Overclock.net banner

[Various] [Updated 2] Vox Media Goes After YouTubers That Mocked The Verge PC Build Video

8K views 88 replies 39 participants last post by  Eusbwoa18 
#1 · (Edited)
Vox Media is leveraging copyright strikes against YouTube channels that mocked The Verge's infamous PC build video. The company has allegedly manually filed a copyright strike against Kyle of Bitwit for creating a parody video of The Verge PC build video. WCCFTECH says that this will create the Streisand Effect "whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the internet." It is obvious that a parody is considered "fair use" so more than likely Vox Media will lose the case. But not before reminding the entire tech industry how bad that PC build video really was.
Source.

Original source: https://twitter.com/bitwitkyle/status/1095578571244879872

I had already mostly forgotten about it, since the video is from September of last year. Now it seems that they wanted to quietly rewrite history when the spotlight wasn't on it. Well, welcome to the Streisand effect, now it's under the spotlight again.

Here are a few more videos that may eventually get taken down and one extra at the end where one already was:

3 updates:

1. Here is one more news source: https://www.techspot.com/news/78757-vox-media-targets-youtuber-parodied-verge-terrible-pc.html
Facepalm: Highlights from the ill-fated tutorial include installing the RAM in the wrong slots, using thermal paste and a pre-applied thermal pad, leaving a screw off the CPU cooler, calling zip ties tweezers and demonstrating terrible cable management. And that's just scratching the surface.

The Verge, one of the larger technology news sites on the Internet, published a video last September detailing how to build a $2,000 custom gaming PC. While the production value was decent, the overall feel of the tutorial was cringe-worthy and much of the information presented was flat out wrong or misleading.

2. Jayz made a video about it, explaining what options Vox media had and how DMCA works and is abused:

See less See more
#43 ·
It is just amazing to me that the people working on that video thought it was good enough to show. I thank them for it though because it got me to laugh.

#45 ·
What are you trying to say?

If it's metal with electrical things inside, you ground it for safety regardless of whether or not you think it's less than ideal for discharging static. If it's metal it can be grounded. AFAIK all case bodies are still metal and should be grounded through the PSU body. The metal parts will work as a ground in any instance regardless of how stylish it is or isn't. Sure there is paint but it doesn't matter as a ground because it's riveted, screwed or welded together under the paint and the purpose of touching a case is to release static from your body which is at such a high voltage the paint is negligible. Since 110 and 240 can both jump the paint a case should be grounded any way simply becasue if the voltage couldn't jump the paint, nothing happens. If it touches the plastic, nothing happens. If it touches metal and can arc, it saves you from a potential fire hazard.

#48 ·
What are you trying to say?
a conductive metal cage (for example a wire frame cube) is grounded without needing to do ANYTHING ELSE. You don't need to plug it in, put it on rubber feet, or do any other action to make it grounded. it's grounded in mid air, it's grounded on the floor.

So in theory, as long as the frame of your computer case is made of a conductive material (not plastic) and is in a traditional pc case shape your computer case is a grounded object. This is why when you wear an anti-static wristband the directions tell you to clip it to the frame of the computer case. Its why simply touching the frame of your case with your skin will ground you when working on the inside of the case. you don't need a PSU, rubber feet, or a power cable to make it grounded.

#46 ·
If i was Vox media i would do the same , it is easy shaming/bashing and you tubers doesn't seem to see the good intention in it and who it is adressed to.You saw a problem in the video they provide, you just do your work and send a comment or contact the support for quality .No need to buzz about it.

#47 ·
It was their job to verify that they were presenting factual information that wasn't totally irresponsible, of course people reacted to their failure to do so. Many probably weren't too peeved until they ran those long ass screws through the rad with no fans attached. Running the ram in single channel was bad enough to annoy me.

What was the good intention behind the video exactly? Who was it "addressed" to? AFAIK it was posted on YT for anyone to see and not focused on anyone in particular. If it was focused on new builders then why did he manually remove the plastic socket thing and toss it? The safest way is to ignore it and let it pop out so you don't risk bending a pin pulling it out or dropping it, it's even written on the plastic piece. Then you keep it for when you sell the board or put it in storage. What's the "good intention" behind running a 3" screw through a radiator which would damage many radiators very badly? What was the good intention behind ignoring every piece of literature provided by the manufacturers of the components if you don't know exactly what you're doing? A new PC builder would be far better off reading the provided literature than watching the video. The dude wasn't wrong about one or two little details, he was wrong about everything every step of the way and the video had to be spliced so they could have a functioning build.
I'm actually surprised someone there managed to buy the correct CPU and chipset.

#52 ·
Yeah, you got that right.

Weird thing is, I can't help but wonder if they intentionally made a bad video so that they could:
1. Get a lot of publicity. The clicks sell regardless.
2. Claim their political enemies said mean things to them. Probably racist things (lol).

It's weird that PC building and PC gaming now falls into political alignment against radical leftists, when there isn't anything political about it.
I know this is a bit 4d chess-ish, and this is most likely explained merely by incompetence, but it is amazing I am still hearing about this so many months later.

#51 ·
Well that was a little dramatic. It's pretty obvious that they did have a basic understanding of how to build a computer, they just got the details wrong. If they had started gluing and nailing parts together and ended up with a big paper weight, then it would be obvious that they had not even the slightest idea of how to build a computer.

That being said, having a basic understanding of something doesn't mean you should be making how-to videos.

#57 ·
Well,if they were going for the ol' "bad publicity is good publicity" stunt , they hit the nail on the head with this one..:rolleyes:

I bet they got more clicks than they had in a looong time before with this Kyle fiasco ..

..maybe now they will be able to afford the new elusive 8 thread 9900K for a new build,lol-ok I'll stop now..

#59 · (Edited)
Steve got a really backwards response from him, so he went on to do "something good for the world" by donating to charity and people have been following him and he's been re-tweeting everybody who did. Steve gave $1k + the ad proceeds from that video to charity ($1270 total), Paul from Paul's hardware gave $1337, Kyle (Bitwit) gave $1k, and many others joined in.

See here the unfolding of events at 03:38 (they had a dog-audio problem at one point, the sound resumes at 05:30):

https://youtu.be/k_QRMUT56S0?t=218

#64 ·
They were sort of reprimanded in private, well, at least until Kyle (Bitwit) made it public. They have been warned now, maybe if there is a next time where the reasoning is the same YouTube will do something substantial about it.

#71 ·
Can your really call it "nitpicking" when your were literally wrong about every thing you said or did?
Nitpicking would have been putting them on blast for using the AIO is an exhaust but the entire video was wrong in every way at every step.
That doesn't give anyone the right to bring race into it though becasue that makes you're side of the argument seem stupid (even if correct) and holds us back as humans.
All races and cultures have our differences but I never understood the hatred towards any race of people, I still remember my mom making remarks about mixed couples saying God doesn't like that sort of thing. :rolleyes: I grew up in the south, in the bible belt. How I came out as accepting and understanding as I am is beyond me (and my upbringing).

#73 ·
Could it be a troll? Sure. But why take it down if it was?
Majin only covered the basics lol
I hadn't seen it till a few days ago, it would seem like someone were TRYING to be that wrong that often. You'd think BY CHANCE they'd have gotten something right but from the looks of it that guy wouldn't have even gotten the socket right if not for PCpartpicker lol
OMG the 8700k bit was classic, like it was some rare 0.5% chance loot dropped by a final boss! That chip wan't even delidded bruh, I doubt it was ever even clocked past MCE!

#75 ·
As a person his age (roughly) I can tell you for certain, you're not just getting old, people are getting soft. People now are just as stupid as they've ever been but now parents aren't allowed (or don't want) to discipline their children. They're raised to believe that they're special, their actions are valid and their opinions matter. If anyone doesn't conform to that they must be stupid or a bigot against whatever their sensibilities are. Because of this they can't handle criticism, they lack the ability to look outside and see things for what they really are.
My generation will destroy a lot of obsolete technology, products and services. They may also finally start taking steps to slow the warming of our earth, stop the use of it as a dumpster for radioactive materials and slow raping of it's resources. That's good but they're also some of the most sensitive cry babies the planet has ever seen. I genuinely worked (manual labor) like an adult through my abusive childhood...started working at around 8 years old. I've been rich and I've been poor. I've been bullied and I've been the cool kids. Because of this I enjoy my own unique perspective which I enjoy from my own high horse made from broken glass lol.

#77 ·
I think that the teaching of self reliance and realistic consequences of actions has been abandoned by soft and lazy parents looking to make themselves feel good by keeping their kids comfortable instead of preparing them for the imperfect world they will face. It is easier emotionally and in terms of effort to just keep your kids in a safe bubble. But it is not fair to them. They need to live in the world without the support of their parents. You started doing that with your job, and that is how it used to be. Kids used to just play in the neighborhood outside with no supervision. And work when they needed money.
I saw that this last summer when I went back to the town I lived in 2014 to light off a $100 pile of wired together fireworks (since there are no police there) with my daughter. There were unsupervised kids everywhere and it seemed weird, even though that used to be the norm. There was no way I was going to sneak that pile past all of them so some tagged along and got a show. Good for them. They got to see me and the girl pick up all of the scattered cardboard off the baseball diamond too.
The guy putting on this pc building tutorial doesn't seem too experienced in checking his work due to exposure to the consequences of trial and error. He probably had parents who thought they were doing a good enough job if they released an adult who was used to living comfortably, got adequate grades and was socially acceptable.

#82 ·
A bit tin foil hat for my tastes. But who knows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.