[SpreadPrivacy]Measuring the "Filter Bubble": How Google is influencing what you click - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[SpreadPrivacy]Measuring the "Filter Bubble": How Google is influencing what you click

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter
What should be here ?

Rep: 358 (Unique: 256)
[SpreadPrivacy]Measuring the "Filter Bubble": How Google is influencing what you click

Quote:
We often hear of confusion that private browsing mode enables anonymity on the web, but this finding demonstrates that Google tailors search results regardless of browsing mode. People should not be lulled into a false sense of security that so-called "incognito" mode makes them anonymous.
Source

#2 their debt is insane, even for a "diverse field" company. They cannot even afford to service the debt maintenance let alone make an actual dent in the debt itself. - Internet Stranger

Last edited by ryan92084; 12-07-2018 at 03:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 01:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
I think the last time I did a "Google" search was three months ago.

There was a bit of friction moving from Google to Duck Duck Go a few years ago, but at this point either Duck Duck Go is just good enough or I generally don't care that Google does it better.
It's even a default option on iOS.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 01:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post

There was a bit of friction moving from Google to Duck Duck Go a few years ago, but at this point either Duck Duck Go is just good enough or I generally don't care that Google does it better.
I've been making the move myself. I change my home PC, about a month ago, to use duckduckgo and I haven't had any gripes with it, and have been getting pretty good results.
I'm keen to start wheening myself off of google services.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 11:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 96 (Unique: 76)
SO you would rather have search results based on popularity and not based around your profile? When i google beaglebone, i don't want to see a beagle holding a bone. Id rather see the device. Its like tailored ads. If I am going to see an advertisement, id rather see Create an account on Amazon AWS today and get 10$ credit.... and not some perfume.

I had this conversation with a co-worker the other day. The more data you accumulate the more you can do with it. Like Google sending you an email because it saw you booked a flight to another country, and notified you that your Passport will expire soon. Scary, but at the same time, your not Bob... your ID:1239147957987, and ID:1239147957987's passport is about to expire. The problem is that it can be abused. The smaller the company, the more likely it will be abused (IMO). Google knows by gps info from my phone, where i work, the hours I work, and where I live. If criminals had that information, there would probably be a lot more home theft.

So, IMO, I like these services because they provide me X. I can go to Company B to get some things and Company C for other things, but those things tend to not be as good, and at the end of the day, someone is getting that information. I trust google more than Company B.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 11:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 170 (Unique: 106)
I moved off of google services because of all their political censorship.

In a pinch, I might use google maps because that is still heads and tails above the rest.

CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X470-Pro
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra
RAM
TeamGroup T-Force 16 GB (2x8) Pro Dark (B-die TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01)
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum SSR-750PX
Cooling
Corsair H80i (not V2 or GT)
Monitor
LG 34UC80-B
Keyboard
Logitech G413
Mouse
Logitech G503 RGB
Audio
Creative SoundBlaster Z (OEM)
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:03 PM
Original 16-bit Genesis®

Rep: 67 (Unique: 44)
Because Google uses general location after personalization, it tailors the search to the area you're in. If the people in your area are making similar searches, it guess that you want those too since you're in the area.

If you want try something creepy, try searching for music in Google Search and visit Google Play's music section. Almost everything you searched for is in the recommendations section.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 03:14 PM
mfw

Rep: 400 (Unique: 206)
Quote: Originally Posted by Omega X View Post
If you want try something creepy, try searching for music in Google Search and visit Google Play's music section. Almost everything you searched for is in the recommendations section.
How is that creepy? Had you ever the impression that Google wouldn't use the wealth of data accumulated on their users to better their products?

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (Dekoni pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 133 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mrzev View Post
...If I am going to see an advertisement...
Well that's your first mistake.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 11:06 PM
RIP OCN

Rep: 25 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post

Yeah pretty rare that I'll go on google these days. Duck duck go has a slightly lower quality of search results, but good enough for 95% of searches.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 11:31 PM
Original 16-bit Genesis®

Rep: 67 (Unique: 44)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
How is that creepy? Had you ever the impression that Google wouldn't use the wealth of data accumulated on their users to better their products?

How is that better? Nothing was improved, you just parroted my music searches back to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in