[ProMarket] Amazon’s Latest Supplier Purge Is a Classic Indicator of Price Predation - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[ProMarket] Amazon’s Latest Supplier Purge Is a Classic Indicator of Price Predation

post #51 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:41 PM
Senioritis Member

Rep: 522 (Unique: 329)
Quote: Originally Posted by Sir Beregond View Post
I've had prime since 2009 and while I will lament their packaging methods, I've noticed it's gotten better. Though even with the poorly packed stuff, I've never had broken merchandise, incorrect merchandise, or any runaround like that.

Twice I had packages ship through OnTrac which has to be the worst shipping company in existence. 2-3 days late both times. I called and complained and none of my packages have shipped through them since.

Once I did not receive a package (it was marked delivered) and when I called they pretty much no questions asked refunded the order quick and painless.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Ontrak has cleaned up their act lately and have been pretty reliable. The ones that I will not deal with is DHL and Amazon's own carrier. I tried to get Amazon to not use their carrier again for my shipments after one of their idiot drivers dropped a package at the door of my shipping address (a UPS store in a strip mall) after hours (it was a miracle that the package was still there the next morning when the store opened up although the box had been opened). The first customer "service" rep I talked to said they wouldn't use their carrier for my packages anymore but the next time I ordered something, they used their misbegotten carrier again. When I complained again, the rep basically said they would use any carrier they felt appropriate. That was the last time I deliberately ordered anything from Amazon.

I got snookered into ordering a circular saw a couple of months ago from a misbegotten Amazon fulfilled marketplace vendor who had advertised on Fleabay without disclosing the jerk was an Amazon vendor. I knew the saw was from a bulk shipment and wouldn't be in the manufacturer's packaging but amazon just dropped it loose in a box with no dunnage (packing materials) at all. That sure doesn't seem like they improved their packaging to me. I saw something on the news about Amazon and they showed a woman packing a box. She dropped the merchandise into the box, ripped off a short length of rumpled paper and dropped it in the box and quickly moved on to the next box. I don't blame the packer since Amazon probably requires their packers to pack so many orders per hour and minimize the use of dunnage.

Here is a picture of how they packed some light bulbs I had ordered a while back. Several of the bulbs were broken. Those air pillows were loose on top of the bulbs. All were supposed to be warm white but several of them were daylight. When I complained about the packaging (complete with pictures), they said they forwarded the complaint to the appropriate people. The replacements I received had a daylight and one broken bulb due to the same bad packaging. When I complained again, I got the same response. The third try, I got lucky and the two replacements weren't broken.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	259704

I've received other broken or wrong merchandise since then. The package that got dropped at the door after hours at my shipping address had to be returned because the fan was the wrong color and the hole saw mandrel had 1/16" runout (the latter was the manufacturer's fault). The replacement fan was also the wrong color (how hard is it to tell black from white?). I returned the fan for a refund and ordered from Newegg (I got lucky and Newegg had them on sale). I got snookered by another misbegotten Amazon vendor on Fleabay when I ordered a couple of soap dispensers. One arrived broken because of the lousy packaging.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive CH12LS28
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving
Audio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 12:22 AM
To The Game

Rep: 290 (Unique: 197)
Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I've received other broken or wrong merchandise since then. The package that got dropped at the door after hours at my shipping address had to be returned because the fan was the wrong color and the hole saw mandrel had 1/16" runout (the latter was the manufacturer's fault). The replacement fan was also the wrong color (how hard is it to tell black from white?). I returned the fan for a refund and ordered from Newegg (I got lucky and Newegg had them on sale). I got snookered by another misbegotten Amazon vendor on Fleabay when I ordered a couple of soap dispensers. One arrived broken because of the lousy packaging.

I make the better part of 100 orders a year through amazon and it's extremely rare for one of my orders to be wrong or damaged. It has happened though when it does it's always resolved quickly.
post #53 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 05:43 AM
Senioritis Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post
I make the better part of 100 orders a year through amazon and it's extremely rare for one of my orders to be wrong or damaged. It has happened though when it does it's always resolved quickly.
I really don't care how well Amazon has done for others; they still caused a lot of problems for me. I also don't care how quickly problems get resolved; the problems shouldn't happen in the first place, especially when they happen frequently and repeatedly due to incompetence.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Audio
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:56 AM
WaterCooler

Rep: 72 (Unique: 65)
I really don't care how well Amazon has done for others; they still caused a lot of problems for me. I also don't care how quickly problems get resolved; the problems shouldn't happen in the first place, especially when they happen frequently and repeatedly due to incompetence.
Completely reasonable and had I had your experience I'd likely feel the same.

As for OnTrac, speak for yourself. I bought something somewhere else fairly recently (maybe last 6ish months?) that shipped through OffTrac and it was the same OffTrac I know and don't love with the added benefit of them fudging the tracking details, and they are also the only ones to leave my packages right out in the open at the bottom of the stairs for anyone to steal (miracle it hasn't). They haven't changed at all for the better out here.

Deus Ex (2015-)
(21 items)
CPU
[Intel] Core i7-4790k
Motherboard
[ASUS] Z97-DELUXE
GPU
[ASUS] GTX 980 Strix
RAM
[Corsair] Vengance Pro Series 16GB DDR3-2400
Hard Drive
[Crucial] M550 512GB
Hard Drive
[WD] Black 3TB x 2
Power Supply
[Corsair] AX750
Cooling
[EK] Supremacy EVO - Gold
Cooling
[EK] GTX 980 Strix - Fullcover w/ Backplate
Cooling
[EK] D5 X-RES Top 100 w/ D5 Vario
Cooling
[Monsoon] 3/8" ID 5/8" OD Compressions - Gold
Cooling
[XSPC] EX240 x 2
Cooling
[Corsair] SP120 x 5 / AF120 x 1
Case
[Corsair] Carbide Air 540
Operating System
[Windows] 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Monitor
[LG] 32GK650F-B
Keyboard
[Corsair] K70 - Red switches
Mouse
[Razer] Naga Epic
Audio
[Audio Technica] ATH-A700
Audio
[Antlion] ModMic
Other
[Lamptron] FC5-V2
CPU
[Intel] Core i7-960
Motherboard
[ASUS] Rampage III Formula
GPU
[EVGA] GTX 670 FTW 2GB
RAM
[Corsair] Dominator-GT 6GB DDR3-1866
Hard Drive
[Crucial] M4 128GB
Hard Drive
[Samsung] Spinpoint F3 1TB x2
Hard Drive
[WD] Caviar Black 750GB
Power Supply
[Corsair] AX850
Cooling
[XSPC] Raystorm
Cooling
[XSPC] EX360 and EX240
Cooling
[Scythe] Gentle Typhoon AP-15 x 5
Cooling
[EVGA] GTX 680 Hydro Copper w/ Backplate
Cooling
[XSPC] Dual-bay Res w/ [Swiftech] MCP655
Cooling
[Bitfenix] Spectre Pro Red LED - 140mm x 4
Case
[NZXT] Switch 810 Matte Black
Operating System
[Windows] 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Monitor
[BenQ] XL2420TX
Keyboard
[Saitek] Cyborg V.5 Red LED
Mouse
[Razer] Naga Epic Red LED
Audio
[Audio Technica] ATH-A700
Audio
[ASUS] Xonar Essence STX
Other
[Lamptron] FC5-V2
CPU
[Intel] Core M-5Y10
GPU
[Intel] HD Graphics 5300
RAM
[Generic?] 8 GB DDR3
Hard Drive
[Generic?] 256GB SSD
Operating System
[Microsoft] Windows 10
Monitor
1920 x 1080
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Sir Beregond; 03-17-2019 at 09:05 AM.
post #55 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:35 AM
Senioritis Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Sir Beregond View Post
Completely reasonable and had I had your experience I'd likely feel the same.

As for OnTrac, speak for yourself. I bought something somewhere else fairly recently (maybe last 6ish months?) that shipped through OffTrac and it was the same OffTrac I know and don't love with the added benefit of them fudging the tracking details, and they are also the only ones to leave my packages right out in the open at the bottom of the stairs for anyone to steal (miracle it hasn't). They haven't changed at all for the better out here.

I might be getting better results from Ontrack (I also call them Offtrack ) because my shipping address is a commercial address (Amazon's delivery people are the only ones that don't observe the different rules for commercial addresses). The two vendors I use that use Ontrack (Offtrack?) most frequently are Monoprice and Newegg. Both ship out of CA (most of the time) and I'm in AZ. Next day delivery after the package has been tendered to the carrier is not unusual, even for standard rates, depending on the time the carrier receives the package.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Audio
Audio
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
Other
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
▲ hide details ▲
post #56 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:55 PM
1689 Federalist

Rep: 241 (Unique: 208)
Ontrak has cleaned up their act lately and have been pretty reliable. The ones that I will not deal with is DHL and Amazon's own carrier. I tried to get Amazon to not use their carrier again for my shipments after one of their idiot drivers dropped a package at the door of my shipping address (a UPS store in a strip mall) after hours (it was a miracle that the package was still there the next morning when the store opened up although the box had been opened). The first customer "service" rep I talked to said they wouldn't use their carrier for my packages anymore but the next time I ordered something, they used their misbegotten carrier again. When I complained again, the rep basically said they would use any carrier they felt appropriate. That was the last time I deliberately ordered anything from Amazon.

I got snookered into ordering a circular saw a couple of months ago from a misbegotten Amazon fulfilled marketplace vendor who had advertised on Fleabay without disclosing the jerk was an Amazon vendor. I knew the saw was from a bulk shipment and wouldn't be in the manufacturer's packaging but amazon just dropped it loose in a box with no dunnage (packing materials) at all. That sure doesn't seem like they improved their packaging to me. I saw something on the news about Amazon and they showed a woman packing a box. She dropped the merchandise into the box, ripped off a short length of rumpled paper and dropped it in the box and quickly moved on to the next box. I don't blame the packer since Amazon probably requires their packers to pack so many orders per hour and minimize the use of dunnage.

Here is a picture of how they packed some light bulbs I had ordered a while back. Several of the bulbs were broken. Those air pillows were loose on top of the bulbs. All were supposed to be warm white but several of them were daylight. When I complained about the packaging (complete with pictures), they said they forwarded the complaint to the appropriate people. The replacements I received had a daylight and one broken bulb due to the same bad packaging. When I complained again, I got the same response. The third try, I got lucky and the two replacements weren't broken.

Attachment 259704

I agree their packaging is ridiculous at times. I should complain more. I bought some stuff over Christmas from Newegg and forgot that those air pillows can actually be used very well, newegg did a great job.

The thing with amazon for me though is that whenever there is an issue they bend over backwards to fix it. Which is appreciated.

Black Box
(11 items)
CPU
R5 2600X
Motherboard
Asus Strix B450-I
GPU
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
RAM
GSkill 16gb 3200c14 Flare
Hard Drive
500gb SSD
Power Supply
EVGA G1+ 850
Cooling
Macho Rev B
Case
NZXT H200 Black
Monitor
LG 32GK650F-B 1440p 144hz
Mouse
Sensei Raw
Audio
Sony Core Bookshelves
▲ hide details ▲

post #57 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 05:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post
Prime includes a cut down version of amazon music.

Around here amazon prime is $120 a year or $13.00 a month.

Surprised it's so much cheaper in Europe. I'm guessing they're still working on breaking ground in your area.

To make money you pretty much have to do wholesale.

What you do is find a product that some manufacturer makes. Have them custom make the item for you. You change some minor things like color and then include your branding on it. Now you can sell said item as the only seller and compete with yourself. Build up a good brand name and expand into other products.

For instance, I bought a gpu brace. There were many options all the same general design. I paid an extra dollar or two for the one I got because it looked a little nicer and I liked the logo. I now notice other products with the same brand name and am more inclined to go with them over competition.

This is the basic idea anyway. Nothing is ever so simple but from what I've gathered that's more or less where you want to be when doing fba.
I get prime for half price here in the US. There are many ways. However, once you go down that route, you will quickly find yourself even de-prioritized when it comes to shipping. We canceled during the last price increase, they hit us with a half off offer, now their 'prime shipping' often is 3-5 days out instead of the 2 days out. Then again, shipping was headed in that direction to begin with.
post #58 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 06:07 PM
New to Posting

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
shipping is the keyword here. every single physical item whether bought or sold has to be shipped.

i drive trucks for a living, and it doesn't matter if its FedEx UPS or amazon(package trucks is what im getting at here, 10,000 items going to 10,000 different locations), no matter how early you are to the pickup, there is always something on the load that is late.

all three have been forced to adopt O/O at $5 or more a mile per load. it adds up quick.

CPU
Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard
MSI AM4 B450I Gaming Plus AC
GPU
MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB
RAM
Patriot Viper 4 2x8gb 3000mhz
Hard Drive
500gb Mushkin Source M.2
Hard Drive
1tb Mushkin Source SSD
Power Supply
Corsair CX 650
Power Supply
2016 International Prostar 2200w Inverter
Cooling
Coolermaster LC120E AIO
Case
Silverstone Sugo13
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Monitor
Insignia 43" 4K HDR
Monitor
Samsung Odyssey+
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by nonametoclaim; 03-19-2019 at 06:33 PM.
post #59 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:29 AM
curmudgeon

Rep: 306 (Unique: 177)
I quit buying from Amazon when they forced big tax breaks from California to move a warehouse into the state.

When buying from Newegg it usually took 3-4 days for a package to arrive until over a year ago when suddenly my orders were being shipped directly from China and took 3 weeks.

Now I shop at SuperBiiz and packages take 2-3 days to arrive.

IOKIYAR
Junkyard Dog
(18 items)
Blackie
(17 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard
Biostar X370 GT7
GPU
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon Vega 64
RAM
G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD
Hard Drive
Western Digital 500gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 evo 1tb ssd
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Seasonic 850 watt
Cooling
Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
Case
Silverstone Redline RL05
Operating System
Win 10 64bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent vertical mouse
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative X-FI
Other
Sennheiser headphones HD 599
CPU
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz
Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth
GPU
Sapphire Fury
RAM
G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL
Hard Drive
Western Digital
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Optical Drive
Memorex Lightscribe dvd
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3
Cooling
Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
Case
Silverstone Redline RL02b
Operating System
Win X 64 bit
Monitor
Pixio 27" 1440P
Keyboard
yes
Mouse
Evoluent VM4
Mouse
yes
Audio
Creative Soundblaster Z
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones
▲ hide details ▲
post #60 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:08 AM
Senioritis Member

Quote: Originally Posted by miklkit View Post
I quit buying from Amazon when they forced big tax breaks from California to move a warehouse into the state.

When buying from Newegg it usually took 3-4 days for a package to arrive until over a year ago when suddenly my orders were being shipped directly from China and took 3 weeks...
You need to pay more attention when ordering from Newegg. Listing will show if an item is being sold and shipped by Newegg or a third party vendor. Often, Newegg will list an item being from a third party vendor if it is the cheapest one but will also provide the option to buy directly from another vendor, including Newegg. Also, most items being shipped from Asia are accordingly notated.

The third party vendors are a crapshoot at best. I order only directly from Newegg and almost never have a problem.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Audio
Audio
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
Other
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in