[TH] Nvidia Lowers Q4 Revenue Guidance, Stock Drops - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TH] Nvidia Lowers Q4 Revenue Guidance, Stock Drops

post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 06:20 PM
Hardware Princess

Rep: 25 (Unique: 22)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
RTX clearly needed to launch a generation later, on 7nm or smaller so they could have enough RT cores to release a product that didn't have to cost over a grand just to get decent (not good, just decent) performance. Nvidia wanted to confuse the casual gamer into thinking ray tracing is an Nvidia feature rather than a Directx12 feature (I'm sure other API's will support it soon as well.) and in doing so they rushed out a really disappointing and overpriced product just to be first to market with ray tracing.

When Nvidia bought Ageia back in the day, it seemed like they were doing gamers a favor by keeping us from having to start worrying about buying graphics cards and physics cards. This shift to releasing astronomically high priced products feels like a 180 from the nvidia from back then. I wonder if the damage they've done to their reputation will really hurt them in the long run. Speaking for myself, I have never bought an AMD card for myself but at this point I would much rather support AMD than Nvidia.
Wonder how much space the ray tracing cores take up - the RTX 2060 has a die almost as large as my 1080 Ti, and that's despite the die shrink from 16nm to 12nm! Meanwhile the 2080 Ti and Titan have enormous 754 mm^2 dies, can't be cheap to manufacture.

CHILLER DESTRUCTION
Build Log - White Voodoo
Z390 Station
(11 items)
White Voodoo
(14 items)
CPU
9900K @ 5.4 1.50v
Motherboard
EVGA Z390 Dark
GPU
Titan RTX 2085/8500
RAM
Trident Z 3200c14 @ 4133c16 1.5v
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250gb
Power Supply
ancient silverstone 1200
Cooling
HWLabs GTX 360 Rad (in RED)
Cooling
3x EK Vardar 120mm 2200rpm Fans
Case
Dimastech Test Bench
Monitor
AOC Agon AG251FZ 240Hz
Audio
Built-in Monitor Speakers (3 watt)
CPU
Intel Core i9-7980XE @ 4.3 GHz 1.10v
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080 Ti SLI 2037/6318 1.09V
RAM
Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 3200C14 @ 3800C16 1.50V
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 1600 T2
Cooling
HWLabs Nemesis GTR 420+280 Rads
Cooling
(7) Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM Fans
Cooling
EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Case
LD Cooling PC-V7 280/420
Operating System
Windows 10 LTSB
Operating System
Linux Mint 19.1
Monitor
NEC PA271W 2560x1440
Keyboard
Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2
CPU
Dual Intel Xeon L5520 2.26 GHz
RAM
48 GB Samsung DDR3-1066
Hard Drive
120 GB Samsung 750 Evo SSD
Hard Drive
2 TB Western Digital Green
Hard Drive
2 TB Hitachi 7200 RPM
Power Supply
650W Delta PSU
Case
1U Rackmount
Operating System
Ubuntu Server 16.04
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 06:51 PM
Team Red Lobbyist

Rep: 114 (Unique: 101)
Jensen is just trying to keep his job. There are multiple stories here, and this is just the normal reaction for a guy who's facing (with Nvidia as a whole) a class action suit from what he said on earning/quarterly calls over the last 6-9 months.

He's co-founder of the company, he's got a lot of skin in the game. INVESTORS have a lot of skin in the game. How he portrayed supply/demand over the last couple quarters has him in a HEAP of hot water. On October first - the stock was sitting at $289. Q4 hits...the reports are just coming up now (as evidenced by today's news). The stock sits at $138. Let that sink in. The company has lost 50% of his value in the last quarter. It's current market cap is $84 Billion. Double that...that's what they lost in 4 months (including January).

You think RTX and gamers and ray tracing caused $84B in losses? No. It's loss of confidence in a CEO on moving the ball forward on what should be their easiest customer - gamers. But think AI and machine learning. Think of enterprise contracts worth millions. They have big plans, no doubt. But RTX release was ugly. Demand for 10 series was overstated for 2 quarters by Jensen. And investors (whales), are wary as to the future under the command of a guy who just BS'd them for the last 6 months. The China excuse is weak too...AMD and Intel and Samsung and all the rest have taken that into account - but they aren't calling "The sky is falling, China...but, but China."

"It just works" didn't fly as they saw their stocks drop day after day. The memes we all laugh at cost a lot of people a lot of money, and he's the face of that meme and the company behind it.

Could good come of all this? Sure. Tech moves on, gets better - prices eventually lower and devs adopt RT. That day seems a bit far off at the moment, and it might need change at the top of Nvidia to make it a reality. Dude, he can still be a Musk and pseudo-run the show - but I think investors have had enough.

I think competition is good, but it needs to be healthy competition. Nvidia raises and sets the bar - let's be realistic. But hubris always leads to downfalls.

Anyone remember when they pushed back the release date of RTX from Sept. 20th to the 27th? Thankfully Jensen dumped 41,253 shares on the 18th at $271. No one said he wasn't smart

Nvidia inside trades last 6 months = https://www.reuters.com/finance/stoc...trading/NVDA.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty Beef go_quote.gif
I did my build in the kitchen (no carpets in sight) and in underwear to avoid any possible static. My roomates where kinda creeped out. headscratch.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHoleSon go_quote.gif
he reads Pentiumhouse magazine and gets so turned on by it, he will never use another processor.

Last edited by Gill..; 01-28-2019 at 07:08 PM. Reason: More data
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 894 (Unique: 503)
Quote: Originally Posted by Hydroplane View Post
Wonder how much space the ray tracing cores take up - the RTX 2060 has a die almost as large as my 1080 Ti, and that's despite the die shrink from 16nm to 12nm! Meanwhile the 2080 Ti and Titan have enormous 754 mm^2 dies, can't be cheap to manufacture.

16nm/14nm to "12nm" is not a die shrink, they are essentially the same process (and the 16nm and 14nm used for GPUs are comparable), just with some refinements that allow a bit higher clocks, a bit better power efficiency. It's more 16nm/14nm+, if we were to use Intel terms.

Look at the Ryzen 7 2700X, it uses the same die size as the 1800X. The RX 590 also uses the same die size as the RX 580 / 480.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 07:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Gill.. View Post
Jensen is just trying to keep his job. There are multiple stories here, and this is just the normal reaction for a guy who's facing (with Nvidia as a whole) a class action suit from what he said on earning/quarterly calls over the last 6-9 months.

He's co-founder of the company, he's got a lot of skin in the game. INVESTORS have a lot of skin in the game. How he portrayed supply/demand over the last couple quarters has him in a HEAP of hot water. On October first - the stock was sitting at $289. Q4 hits...the reports are just coming up now (as evidenced by today's news). The stock sits at $138. Let that sink in. The company has lost 50% of his value in the last quarter. It's current market cap is $84 Billion. Double that...that's what they lost in 4 months (including January).

You think RTX and gamers and ray tracing caused $84B in losses? No. It's loss of confidence in a CEO on moving the ball forward on what should be their easiest customer - gamers. But think AI and machine learning. Think of enterprise contracts worth millions. They have big plans, no doubt. But RTX release was ugly. Demand for 10 series was overstated for 2 quarters by Jensen. And investors (whales), are wary as to the future under the command of a guy who just BS'd them for the last 6 months. The China excuse is weak too...AMD and Intel and Samsung and all the rest have taken that into account - but they aren't calling "The sky is falling, China...but, but China."

"It just works" didn't fly as they saw their stocks drop day after day. The memes we all laugh at cost a lot of people a lot of money, and he's the face of that meme and the company behind it.

Could good come of all this? Sure. Tech moves on, gets better - prices eventually lower and devs adopt RT. That day seems a bit far off at the moment, and it might need change at the top of Nvidia to make it a reality. Dude, he can still be a Musk and pseudo-run the show - but I think investors have had enough.

I think competition is good, but it needs to be healthy competition. Nvidia raises and sets the bar - let's be realistic. But hubris always leads to downfalls.
I think the competition in the GPU sector between Nvidia and AMD is currently healthy, in the scientific, professional, and low to Vega 64/XX80 gaming tier. Only the XXTI, Titan tiers have no competition. Since there's only 1 contender, Nvidia. AMD hasn't challenged that tier in several quarters. From their business strategy it doesn't seem like they ever will at least for the foreseeable future. AMD released Vega 56/64 to challenge the XX70/XX80 tier. AMD will release Vega 7 to challenge XX80 tier. Still no challengers in the XX80TI, Titan tiers from AMD in 2019. The risk to reward for AMD to challenge Nvidia in that tier is currently not worth it in a business sense.

Even if AMD does make a competitive GPU, that doesn't necessarily mean sales in that respective tier. How many posts and comments do you see for AMD to be competitive so Nvidia will lower prices? Comments and posts like those likely means they had low intention to buying an AMD card to begin with, they want an Nvidia card, but at a lower price point. AMD, Nvidia, any business can set whatever price for their products from the start, it's their right. A high starting MSRP just doesn't guarantee a sale. Nvidia's starting to feel the effects of that decision as well other tech companies like Apple with their XS. Every market has a tipping point.

post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:56 PM
OG AMD

Rep: 582 (Unique: 459)
Jensen maybe in trouble with the SEC the way he's acting now. Anyways, the main problem with RTX launch besides the cost/performance is the fact the cards were rushed to market and bursting in flames and crashing.

Makes me wonder why they released these cards, since the 10 series was still fairly new and facing 0 compitition.

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/4d8m5e-6.png
AMD Athlon II 450 @4.74GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2204588
AMD MaxxMemm Rankings
960T @ 4.6GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2171450
RedwoodCustomPC
AM4
(4 items)
RCPC#1
(17 items)
Professional
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2200G
Motherboard
ASRock X470 Taichi
GPU
MSI RX570 Armor MKII 8GB
Power Supply
GSKill Ripjaws PS850G
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 960T
Motherboard
Asus M4A88T-VEVO
GPU
Asus Strix R7 370
RAM
SuperTalent Perfomance
RAM
GSkill Snipers
Hard Drive
Monster Daytona
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache
Optical Drive
Memorex DVD/RW
Power Supply
Corsair GS500
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
In Win H-Frame
Operating System
Windows 8N
Monitor
IBM 9494 19" LCD
Keyboard
IBM
Mouse
OCZ Behemoth
Mouse
Wolfking
Audio
JBL Creature
CPU
Phenom II X6 1100t
Motherboard
MSI 890FX GD65
GPU
MSI Radeon HD5670
RAM
GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB SATA III
Optical Drive
Samsung BD
Power Supply
Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w
Cooling
Zalman 9900MAX
Case
Fractal Design R3
Operating System
Windows 7 64 Professional
Monitor
AOC 22" LED
Keyboard
Logitech
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB
▲ hide details ▲

post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 09:03 PM
Zen

Rep: 51 (Unique: 33)
Quote: Originally Posted by Redwoodz View Post
Jensen maybe in trouble with the SEC the way he's acting now. Anyways, the main problem with RTX launch besides the cost/performance is the fact the cards were rushed to market and bursting in flames and crashing.

Makes me wonder why they released these cards, since the 10 series was still fairly new and facing 0 compitition.
Their revenue would have been worse if they just sat on 10-series for remainder of last year. They probably knew that honeymoon is over when the crypto market crashed, so they had to create new line of product to spark a new demand on a market.

My home PC
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus X399 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 840 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 500GB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 1300W
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S TR4
Case
Corsair Carbide Air 540
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2711
Monitor
Samsung 55" 4k
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
Denon AVR-X3300W
▲ hide details ▲
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 12:39 AM
mfw

Rep: 389 (Unique: 203)
Quote: Originally Posted by keikei View Post
Well, Nvidia gambled big with ray tray, and loss this round.
Ray tray is cray cray!

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:25 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
Trading of shares for employees should be banned altogether anyway, the whole stock market is broken. Employees should be allowed to "collect" shares and get paid from dividends but selling shares they should only be allowed after they leave the company. Right now all they do is insider trade based on knowledge of performance and secret issues only they know about.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 16)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
At least they are being honest about at least understanding what the customers want, and not put the blame again on something else.

Hopefully this is a wake up call for them to figure out that they need to go back a few steps with the price tags.
Wow! Did Defoler just admitted Nvidia cards are overpriced, I guess they really went overboard this time.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:47 AM
Portgas D. Ace

Rep: 311 (Unique: 238)
Quote: Originally Posted by sage101 View Post
Wow! Did Defoler just admitted Nvidia cards are overpriced, I guess they really went overboard this time.
Sig worthy.

PCMR
(18 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 7 1700
Motherboard
ASROCK TAICHI X370
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC2 ULTRA
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB NAS HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
8TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 860 EVO SSD 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue SSD 2TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S (CPU COOLER)
Cooling
Cooler Master JetFlo 120mm Blue LED Fan (X6)
Case
LIAN LI PC-V760B
Operating System
WINDOWS 10 64
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp UP2718Q - LED monitor - 4K - 27"
Keyboard
VORTEX POK3R WHITE EDITION
Mouse
LOGITECH G305 WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598 Cs Headphones
Other
Real Arcade Pro. 4 Kai Joystick modded
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in