[Ars] CenturyLink blocked its customers’ Internet access in order to show an ad - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Ars] CenturyLink blocked its customers’ Internet access in order to show an ad

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
Waiting for 10 and 7nm

Rep: 865 (Unique: 492)
Quote: Originally Posted by AgentHydra View Post
There were clearly better ways for them to do this, but it's more than a little sensationalist to call a consumer notice mandated by state legislation an "ad" (IMO).

If you read the law and read the ISP's notice you'll realise that it's an ad. This ISP decided to purchase Norton's services for the filtering (amongst other things, see the link at the end of the post), so they are advertising Norton. Also, according to the law the ISP may charge consumers a "commercially reasonable fee" for the filtering service (and they are in this case) if the consumer decides to go with the ISP's offer, but the ISP can also comply with the law simply by informing consumers that a third party filtering service exists that can get the job done for the purposes of the law. And of course, the law doesn't forbid the ISP of informing consumers about more than one third party filtering solution so that consumers have a reasonable panorama of available options, the law only mandates the minimum of one for the purposes of the ISPs not being fined for not complying.

So yes, what they did was an ad, even more so since they are in a commercial relationship with Norton to provide the filtering (see here).

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 06:44 PM
WaterCooler

Rep: 70 (Unique: 63)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
If I were a century link customer id be canceling right now.
And go where....Comcast? Only other option here...

The New Precious
(21 items)
My Precious...
(22 items)
CPU
[Intel] Core i7-4790k
Motherboard
[ASUS] Z97-DELUXE
GPU
[ASUS] GTX 980 Strix
RAM
[Corsair] Vengance Pro Series 16GB DDR3-2400
Hard Drive
[Crucial] M550 512GB
Hard Drive
[WD] Black 3TB x 2
Power Supply
[Corsair] AX750
Cooling
[EK] Supremacy EVO - Gold
Cooling
[EK] GTX 980 Strix - Fullcover w/ Backplate
Cooling
[EK] D5 X-RES Top 100 w/ D5 Vario
Cooling
[Monsoon] 3/8" ID 5/8" OD Compressions - Gold
Cooling
[XSPC] EX240 x 2
Cooling
[Corsair] SP120 x 5 / AF120 x 1
Case
[Corsair] Carbide Air 540
Operating System
[Windows] 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Monitor
[BenQ] XL2420TX
Keyboard
[Corsair] K70 - Red switches
Mouse
[Razer] Naga Epic
Audio
[Audio Technica] ATH-A700
Audio
[Antlion] ModMic
Other
[Lamptron] FC5-V2
CPU
[Intel] Core i7-960
Motherboard
[ASUS] Rampage III Formula
GPU
[EVGA] GTX 670 FTW 2GB
RAM
[Corsair] Dominator-GT 6GB DDR3-1866
Hard Drive
[Crucial] M4 128GB
Hard Drive
[Samsung] Spinpoint F3 1TB x2
Hard Drive
[WD] Caviar Black 750GB
Power Supply
[Corsair] AX850
Cooling
[XSPC] Raystorm
Cooling
[XSPC] EX360 and EX240
Cooling
[Scythe] Gentle Typhoon AP-15 x 5
Cooling
[EVGA] GTX 680 Hydro Copper w/ Backplate
Cooling
[XSPC] Dual-bay Res w/ [Swiftech] MCP655
Cooling
[Bitfenix] Spectre Pro Red LED - 140mm x 4
Case
[NZXT] Switch 810 Matte Black
Operating System
[Windows] 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Monitor
[BenQ] XL2420TX
Keyboard
[Saitek] Cyborg V.5 Red LED
Mouse
[Razer] Naga Epic Red LED
Audio
[Audio Technica] ATH-A700
Audio
[ASUS] Xonar Essence STX
Other
[Lamptron] FC5-V2
CPU
[Intel] Core M-5Y10
GPU
[Intel] HD Graphics 5300
RAM
[Generic?] 8 GB DDR3
Hard Drive
[Generic?] 256GB SSD
Operating System
[Microsoft] Windows 10
Monitor
1920 x 1080
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
If you read the law and read the ISP's notice you'll realise that it's an ad. This ISP decided to purchase Norton's services for the filtering (amongst other things, see the link at the end of the post), so they are advertising Norton. Also, according to the law the ISP may charge consumers a "commercially reasonable fee" for the filtering service (and they are in this case) if the consumer decides to go with the ISP's offer, but the ISP can also comply with the law simply by informing consumers that a third party filtering service exists that can get the job done for the purposes of the law. And of course, the law doesn't forbid the ISP of informing consumers about more than one third party filtering solution so that consumers have a reasonable panorama of available options, the law only mandates the minimum of one for the purposes of the ISPs not being fined for not complying.

So yes, what they did was an ad, even more so since they are in a commercial relationship with Norton to provide the filtering (see here).
The law also didn't mandate shutting off service until the customer acknowledged receipt as evidenced by other ISPs sending an email and/or putting the notice on their bill. I wonder how many people were duped into believing they needed to purchase said offer (which appears to be the entire point).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 10:49 PM
Padawan Overclocker

Rep: 137 (Unique: 110)
When officials consider internet as water and electricity, some things will stay and get better.

This cat scratches free.

Windows 10 Pro x64 - I5 2500k 4ghz (offset -0.015v) - Asus P8P67 Evo - 2x4gb Gskill Ripjaws - Sapphire 280x tri-x nonboost - HAF 912+ - Kingston Savage 120gb SSD - Western Digital Blue 2 TB + 1 TB -
Summer 21-06-2011
(13 items)
CPU
i5 2500k 4ghz @ Offset -0.015
Motherboard
Asus P8P67 Evo (bios 3207)
GPU
Sapphire HD6850 1GB (835/1100)
RAM
G.Skill RipjawsX 2x2gb 1866mhz 8-9-8-24-2n @ 1.6v
RAM
G.Skill RipjawsX 2x4gb 1866mhz 9-10-9-28-2n @ 1.6v
Hard Drive
WD5000AAKX-001CA0
Hard Drive
WD5001AALS-00L3B2 (Now External)
Hard Drive
WD20EARS
Optical Drive
ASUS DRW-1814BLT
Power Supply
Enermax Infiniti 650 (28a,28a,30a)
Cooling
Noctua NH-u12p SE2
Case
Cooler Master haf 912 Advanced
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Monitor
Asus VH242H Wobbly Stand :)
Keyboard
Microsoft Ergo 4000
Mouse
A4tech x7 F3
CPU
Phenom II x6 1090t BE 3.6/4.0 [email protected]
Motherboard
MSI K9A2 Platinum v1
GPU
Sapphire HD6850 1GB 850/[email protected]
RAM
Kingston 2x2gb Hyperx 1066 5-5-5-15
Hard Drive
WD5001AALS & ST3250410AS
Optical Drive
Asus DRW-1814BLT
Power Supply
Enermax Infiniti 650w (28a,28a,30a)
Case
Thermaltake Kandalf SuperTower
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Monitor
Asus VH242H 23.6" Wobbly Stand :D
Keyboard
Microsoft Ergo 4000
Mouse
A4 tech Swop-3
Mouse
(no name)
▲ hide details ▲
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:25 PM
Original 16-bit Genesis®

Rep: 66 (Unique: 43)
Quote: Originally Posted by Namwons View Post
Lawsuit Inc. If the FTC doesn't do anything about this one, seems net neutrality really is dead and the FTC is powerless to stop them.

FTC powerless? No. FTC slow? Yes. If they find grounds, CenturyLink will get fined...months from now.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Why are 'we' mad at CenturyTel? Why are 'we' NOT mad at the fact that there needs to be another law that reduces and/or replaces parents responsibilities? How about we take accountability for our own actions instead of allowing the creation of some nanny state?

"Uncle Sam, mah kids found teh pron! Oh, heavens me, please do somethin' so I don't have to and let me get back to my self-centered life, puhleeease!"

Tragic...

Omen

"Where's the reset button? Show ME, I'll push it!" #ResetHumanity #Thanosisright
Harley
(7 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock Fatal1ty Gaming K4
GPU
GTX 1080
RAM
G.Skill Flare X (F4-3200C14D-16GFX)
Cooling
D5 / SR-2 240 (x2) / EKWB GPU / XSPC Raystorm V.3 CPU / Aquaero Control
Case
Lian Li PC70T-FX
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
Waiting for 10 and 7nm

Quote: Originally Posted by delerious View Post
The law also didn't mandate shutting off service until the customer acknowledged receipt as evidenced by other ISPs sending an email and/or putting the notice on their bill. I wonder how many people were duped into believing they needed to purchase said offer (which appears to be the entire point).

And what's more, what are the chances that it wasn't the parents who saw the notice and quickly clicked "OK" to get rid of it and thus the parents never saw it? It's ridiculous. The most effective way to communicate this would be by putting it next to the bill. Because parents do see - and pay - the bills.

Quote: Originally Posted by 7thOmen View Post
Why are 'we' mad at CenturyTel? Why are 'we' NOT mad at the fact that there needs to be another law that reduces and/or replaces parents responsibilities? How about we take accountability for our own actions instead of allowing the creation of some nanny state?

"Uncle Sam, mah kids found teh pron! Oh, heavens me, please do somethin' so I don't have to and let me get back to my self-centered life, puhleeease!"

Tragic...

Omen

The law simply mandates that parents be informed that there are filtering options available. It doesn't make anybody do anything or purchase anything, and if anything it makes parents alert to the technical possibilities that are available to them to assist them in their parenting, because not everybody who uses the Internet is tech savvy to know this from the start. So, I don't understand how you think that this law "reduces and/or replaces parents responsibilities".

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

The law simply mandates that parents be informed that there are filtering options available. It doesn't make anybody do anything or purchase anything, and if anything it makes parents alert to the technical possibilities that are available to them to assist them in their parenting, because not everybody who uses the Internet is tech savvy to know this from the start. So, I don't understand how you think that this law "reduces and/or replaces parents responsibilities".

Laws and rules like this become a substitute for parents doing their due diligence in child rearing.
Twenty years ago, I would agree that there were was little to no choice for content filtering. Things have changed since then. A mother or father can inquire with their peers at work, their IT department, on Facebook, perform their own simple web searches, etc., etc. There is a multitude of resources available for unsavvy members of our species.

Now 'we' have to have laws or (FCC) rules created because parents can't or won't be bothered with their duties and obligations to their children.
Hence, my sarcasm in quotes.

Omen

"Where's the reset button? Show ME, I'll push it!" #ResetHumanity #Thanosisright
Harley
(7 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
GPU
GTX 1080
RAM
Cooling
Case
Lian Li PC70T-FX
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Waiting for 10 and 7nm

Quote: Originally Posted by 7thOmen View Post
Laws and rules like this become a substitute for parents doing their due diligence in child rearing.
Twenty years ago, I would agree that there were was little to no choice for content filtering. Things have changed since then. A mother or father can inquire with their peers at work, their IT department, on Facebook, perform their own simple web searches, etc., etc. There is a multitude of resources available for unsavvy members of our species.

Now 'we' have to have laws or (FCC) rules created because parents can't or won't be bothered with their duties and obligations to their children.
Hence, my sarcasm in quotes.

Omen

Again, this law isn't meant to be a substitute of anything, go read it, it just institutes a legal obligation on the ISP's part to inform parents that there are options available for something that they may deem useful in their parenting. That's it. Nothing more. It's just to provide information.

You still inherently possess too much of an "IT view" of the world, where just about everybody should know how to formulate the question of whether there is a technical way to filter certain websites from loading. Laws are made for everybody, including people who need to use computers but are very 'analogue' about it, and those that don't have "peers at work" because they are self-employed, nor work for a mid-large company that has anything resembling an "IT department", and believe it or not, many people don't feel any need to have Facebook. Sometimes in order to know where to look, you need to be made aware that certain things exist. Then it becomes obvious. The law isn't replacing parents' responsibilities, it's just meant to inform them, give them more information, I don't really see what problem that entails.

Read my reviews here.
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 09:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Again, this law isn't meant to be a substitute of anything, go read it, it just institutes a legal obligation on the ISP's part to inform parents that there are options available for something that they may deem useful in their parenting. That's it. Nothing more. It's just to provide information.

You still inherently possess too much of an "IT view" of the world, where just about everybody should know how to formulate the question of whether there is a technical way to filter certain websites from loading. Laws are made for everybody, including people who need to use computers but are very 'analogue' about it, and those that don't have "peers at work" because they are self-employed, nor work for a mid-large company that has anything resembling an "IT department", and believe it or not, many people don't feel any need to have Facebook. Sometimes in order to know where to look, you need to be made aware that certain things exist. Then it becomes obvious. The law isn't replacing parents' responsibilities, it's just meant to inform them, give them more information, I don't really see what problem that entails.

The bold. Why is it any obligation of the ISP to have to inform parents? Shouldn't the parents be liable for sourcing their own information? Where is the accountability?

Sadly, my view of the world has little to do with "IT view", but I digress. How hard is it to ask potentially knowledgeable people in any forum or venue about "how to prevent my children from seeing nudity and adult content on the internet" (at the risk of being cheeky, please note the lack of technicality in that)? Clearly the answer must be 'very', because laws/rules had to be created to ease the burden of asking such a seemingly difficult question. That begs the next question, "Why the difficulty?" Should not a parent be willing to give up life and limb to protect their children? What is different here? Perhaps my sarcastic quote (from my initial post) wasn't too far off the mark?

It is the fact that governments are asked to, or feel compelled to, create these rules and regulations to protect those who should (and could) be accountable for their own protections. If the rule was not created, there would not be a news post about CenturyTel angering people. 'We' do not need more rules, especially when common sense should dictate our course of actions.

The problem is the precedence that is set here. Eventually, thanks to rules and regulation such as this, parents will just come (continue?) to rely on 'the village' to raise their kids. This can not possibly be healthy for future generations.

Before the goal posts get moved, let us just stick to this solitary example.

Omen

Edited for clarity.

Harley
(7 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
GPU
GTX 1080
RAM
Cooling
Case
Lian Li PC70T-FX
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in