[TechSpot] Thousands of Amazon workers are listening to your Alexa conversations - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[TechSpot] Thousands of Amazon workers are listening to your Alexa conversations

post #1 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 894 (Unique: 503)
[TechSpot] Thousands of Amazon workers are listening to your Alexa conversations

Quote:
Bloomberg writes that Amazon employs thousands of contractors and full-time workers around the world, “from Boston to Costa Rica, India and Romania,” to listen to voice recordings captured by Echo devices. These are transcribed and annotated with the aim of improving the performance of digital assistant Alexa, helping the AI better understand human speech.

Bloomberg spoke to seven people that worked on the program, who revealed they reviewed as many as 1,000 clips per shift.
Quote:
We’ve long known that smart devices can be triggered accidentally. According to the auditors, they transcribed as many as 100 recordings per day where no wake command was given.
Quote:
Amazon does state in its privacy policy that it may use Alexa requests to train the AI, though there’s no mention of this process being carried out by humans. And it’s not just Amazon that does this, Apple and Google also use workers in the same way for improving Siri and Google Assistant. All companies say the clips lack personally identifiable information.
Source.

Bold for emphasis. Unless they distort the voices just like news pieces do with witnesses in sensitive matters - which I would argue would completely defeat the purpose here, and also somehow remove the accidental recordings' personal details beforehand, then this is basically a self-evident lie. Also, there are billions of hours of speech available on a multitude of freely accessible on-line video and audio platforms, so why does any company need to do this? And for how long will the justification be "feeding AI"?

Last edited by tpi2007; 04-11-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
I'm not putting down the article or anything but I thought this was common knowledge.
It's not like the AI trains it's self, someone needs to interpret what's said and how the device responded to improve functionality. How else would it work?
Personally I don't need a box to order stuff and check the weather for me, I feel like by owning one of these things you accept that anything said in it's vecinity might be listened to...in some cases probably used against you.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:22 PM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Rep: 371 (Unique: 184)
Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Unless they distort the voices just like news pieces do with witnesses in sensitive matters - which I would argue would completely defeat the purpose here, and also somehow remove the accidental recordings' personal details beforehand, then this is basically a self-evident lie.
Oh please.

Nobody is going to ruin your life by spoofing your voiceprint. This isn't a James Bond movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:35 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 119 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
I'm not putting down the article or anything but I thought this was common knowledge.
It's not like the AI trains it's self, someone needs to interpret what's said and how the device responded to improve functionality. How else would it work?
Personally I don't need a box to order stuff and check the weather for me, I feel like by owning one of these things you accept that anything said in it's vecinity might be listened to...in some cases probably used against you.
I figured the same as well, then again I also figured all these "free" social media services we have aren't actually "free" yet most people still don't understand the business model.

I'm just waiting for the day people voluntarily have cameras in their house recording their every move. It seems farfetched but so was this a decade ago. It'll be some kind of social media convenience connected home thing, like the home security cams merged in with some IOT/social media aspect, the Facebook portal thing but improved.

By then about the only privacy you'll have left is when you're in the crapper. I think even that's going too, there's apps now for tracking your period and probably your dump cycles which are of course being data mined for something.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:54 PM
I <3 narcissists

Rep: 219 (Unique: 136)
Like you guys, I assumed this is what was being done. The voice commands are one of the most useless features added to electronics, for me at least, so I never use them.

Alexa is easy to get rid of, I just don't use the remote that came with my FireTV, but my phone is pretty useless without a mic so I have accepted the fact that Google is probably recording my life in some super compressed audio format.

Gaming Rig
(12 items)
Couch Gaming Rig
(10 items)
Work rig
(11 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Master
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
HP EX920 m.2
Hard Drive
Intel SSD6 m.2
Hard Drive
Intel SSD6 m.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Win 10 Home
Monitor
LG 32GK650G
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
Asus x470i
GPU
Radeon VII
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 evo
Power Supply
InWin A1
Cooling
NZXT M22
Case
InWin A1
Operating System
Win10 Home
Monitor
Vizio 4k TV
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate
GPU
GTX 750
RAM
Patriot Viper
Hard Drive
HP EX920 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
NZXT Source 210
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
BenQ PD3200Q
Monitor
LG 32UD59
▲ hide details ▲

post #6 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:00 PM
Indentified! On the Way!!

Rep: 153 (Unique: 114)
I use two of them in my house to control my garage door, hue lights and a few smartplugs. It's handy. I have no illusions of privacy either. My wife and I actually get a lil toasty on Saturday evenings with a couple drinks and discuss how we're going to murder people and ask Alexa how to dispose of a body.

Playing with fire??? Maybe.......but it's all good, drunken, sexy time fun!!
post #7 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 894 (Unique: 503)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post

It's common knowledge to a point, and then there's the usual omissions by these companies, so it's never enough to highlight when reports like these go into the detail of how it actually happens and where it happens.

Also, as I asked, why do these companies need to do this at all to feed their AI? Why don't they just put all these workers and contract workers transcribing all the films ever made, along with all the TV programs and news in the world and feed it all into the AI, along with all the radio programs from the past and present, heck, just tune into every radio station broadcasting in the world right now to have billions of hours of voice recordings to feed the algorithm and then, on top of all that, pour all of the billions of hours of YouTube content into it:

Quote:
As of February 2017, there were more than 400 hours of content uploaded to YouTube each minute
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube

Bold for emphasis.

I'd say that in every case I mentioned above the expectation of privacy is non-existent as it was publicly broadcast.

How much voice content do they need to train the AI?

Quote: Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post
Oh please.

Nobody is going to ruin your life by spoofing your voiceprint. This isn't a James Bond movie.

Where do you make up stuff like that? I didn't claim any of that.

Last edited by tpi2007; 04-11-2019 at 04:12 PM.
post #8 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:53 PM
I <3 narcissists

Rep: 219 (Unique: 136)
Quote: Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post
I use two of them in my house to control my garage door, hue lights and a few smartplugs. It's handy. I have no illusions of privacy either. My wife and I actually get a lil toasty on Saturday evenings with a couple drinks and discuss how we're going to murder people and ask Alexa how to dispose of a body.

Playing with fire??? Maybe.......but it's all good, drunken, sexy time fun!!
I doubt it's playing with fire, most likely you are bringing a little ray of sunshine into someones day. Since it's a day filled with transcribing some of the most boring crap ever, I'd say you are doing a good deed by making someone smile.

Gaming Rig
(12 items)
Couch Gaming Rig
(10 items)
Work rig
(11 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Master
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
HP EX920 m.2
Hard Drive
Intel SSD6 m.2
Hard Drive
Intel SSD6 m.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Win 10 Home
Monitor
LG 32GK650G
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
Asus x470i
GPU
Radeon VII
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 evo
Power Supply
InWin A1
Cooling
NZXT M22
Case
InWin A1
Operating System
Win10 Home
Monitor
Vizio 4k TV
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate
GPU
GTX 750
RAM
Patriot Viper
Hard Drive
HP EX920 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
NZXT Source 210
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
BenQ PD3200Q
Monitor
LG 32UD59
▲ hide details ▲

post #9 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:54 PM
It Just Works

Shouldn't really come as a surprise. This man knew the game, 20 years ago.

"You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it." - Scott McNealy, CEO of Sun Microsystems, 1999

post #10 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:02 PM
Not a linux lobbyist

Rep: 44 (Unique: 35)
This almost makes me want to go back to my windows phone. Thing still works well enough, especially audio quality, but the apps work like the free versions of free android apps. I can't imagine MS has thousands in the windows mobile department, maybe just a handful of creeps.

Edit: My daughter was pretty surprised. This will probably be making the rounds at her gradeschool tomorrow.
And I had assumed they were using software for data mining as well, since software can already understand what you are saying. Maybe we will hear about people watching cameras next. It isn't much of a jump from microphones.

L5
(17 items)
Lea2
(11 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5775c
Motherboard
Maximus VII Hero
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
16 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
8 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
Hard Drive
1Tb Team ssd
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design R4 (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Focal Elear, Nova 40, 598se, HE4xx, DT990pro w b.boost earpads
Audio
SoundbasterX AE-5, onboard
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Fury Nitro
RAM
8Gb klevv urbane 2133
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
8Gb 1600 samsung
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
24" samsung 1080p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by rluker5; 04-11-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in