[SpreadPrivacy]Measuring the "Filter Bubble": How Google is influencing what you click - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[SpreadPrivacy]Measuring the "Filter Bubble": How Google is influencing what you click

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:38 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 327 (Unique: 232)
Google still hasn't creeped me out like FB... having a discussion about insomnia in a private message then all of a sudden seeing a lot of melatonin and sleep aid ads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 01:20 AM
mfw

Rep: 390 (Unique: 203)
Quote: Originally Posted by Omega X View Post
How is that better? Nothing was improved, you just parroted my music searches back to me.
I'm just trying to ascertain what your expectations about Google products were. It doesn't seem logical to me to be complaining about something that exists by design.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 03:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 138 (Unique: 122)
the bigger the company, the less you can trust them.

I shifted away from Google services nearly 10 years ago and have been diversifying into many other companies ever since.

Quote: Originally Posted by Mrzev View Post
The smaller the company, the more likely it will be abused (IMO)..
I have the opposite view. A small, reputable company has considerably more to lose with bad policies or practices then a multinational giant - where corruption could be spreading through it's ranks unnoticed.

Umbra
(10 items)
CPU
i7 7700K
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix z270i ITX
GPU
Zotac 1070 Mini
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB) DDR4
Hard Drive
2x 2TB Seagate Guardian Barracuda 2.5"
Hard Drive
M.2 Western Digital Black 256GB
Optical Drive
Panasonic UJ-265 SATA Slot Blu-ray Writer
Power Supply
700w Silverstone SST-SX700-LPT SFX
Cooling
Heatkiller v3 CPU Block
Case
Cougar QBX Mini
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Thingamajig; 12-06-2018 at 03:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 05:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 76)
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post
Well that's your first mistake.
I strongly disagree. Ads are not bad. Ads overly intrusive , memory leak, virus ads are the problem. As I am typing this, i see an add for Google Cloud saying "Get G Suite. Choose your own Domain". Its big, sure, but you know what it does???? It pays for this site. Granted that add probably only gives OCN $0.01, but at the same time, my resource usage cost is less than that. Ads are required for free content unless they beg for donations. Wikipedia doesn't have ads, but at the same time, i get a massive message at the top asking for donations. It's the same thing to me. I could pirate movies for convenience and to save money, but that's morally wrong. Disabling ads on a site is stealing from them too IMO. I really appreciate when free services offer paid subscriptions to remove ads. Twitch, Youtube, Spotify, even OCN does this.

Do you block ads from OCN?

Quote: Originally Posted by Thingamajig View Post
I have the opposite view. A small, reputable company has considerably more to lose with bad policies or practices then a multinational giant - where corruption could be spreading through it's ranks unnoticed.
Larger companies have a lot more resources dedicated to security and policies. Do you think it would be easier to hack into googles servers to get my search data, or to hack into duckduckgo to get that same info? I also feel that DuckDuckGo also is more likley to sell out to some other company that you may not like. You also dont have as many people keeping an eye on DuckDuckGo as you do google. Google is active enough to realize hey, someone hacked our security, while DuckDuckGo might not. I sure wouldn't know if someone hacked into my systems and pulled data out. Your not wrong tho. They both have their ups and downs.

Last edited by Mrzev; 12-06-2018 at 05:18 AM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 09:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
It seems DuckDuckGo has received much attention lately, but I still prefer Startpage. For once, having relied on Google before, the search algorithms are still the same (save any filters based on your personal search preferences, obviously), so Google users would adapt quickly to it. Then, Startpage offers to use EU servers exclusively (based in the Netherlands, I think). Last I checked, DuckDuckGo servers are based partially or even solely in the US (*shudders*).
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 09:46 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 71 (Unique: 55)
Hi,
Yeah duck... is just fine no problems so far been using it for year or so
Google really has shown it's ass lately as to why they should be avoided like the plague same as facebook/ twit's are us lol ...

CPU
i9-9940x With Heatkiller IV Pro and VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 05:25 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 119 (Unique: 103)
It's nice that this article highlights the fact that people are browser finger printed and it's something most people don't even know exists (even guys on this very forum for that matter). Avoiding browser finger printing is way more complex than using some incognito/private mode which isn't actually private nowadays.

Avoiding browser finger printing is tricky. If you block everything, so using a VPN, Firefox + a hardened about:config setup all with script blockers, ad blockers, canvas blockers, local CDN emulation add-ons, etc... You get lumped into the 1% of users that are knowledgeable enough to know about such tracking techniques and how to block them, so that in itself identifies you.

SO you would rather have search results based on popularity and not based around your profile? When i google beaglebone, i don't want to see a beagle holding a bone. Id rather see the device. Its like tailored ads. If I am going to see an advertisement, id rather see Create an account on Amazon AWS today and get 10$ credit.... and not some perfume.

I had this conversation with a co-worker the other day. The more data you accumulate the more you can do with it. Like Google sending you an email because it saw you booked a flight to another country, and notified you that your Passport will expire soon. Scary, but at the same time, your not Bob... your ID:1239147957987, and ID:1239147957987's passport is about to expire. The problem is that it can be abused. The smaller the company, the more likely it will be abused (IMO). Google knows by gps info from my phone, where i work, the hours I work, and where I live. If criminals had that information, there would probably be a lot more home theft.
That was a slightly positive spin on what that targeted marketing can do, here's another one though... That targeted marketing is basically exactly what happened in the 2016 election on both sides. Both camps basically got reflected back content that they agreed with on all the popular social platforms and you're left with the stupid result we have today. Basically one side is being fed hardcore antifa SJW'ness and the other that everything is fake news, MSM is lying all the time, everything is fake, pizzagate, reptilian conspiracy stuff, etc...

Nowadays with the information that's available you'd have to be naive to trust big corporations.

I see this all the time though, it's like a mental defense mechanism. People purposefully put the blinders on, place blind trust in the big corps of the digital world even though there's plenty of evidence to the contrary because they can't handle the alternative in their mind; they don't wanna stop using said services or come to terms with the fact that they might have to give something up or not use something.

Here's your trustworthy big corps in recent news...

AP news unveiled that Google track's peoples locations even after toggling off the location button.
https://fossbytes.com/google-gdpr-vi...tion-tracking/

Google Home Handed Over Data More Than 300 Times To Governments
https://fossbytes.com/google-nest-ha...a-governments/

Facebook's Internal Emails Suggest Calls & Text Data Was Collected Without Consent
https://fossbytes.com/facbooks-inter...thout-consent/

Ads are required for free content unless they beg for donations. Wikipedia doesn't have ads, but at the same time, i get a massive message at the top asking for donations. It's the same thing to me. I could pirate movies for convenience and to save money, but that's morally wrong. Disabling ads on a site is stealing from them too IMO. I really appreciate when free services offer paid subscriptions to remove ads. Twitch, Youtube, Spotify, even OCN does this.
Real internet sites don't use ads or make revenue their primary model.

The entire concept of the internet originally revolved around it being a free medium for sharing and spreading knowledge/an educational platform. The OG's of the internet still live by that principle, this is why you have the foss community which is the really the "real" internet. The over commercialization on the net, eCommerce, web 2.0 as you see it now or "the internet" for most people, mainly evolving around the big four players (Google, Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft) is actually a bastardization of what the internet was supposed to be about if you listen to what the original creators/fathers of the internet say about what their intentions were.

Larger companies have a lot more resources dedicated to security and policies. Do you think it would be easier to hack into googles servers to get my search data, or to hack into duckduckgo to get that same info? I also feel that DuckDuckGo also is more likley to sell out to some other company that you may not like. You also dont have as many people keeping an eye on DuckDuckGo as you do google. Google is active enough to realize hey, someone hacked our security, while DuckDuckGo might not. I sure wouldn't know if someone hacked into my systems and pulled data out. Your not wrong tho. They both have their ups and downs.
This thing about large companies somehow means more secure again...

The Linux foundation, the dev team for Ubuntu and all the other distros is basically a bunch of hobbyists that contribute spare time to stuff yet they are continuously out and ahead of big corporations like Microsoft when it comes to releasing security updates for vulnerabilities, etc.

Small independent email companies have been documented resisting government warrants for information while these awesome big companies you speak of simply hand over the information voluntarily.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by xJumper; 12-06-2018 at 06:07 PM.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 02:52 AM
News Fiend

Only time I use google anymore is when I want my results to include forum/reddit posts since a lot of other engines don't seem to come back with many hits from those types of sites. Been a while since I've tried Duckduckgo how is it doing on that front?

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 9
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 10:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 170 (Unique: 106)
Quote: Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post
Only time I use google anymore is when I want my results to include forum/reddit posts since a lot of other engines don't seem to come back with many hits from those types of sites. Been a while since I've tried Duckduckgo how is it doing on that front?
True, especially when looking for tech related info from support forums.

CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X470-Pro
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra
RAM
TeamGroup T-Force 16 GB (2x8) Pro Dark (B-die TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01)
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum SSR-750PX
Cooling
Corsair H80i (not V2 or GT)
Monitor
LG 34UC80-B
Keyboard
Logitech G413
Mouse
Logitech G503 RGB
Audio
Creative SoundBlaster Z (OEM)
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 12:38 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 119 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post
Been a while since I've tried Duckduckgo how is it doing on that front?
Still sucks, Startpage is a lot better as it's basically Google but anonymized so you get "natural" Google results. There's also Qwant and Searx if you're up for a more in-depth experience.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in