[TH] Nvidia Lowers Q4 Revenue Guidance, Stock Drops - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TH] Nvidia Lowers Q4 Revenue Guidance, Stock Drops

post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:04 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 437 (Unique: 301)
Quote: Originally Posted by sage101 View Post
Wow! Did Defoler just admitted Nvidia cards are overpriced, I guess they really went overboard this time.
I never said they aren't overpriced.
I always said that there will be someone willing to pay, and OCN is living proof of that, and hence the higher price.
Same as why intel has been dragging on releasing higher core count CPUs. They can, and people buy them.
I always said that if you don't like it, vote with your wallet, but don't expect change while people willing to buy. I hadn't bought a new GPU since the 980 TI, nor a new CPU for awhile. I don't need to, and I don't want to pay the higher price for now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Nvidia stock down almost 5% from 1/28 as of 1:30 PM EST.
AMD stock down 4% from 1/28 as of 1:30 PM EST.

I expect both stock to drop a bit more when AMD reveals their quarterly results today. Mainly AMD. They were directly impacted from Intel's results, yesterday it was from Nvidia. Today it'll be from their own quarterly results. No one from a market perspective seems to have hope that AMD will pull an upset. AMD not releasing their quarterly results ASAP to stop the hemorrhaging likely means Wall Street's prediction might be right. AMD waiting to until closing is never a good sign and a lack of faith.

Personally I hope AMD stock drops to around 10$ or lower. At this price point I'll definitely buy shares and keep it long term.

post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 02:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 97 (Unique: 85)
Quote: Originally Posted by D-S-J View Post
Nvidia stock down almost 5% from 1/28 as of 1:30 PM EST.
AMD stock down 4% from 1/28 as of 1:30 PM EST.

I expect both stock to drop a bit more when AMD reveals their quarterly results today. Mainly AMD. They were directly impacted from Intel's results, yesterday it was from Nvidia. Today it'll be from their own quarterly results. No one from a market perspective seems to have hope that AMD will pull an upset. AMD not releasing their quarterly results ASAP to stop the hemorrhaging likely means Wall Street's prediction might be right. AMD waiting to until closing is never a good sign and a lack of faith.

Personally I hope AMD stock drops to around 10$ or lower. At this price point I'll definitely buy shares and keep it long term.
AMD always waits until closing. Can't recall a time when they haven't done so. And you won't see their stock at $10 anytime soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 02:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by kzone75 View Post
AMD always waits until closing. Can't recall a time when they haven't done so. And you won't see their stock at $10 anytime soon.
AMD's quarterly results did stop the hemorrhaging. Stock spiked to 21.21 in after hours trading. But it did open at 20.26 on 1/29. 1/25 it closed at 21.93.

Q1 only really has Vega VII. Ryzen 3000 series is expected in late Q2. But more likely Q3. So there's still a chance the stock will drop for the Q1/19 results. But you maybe right it might not drop to $10 for awhile if ever. But I have a feeling AMD's stock will drop below $15 during this quarter. For me at $10 it's a definite buy, at $12 it's enticing.

post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:17 PM
Linux Evangelist

Rep: 185 (Unique: 147)
What's amazing about this is that he actually told the truth.

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 110 (Unique: 65)
Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Source.

Bold for emphasis.

So, people's wallets do actually have a limit? And people want to see if the technology is actually worth it with more than two games? Interesting. Who knew?
So that shows people like Bashaa or jmpboy words regarding RTX / titans pricing have no weight cos the market already prove them otherwise.

Too expensive for a gaming card means too expensive. Period.

Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
RTX clearly needed to launch a generation later, on 7nm or smaller so they could have enough RT cores to release a product that didn't have to cost over a grand just to get decent (not good, just decent) performance.
You are naive to believe jumping to 7nm can make RTX affordable. in term of cost per transistor going to 7nm the cost saving isnt that great, and is most likely not passed down to customer at all for the first 6 months.

In other words, if you expect RTX performance to be cheaper due to more RT cores pack in for smaller dies, you can forget about it, if it comes with double the RTs, expect to see the cost almost double as compared 12nm, that is because 7nm is US$10000 per wafer, unless NV decide to lower its profit margin significantly to fight the uphill battle for its reputation.

Last edited by ryan92084; 01-30-2019 at 02:58 AM.
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 02:21 AM
in da freezing hell

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Trading of shares for employees should be banned altogether anyway, the whole stock market is broken. Employees should be allowed to "collect" shares and get paid from dividends but selling shares they should only be allowed after they leave the company. Right now all they do is insider trade based on knowledge of performance and secret issues only they know about.
QFT ! And I've worked for semi-conductors company bigger than NVidia ! This is the reason I've stopped even considering buying any share for the last 15 years ...

Meantime, back on the GPU market, in another thread (https://www.overclock.net/forum/227-...omparison.html), the graphs have actually demolished my 10+ years old faith with NVidia.

I think my next card is gonna be AMD, for sure. Vega 64 is quite close to 1080ti with Linux and this is good enough for me ...

Marvin
(16 items)
CPU
Intel Core i5-4690K [email protected] GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VII Impact mini-itx
GPU
Asus GeForce GTX 970 DirectCU Mini
RAM
Trident X, 2 X 8 Go, 2400 MHz, CAS 10
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 512GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop SSHD, 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair HX850i
Cooling
Corsair H90
Case
Thermaltake Core V1
Operating System
W7
Operating System
SteamOS
Monitor
Big Samsung TV screen, sofa operated
Keyboard
Logitech K810
Mouse
Logitech G602
Audio
Bose Soundtouch 1300
Other
Steam Controler
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in