[Various] [Updated 2] Vox Media Goes After YouTubers That Mocked The Verge PC Build Video - Page 9 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Various] [Updated 2] Vox Media Goes After YouTubers That Mocked The Verge PC Build Video

post #81 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 09:37 PM
MegaTechPC

Rep: 1092 (Unique: 517)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Well, what better way to create demand for loans and CC utilization than to make an instructional video teaching you how to ruin the expensive computer parts you just bought?
Ya know what, that is an angle I never even considered (though perhaps its a bit too conspiratorial for belief). I just thought the Capital One sponsorship was really embarrassing for both The Verge and Capital One, but what if it was actually an intentional attempt to get people to ruin their hardware, thus needing more of Capital One's services? Clearly the presenter was genuinely clueless about the entire process of building a PC (perhaps that's why they chose him in the first place?) but they allowed him to just bumble through the whole build on purpose anyway? In fact, some of the mistakes made in the build were actually fixed before the POST test was performed (they did eventually put fans on the radiator for example), so maybe the angle was that they allowed him to screw up every facet of the build process but then fixed it later in order to ensure that the PC still did function. That way all of the horrific mistakes shown in the tutorial would appear to be OK, since the PC did work after all.

Nah, that's just a little bit too tinfoil for me to accept, but it is an interesting thought I hadn't even considered. I suppose you could argue that they did eventually remove the video, but not before a slew of people could conceivably have ruined their hardware (possibly profiting Capital One) and they did almost immediately disable comments and the Like/Dislike option, which would keep those first-time builders completely ignorant of the scam. Interesting...

3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 03:01 PM
WaterCooler

Rep: 72 (Unique: 65)
A bit tin foil hat for my tastes. But who knows.

Deus Ex (2015-)
(21 items)
CPU
[Intel] Core i7-4790k
Motherboard
[ASUS] Z97-DELUXE
GPU
[ASUS] GTX 980 Strix
RAM
[Corsair] Vengance Pro Series 16GB DDR3-2400
Hard Drive
[Crucial] M550 512GB
Hard Drive
[WD] Black 3TB x 2
Power Supply
[Corsair] AX750
Cooling
[EK] Supremacy EVO - Gold
Cooling
[EK] GTX 980 Strix - Fullcover w/ Backplate
Cooling
[EK] D5 X-RES Top 100 w/ D5 Vario
Cooling
[Monsoon] 3/8" ID 5/8" OD Compressions - Gold
Cooling
[XSPC] EX240 x 2
Cooling
[Corsair] SP120 x 5 / AF120 x 1
Case
[Corsair] Carbide Air 540
Operating System
[Windows] 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Monitor
[LG] 32GK650F-B
Keyboard
[Corsair] K70 - Red switches
Mouse
[Razer] Naga Epic
Audio
[Audio Technica] ATH-A700
Audio
[Antlion] ModMic
Other
[Lamptron] FC5-V2
CPU
[Intel] Core i7-960
Motherboard
[ASUS] Rampage III Formula
GPU
[EVGA] GTX 670 FTW 2GB
RAM
[Corsair] Dominator-GT 6GB DDR3-1866
Hard Drive
[Crucial] M4 128GB
Hard Drive
[Samsung] Spinpoint F3 1TB x2
Hard Drive
[WD] Caviar Black 750GB
Power Supply
[Corsair] AX850
Cooling
[XSPC] Raystorm
Cooling
[XSPC] EX360 and EX240
Cooling
[Scythe] Gentle Typhoon AP-15 x 5
Cooling
[EVGA] GTX 680 Hydro Copper w/ Backplate
Cooling
[XSPC] Dual-bay Res w/ [Swiftech] MCP655
Cooling
[Bitfenix] Spectre Pro Red LED - 140mm x 4
Case
[NZXT] Switch 810 Matte Black
Operating System
[Windows] 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Monitor
[BenQ] XL2420TX
Keyboard
[Saitek] Cyborg V.5 Red LED
Mouse
[Razer] Naga Epic Red LED
Audio
[Audio Technica] ATH-A700
Audio
[ASUS] Xonar Essence STX
Other
[Lamptron] FC5-V2
CPU
[Intel] Core M-5Y10
GPU
[Intel] HD Graphics 5300
RAM
[Generic?] 8 GB DDR3
Hard Drive
[Generic?] 256GB SSD
Operating System
[Microsoft] Windows 10
Monitor
1920 x 1080
▲ hide details ▲
post #83 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 04:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
yeah fine for them. saved the video just because. it's hilarious btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:07 AM

What should you use?

Quote: Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
So what should I buy to properly ground myself, if I'm not in an industrial assembly factory?
One of these will work just fine.
https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Grou.../dp/B004N8ZQKY

These however do not work.
https://www.amazon.com/Livestrong-Ye...trong+bracelet

Alternatively you can develop a habit of always touching the case and power supply of the system while you are building to make sure that you have not built up a static charge. (YMMV depending on how dry your work environment is..)

Note that the proper cord from Amazon is called an ESD or Anti shock wristband and not a ground strap. It is designed to prevent an electrostatic discharge between you and the components you are working on, not to ground you.

Ask the electrician. The last thing you want to be when working on electronics is for your body to be grounded separately. If something goes wrong and your body becomes the path to ground you can end up hurt or dead.

Nuka Cola
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
post #85 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:54 AM
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱

Rep: 158 (Unique: 123)
Quote: Originally Posted by pgdeaner View Post
One of these will work just fine.
https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Grou.../dp/B004N8ZQKY

These however do not work.
https://www.amazon.com/Livestrong-Ye...trong+bracelet

Alternatively you can develop a habit of always touching the case and power supply of the system while you are building to make sure that you have not built up a static charge. (YMMV depending on how dry your work environment is..)

Note that the proper cord from Amazon is called an ESD or Anti shock wristband and not a ground strap. It is designed to prevent an electrostatic discharge between you and the components you are working on, not to ground you.

Ask the electrician. The last thing you want to be when working on electronics is for your body to be grounded separately. If something goes wrong and your body becomes the path to ground you can end up hurt or dead.

I think I have something that's similar to the first one, but I bought it on ebay and the color is blue.

Not the exact one but similar: https://www.ebay.com/itm/121653424560

Would that work?

I have it attached to my case (metal).

What would happen, let's say, if I work on a separate electronic not connected to my case? Would there be a risk of ESD?
Ie: working on motherboard separately on a deskmat, opening my laptop etc.

nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴ
█▀█ █▄█ ▀█▀ ▀█▀
Desktop for gaming
(17 items)
ThinkPad T480
(9 items)
ThinkPad T430 XM
(9 items)
CPU
i7 5820K
Motherboard
X99 Deluxe
GPU
RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra
RAM
Crucial 4x4GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 10TB
Optical Drive
Dell CH03N BD
Power Supply
EVGA 750 G2
Cooling
Swiftech Drive H360X3
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809
Monitor
BenQ XL2430T
Monitor
ASUS PG279Q
Keyboard
Bloody B850
Mouse
Logitech G102 Prodigy (Mercury)
CPU
i7 8550U
Motherboard
Lenovo Windu-2 20L5
GPU
Intel UHD 620
RAM
F4-3000C16D-16GRS | 2x8GB 2400MHz
Hard Drive
Intel NVME SSD 256GB
Power Supply
Lenovo 65w USB-C
Cooling
Delta 01YR200
Operating System
Monitor
LP140WF6-SPB7 FHD IPS
CPU
i7 3920XM
Motherboard
Nozomi 4 Type 2344 BZU
GPU
Intel HD4000
RAM
F3-2133C11-8GSRL | 2x8GB 2133MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
Power Supply
Lenovo 90W
Operating System
Monitor
AUO B140HAN01.3
Keyboard
Classic 7-row NMB 45N2211
▲ hide details ▲

post #86 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:01 PM

Yep.

Quote: Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
I think I have something that's similar to the first one, but I bought it on ebay and the color is blue.

Not the exact one but similar: https://www.ebay.com/itm/121653424560

Would that work?

I have it attached to my case (metal).

What would happen, let's say, if I work on a separate electronic not connected to my case? Would there be a risk of ESD?
Ie: working on motherboard separately on a deskmat, opening my laptop etc.
The one you have should work just fine. If you really want to be extra safe, you can buy work space mats that you can connect your wrist to but in most cases it would be overkill. This one is similar to the one we used at work.

https://www.amazon.com/24x27-5in-Bei...gateway&sr=8-5

The biggest worry is the initial discharge when you move into your work area or touch the first component that has metal. Unless you work in a really dry environment, like to brush you hair constantly while working, or have a mostly polyester wardrobe you should be ok.

I used to work with a guy that had a polyester wardrobe and was constantly combing his hair. He could make you jump three feet in the air if he built up a good static charge. Liked to walk up behind people and touch them on the earlobe while they were soldering. I nearly stabbed him with my soldering iron a couple of times.

Nuka Cola
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
post #87 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 02:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
All that stuff is overkill unless you drag your feet across the carpet really fast while you're working on stuff. You don't build up static setting in a chair. Touch a grounded object before you work on electrical stuff.
Ground is ground no matter what you're working on, you case uses the same ground as your microwave. All go to the earth. In 20 years I've never killed anything with ESD and I'm a tinkerer.

If you get shocked frequently by touching things it means something on you or around you is causing it and you should be extra cautious and use the bracelet. If you can't remember the last time you got shocked in your house/work environment just touch the case once before working on stuff.

Quote: Originally Posted by pgdeaner View Post
The biggest worry is the initial discharge when you move into your work area or touch the first component that has metal. Unless you work in a really dry environment, like to brush you hair constantly while working, or have a mostly polyester wardrobe you should be ok.

I used to work with a guy that had a polyester wardrobe and was constantly combing his hair. He could make you jump three feet in the air if he built up a good static charge. Liked to walk up behind people and touch them on the earlobe while they were soldering. I nearly stabbed him with my soldering iron a couple of times.

This.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #88 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:42 AM
boof

Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
They were sort of reprimanded in private, well, at least until Kyle (Bitwit) made it public. They have been warned now, maybe if there is a next time where the reasoning is the same YouTube will do something substantial about it.

lol they won't. Vox has 5.5 million subscribers and upwards of 30 million views per month. They are absolutely raking in money for YouTube. If there is a next time, YouTube will just sweep it under the rug and tell the victims to deal with it themselves. Just look at all of the huge controversial YouTubers, a few of them "promote" racism (actually just be edgy and casually use racism ironically) and one of them even uploaded a video of a dead body. All YouTube did about that was tell them to not do it again and moved on.

Quote:Originally Posted by TheBadBull https://www.overclock.net/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a level 5 vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

It's also why I eat my bacon in the dark ????????????????
Computer of Theseus
(16 items)
RIP Athlon '01-'11
(10 items)
PC MK1
(6 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R5 1600
Motherboard
Asus PRIME B350 PLUS
GPU
EVGA RTX 2070 8GB
RAM
16GB Corsair Vengence (2x8GB)
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 650 G2
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C White
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32LD450
Monitor
Dell
Monitor
Valve Index Headset
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Midnight MX Blue
Mouse
Steelseries Rival 310
Other
Valve Index Base Station
Other
Logitech G29
CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair V
GPU
nVidia GTX 550Ti
RAM
12GB DDR3
Hard Drive
500GB WD Blue
Cooling
Coolermaster Evo
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro
Operating System
Windows 8 Pro
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
AMD Athlon 1300 1.3Ghz
Motherboard
Asrock
GPU
nVidia 7200GS
RAM
1GB
Hard Drive
80GB IDE
Operating System
Windows XP
▲ hide details ▲
post #89 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:41 AM

I agree.

Quote: Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post
lol they won't. Vox has 5.5 million subscribers and upwards of 30 million views per month. They are absolutely raking in money for YouTube. If there is a next time, YouTube will just sweep it under the rug and tell the victims to deal with it themselves. Just look at all of the huge controversial YouTubers, a few of them "promote" racism (actually just be edgy and casually use racism ironically) and one of them even uploaded a video of a dead body. All YouTube did about that was tell them to not do it again and moved on.
To me this is the problem with YouTube. It falls prey to the "tabloid" syndrome and it impacts the common journalistic style. People who create media there have an incentive to be rude, sensationalist, controversial, overtly sexual, even racist. That's what gets views.

They pander to the lowest common denominator of human behavior and many have little journalistic integrity. If they are big enough and have enough viewers they are immune to censor and as it seems even public outcry.

I'm no fan of the verge either but this was and interesting story about PewDiePie who is/was arguably the biggest celeb on YouTube with more viewers than some news programs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...ggest-creator/

Nuka Cola
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in