[Recode] U.S. internet speeds rose nearly 40 percent this year - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Recode] U.S. internet speeds rose nearly 40 percent this year

post #21 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 05:34 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 820 (Unique: 551)
Quote: Originally Posted by bfromcolo View Post
Mine got faster too! I got the opportunity to upgrade my 5M DSL to "up to 7M" for an extra charge. So now I have 6.144 down and 0.896 up.
My condolences.

Isn't it recommended 25Mbps for 4K streaming and 5 Mbps for full HD?

Quote: Originally Posted by Darkpriest667 View Post
Must be nice. I live in Fort Worth, a city of a million people, and I can only get 50/5 EVER. They said they can never upgrade our speed and that I cannot get any other service. it's ATT Uverse ADSL OR DirectTV satellite (Owned by ATT.)

AFAIK AT&T also has data caps, right?

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 06:18 PM
Overclocking Enthusiast

Rep: 268 (Unique: 215)
I have 1000/1000 from windstream. But it cost me a lot to have them drop a fiber line at my house. Before that i was limited to 50/5. And there is only 1 competitor in town which offers 1000/50 but has data caps. So the install fee was worth it for the unlimited gig. But most people would think twice before paying $1000 for an install fee or more. Even $250 is a lot for most people.

In Loving Memory Of Kassandra

Kaby
Rikka
(11 items)
CPU
Intel I5-7600k
Motherboard
Asrock Z270M Extreme 4
GPU
Titan X
GPU
Titan X
RAM
Galax HOF
Hard Drive
850 pro
Hard Drive
960 Pro
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Snow
Case
enthoo evolv matx tempered glass
Operating System
windows 10 pro
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ozlay; 12-16-2018 at 06:23 PM.
post #23 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:07 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 109 (Unique: 96)
Quote: Originally Posted by steelbom View Post
Must be nice to live in a country that actually knows how to upgrade internet.
I say this all the time in internet comparison threads where people get all envious and stuff. There's no free lunches.

A connection like those that are the norm in Europe or other countries where people are stacked on top of one another like sardines is available here in North America, it just costs more because unlike those said countries were not stacked on top of one another like sardines. A price of a house here might get you a flat in some of those countries, we just have to spend the difference on a really expensive internet connection if we want the best of both worlds much like they will pay out the rear if they want something bigger than a flat. I'd say here in North America we probably end up at a net gain even after considering the really expensive internet connection.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:29 PM
MegaTechPC

Rep: 1092 (Unique: 517)
I know my rural Comcast connection is nothing special but dayum, I was d/ling all the seasons of some anime last night (like 36 GB) and was shocked at how fast it was going! I got around 20 MB's per second and had the whole thing in less than half an hour! I rarely pay attention to my d/l speeds as I usually just queue crap to d/l and then leave the computer to it for later, but I was actually waiting to watch it so I hung around for a bit. I dunno, I feel like my mind is still stuck in the mindset of the 2000's where a song would take 10 min to d/l, so the reality that my $70/mo connection now gets me literally over a hundred HOURS of HD video in 30 min is crazy to me!

Eh, nvm, I'm just rambling at this point...

(EDIT - Just realized the episodes are only 480p so not HD, but still look OK)

3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

Last edited by Majin SSJ Eric; 12-16-2018 at 07:34 PM.
post #25 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 08:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 41 (Unique: 39)
Quote: Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post
I know my rural Comcast connection is nothing special but dayum, I was d/ling all the seasons of some anime last night (like 36 GB) and was shocked at how fast it was going! I got around 20 MB's per second and had the whole thing in less than half an hour! I rarely pay attention to my d/l speeds as I usually just queue crap to d/l and then leave the computer to it for later, but I was actually waiting to watch it so I hung around for a bit. I dunno, I feel like my mind is still stuck in the mindset of the 2000's where a song would take 10 min to d/l, so the reality that my $70/mo connection now gets me literally over a hundred HOURS of HD video in 30 min is crazy to me!

Eh, nvm, I'm just rambling at this point...

(EDIT - Just realized the episodes are only 480p so not HD, but still look OK)

I know the feeling. This thread made me think back a bit of when I was on dial-up using American Online trials that came in the mail or downloading a file and watching it at peak at 6 kbps lol.

I've always paid about $50-60 a month for internet, it's crazy how I was on 56K and have gone to 500 Mbps for roughly the same amount over the years. Google Fiber is just out of my reach locally and is $70 a month for 1 Gbps.

Perpetual 21:9
(13 items)
CPU
i7 6700K 4.4GHz
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Hero VIII
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 ACX SC 2050MHz
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ 16GB 3000MHz CAS-15
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W
Cooling
Corsair H115i
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic
Monitor
LG 34UC79G-B 34" 144Hz w/ ULMB
Keyboard
Corsair K65 RGB
Mouse
Zowie FK2
Mouse
Steelseries QcK Mass
Audio
ATH M50x
▲ hide details ▲
post #26 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 202 (Unique: 181)
I'm just happy that we're going somewhere. Personally, I'd be fine with 50Mb down, but I would love a higher upload speed. For some reason, copper broadband providers rather not give you symmetrical speeds, but fiber providers do.

As for the speeds still slower compared to other countries, with some countries only the size of 1 state in the US, of course it'll be easier and cheaper to build out to them, as compared to the select metro cities in the US vs the rural areas around the country.

Now as for the previous post, reason I posted them was because it was the first source I read. Agree with it or not, it was a news post that linked to the actual report which I provided in case some people didn't want to visit the "unfavorable" site. Just trying to be fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzman go_quote.gif
Computer viruses are like herpes. You never think in a million years you'd get one... Till you do.
post #27 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 10:02 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 304 (Unique: 243)
Quote: Originally Posted by bfromcolo View Post
Mine got faster too! I got the opportunity to upgrade my 5M DSL to "up to 7M" for an extra charge. So now I have 6.144 down and 0.896 up.
That's what you get for being a mountain folk.

post #28 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 11:27 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 327 (Unique: 232)
Quote: Originally Posted by Imouto View Post
I'm going to repost the same.

Correlation does not imply causation

But... muh net neutrality....

All the FUD was really all just FUD.
post #29 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 12:57 AM
Fantastic Mr Fox

Rep: 174 (Unique: 119)
Quote: Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
What I meant though is how much better is that internet really? Is it really worth it? Does it really make that much of a difference in terms of usability?

For me, sort of. Most content is hosted overseas so latency is huge no matter what my connection speed to the ISP is like, and maximum download rates are often well under my connection speed too. Only locally cached content or torrents with many seeds can max out my connection. I'm on 100/5. I could run 50/5 without any issue as the only things that would be impacted are things like Steam game downloads.

Quote: Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
A connection like those that are the norm in Europe or other countries where people are stacked on top of one another like sardines is available here in North America, it just costs more because unlike those said countries were not stacked on top of one another like sardines.

NA also has horrible (anti-)competition laws protecting telco cartels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in