-019.gif¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇthumbsupsmiley.pngsozo.gifRetro Rulezsozo.gif

If you can't afford to lose it don't mod or OC it.
At least read the ENTIRE OP before commenting.

Semper Fi

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:56 PM
Linux > All

Rep: 60 (Unique: 55)
Quote:
[The Guardian] Twisted fibre optic light breakthrough could make the Internet 100 times faster everywhere other than the United States
Fixed it for you.

yessir.gif[Free Your Mind!]yessir.gif
devil.gif
echo"The`uname`Club"devil.gif

"Figure out everything you want in life right now, then plan on spending the next 25 years getting it piece by piece..."

Think Different. List of Linux System Builders / Retailers
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 07:27 PM
Indentified! On the Way!!

Rep: 150 (Unique: 112)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post
Not necessarily. I'd have to check the mode math on it to see if there's a difference in phase or group velocity, but keep in mind you're comparing it to traditional fiber optics, not freespace transmission.

Light is pretty damn complicated. The normal treatment most people get in science classes is that it's an electromagnetic wave, and that electric field oscillates up and down as the light travels. Up and down defines polarization, and left and right is the other polarization state.

What's more complicated is that light also has momentum, and in particular angular momentum. The fiber they made allows you to adjust the angular momentum and use that to perform signal multiplexing, so that a signal at one angular momentum is distinguishable from a signal at a different angular momentum. Some fancy math later, and now you've doubled the amount of light you can put on the fiber (within some limits).

I haven't actually read up on this so I'm not sure how far it can go, but all of the telecom industry is trying to figure out how to get more signals on the same link. Laying cables is expensive, and if you have to run another one then that's a big deal.

But, you also have to have the full back-end equipment capable of splitting the light back out again, so the practical effects of this development mean that implementation may take a long time, or it may never be commercially viable.
Thank you. I think I got the gist of it. I appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in