[Sciencealert.com] Researchers Just Demonstrated Nuclear Fusion in a Device Small Enough to Keep at Home - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Sciencealert.com] Researchers Just Demonstrated Nuclear Fusion in a Device Small Enough to Keep at Home

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:25 PM
Invalid Media
 
J7SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 682
Rep: 10 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by Omega X View Post
Humans don't rapidly develop anything unless its life or death.

That may be true for a lot of advancements, but never count out 'chance', such as the accidental discovery of Penicillin
J7SC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:59 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
white owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The land of Nod
Posts: 5,347
Rep: 135 (Unique: 102)
Quote: Originally Posted by Omega X View Post
Fun fact:
When they built that town in TN for people to work/live at, copper was scarce as it was being used for bullets and wire. The facility that was making the uranium or plutonium obviously consumed gobs of power but since they couldn't use copper they actually made the enormous wires out of silver. The more you know...

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
white owl is offline  
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:08 AM
Overclocker
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9,050
Rep: 301 (Unique: 220)
Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post
"nuclear device to keep at home."

uhhh, i wonder if you'd have a bunch of swat forces surrounding your house if you do own one at home.
You could build one and they still don't. At least not in 90s. But if you stream your gaming nowadays they sure will!
JackCY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:41 PM
Original 16-bit Genesis®
 
Omega X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: That gap between the couch cushion.
Posts: 1,596
Rep: 66 (Unique: 43)
Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post
That may be true for a lot of advancements, but never count out 'chance', such as the accidental discovery of Penicillin

I was talking about active deliberate development. Accidental discoveries still happen. But when people feel that they're gonna have hardship, things tend to get brute forced into existence.
Omega X is offline  
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:25 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
DNMock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3,277
Rep: 161 (Unique: 120)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Hopefully they figure it out soon...not for homes though. We've already got several global disasters worth of spent rods, some sitting on a fault line and on the shore of California with literally no plans of removal.
Fusion, not fission. No radio active rods.

Nuclear fission power plants capable of being in your home already exist and are past the proof of concept phase. NASA has one powering the curiosity rover on mars right now.


DNMock is offline  
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:57 PM
*cough*Stock*cough*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: in my mancave
Posts: 3,102
Rep: 230 (Unique: 200)
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
Fusion, not fission. No radio active rods.

Nuclear fission power plants capable of being in your home already exist and are past the proof of concept phase. NASA has one powering the curiosity rover on mars right now.
NOT a fission reactor. It is a radio-isotope thermoelectric generator. It uses the decay heat from a chunk of radioactive material (usually plutonium, but americium and strontium have had devices also built around them) passing through thermocouples to generate electricity. A fission reactor has an active chain reaction that consumes fuel, and requires active cooling and control to safely function.

Carter, can you explain that in *English*?
Leviathan
(17 items)
Cheapshot Reborn
(8 items)
Charred
(10 items)
CPU
Xeon E5-2690
Motherboard
Biostar TPower X79
GPU
PNY GTX 660 2GB
GPU
Dell GTX 645
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws 4x2GB 1600mhz
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB
Hard Drive
Patriot Pyro 60GB
Power Supply
Seasonic G550
Cooling
Xigmatek Gaia
Case
Xclio Nighthawk
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
Acer S230HL
Monitor
Lenovo Thinkvision L171
Keyboard
Logitech K120
Mouse
Logitech MX310
CPU
Xeon X5650
Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
GPU
Asus GTX 460 1GB
RAM
Gskill PI 3x2GB DDR3-1600
Hard Drive
500GB Western Digital
Power Supply
EVGA 500B 500W Bronze
Cooling
Corsair H50
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
CPU
AMD Phenom II x4 940
Motherboard
M3A78-EM
RAM
G.skill 2x2GB DDR2-800
RAM
OCZ 2x2GB DDR2-800
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint 40GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital 1TB
Power Supply
Antec Neo ECO 400W
Cooling
Xigmatek Gaia
Case
Rosewill R102-P-BK Black
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
▲ hide details ▲


Cyrious is offline  
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:11 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
white owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The land of Nod
Posts: 5,347
Rep: 135 (Unique: 102)
Quote: Originally Posted by DNMock View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Hopefully they figure it out soon...not for homes though. We've already got several global disasters worth of spent rods, some sitting on a fault line and on the shore of California with literally no plans of removal.
Fusion, not fission. No radio active rods.

Nuclear fission power plants capable of being in your home already exist and are past the proof of concept phase. NASA has one powering the curiosity rover on mars right now.
Exactly why I said I hope they'll figure it out soon.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
white owl is offline  
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:50 PM
I Love this Hobby!
 
Gunderman456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,994
Rep: 587 (Unique: 489)
Why do this when Tesla was able to harness free energy which was then torn down and hidden. You can't charge monthly for free energy. We're so backwards when it comes to producing energy, people think we're ahead.

-Guide to 1st Case Modding for Better GPU(s) Performance/Cooling-
https://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...ing-guide
-Guide to 2nd Case Modding for Better GPU(s) Performance/Cooling-
https://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...e-fan-mod
Bit'O'Heaven
(16 items)
Cigar ATX PC
(14 items)
CPU
Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VI Rog Gene
GPU
Gigabyte AMD R9 290 @ 1160GHz Core/1350GHz Mem
GPU
Gigabyte AMD R9 290 @ 1160GHz Core/1350GHz Mem
RAM
G.SKILL Trident X DDR3 16GB 2400MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 PRO 256GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB
Optical Drive
Pioneer Black Blu-ray 16X BD-R 2X BD-RE
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1300W 80PLUS Gold Fully Modular
Cooling
Open Water Loop
Case
Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
Operating System
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Nixeus EDG 27" Freesync 1440p 144Hz
Monitor
Samsung 245BW 24" 1200p 60Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G15
Mouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X5
Mousepad
ALLSOP Redmond Mouse Pad
Audio
Cambridge Soundworks 5.1
CPU
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX mITX
GPU
Sapphire AMD HD 7990
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 8GB 1600MHz
Hard Drive
Crucial SSD 128GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda HDD 1TB
Optical Drive
LG DVD R/W
Power Supply
Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 Fully Modular
Cooling
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100
Case
BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ATX Black Case
Operating System
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Samsung TV 52"
Keyboard
Logitech K330 Wireless
Mouse
Logitech M215 Wireless
Mousepad
Corsair Vengeance MM200
Audio
Yamaha RX-V681 PSB/PolkAudio 5.1
CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 640
Motherboard
ASRock N68C-GS
GPU
NVIDIA 6600GT
RAM
G. Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Blue 500GB 16MB Cache 7200RPM
Optical Drive
LG Optical Drive
Power Supply
Thermaltake TR2 600W
Cooling
Thermaltake Max Orb
Case
Cigar Boxes
Operating System
Windows 7
Monitor
Viewsonic 19” Flatscreen CRT
Keyboard
Gigabyte GK-K6800 103
Mouse
Zalman ZM-M300
Mouse
Corsair Vengeance MM200
▲ hide details ▲


Gunderman456 is offline  
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:01 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
white owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The land of Nod
Posts: 5,347
Rep: 135 (Unique: 102)
Quote: Originally Posted by Gunderman456 View Post
Why do this when Tesla was able to harness free energy which was then torn down and hidden. You can't charge monthly for free energy. We're so backwards when it comes to producing energy, people think we're ahead.
Wardenclyffe (the torn down tower) wasn't harnessing free energy, in essence it was a large Tesla coil which charged the air, with a handful of them around the globe we could have had electric air craft. His smaller scale testing worked very well so scaling it up should have worked too but as you said it would be hard to charge money for that. There will be a breaking point soon though, the greed won't stop but eventually life on earth will collapse on a large scale very quickly. Roughly 50% of animal life has already died while people continue having more children.



I'm actually very surprised we don't have a thermocouple on every volcano on the planet lol

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
white owl is offline  
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:42 PM
Fantastic Mr Fox
 
randomizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,800
Rep: 174 (Unique: 119)
Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post
"nuclear device to keep at home."

uhhh, i wonder if you'd have a bunch of swat forces surrounding your house if you do own one at home.
Probably not, but the FBI might come.

randomizer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off