[Sciencealert.com] Researchers Just Demonstrated Nuclear Fusion in a Device Small Enough to Keep at Home - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Sciencealert.com] Researchers Just Demonstrated Nuclear Fusion in a Device Small Enough to Keep at Home

post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Indentified! On the Way!!

Rep: 151 (Unique: 113)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post
It's even worse than that.

Fifteen years ago I saw a demonstration of fuel that can't melt down. Literally can't. As temperature increases, the fuel pellets themselves absorb more neutrons and moderate the reaction. It self-stabilizes below the melting point, so even if you lose all cooling, the fuel itself is still safe. To demonstrate this they had some of the control rods on pneumatic pistons that could eject them from the core very quickly. When doing that, the reaction spikes, and peeking down from the top of the pool the reactor sits in I saw the bright blue flash of Cherenkov radiation from the spike in reaction rate, which over a couple seconds damped back down to normal. They didn't adjust anything else about the reactor, just removed some of the control rods and the reaction restabilized on its own.

They've had this for decades, but no one hears about it, and any time a new plant wants to get put in people don't want it. The problem is that people are assuming plants with 1970s technology are all we could possibly do, yet don't stop to think that maybe the same sorts of technological improvement we've seen in oh, I don't know, computers, might also have happened in nuclear engineering. Nah, they're all unreliable deathbombs waiting to go off.

Sigh.

Fusion won't have any of these problems, but it'll still be a hard sell because OMGNUKEYOOLAR

Well said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post
"nuclear device to keep at home."

uhhh, i wonder if you'd have a bunch of swat forces surrounding your house if you do own one at home.
Reality would both shock and scare you... allow me to enlighten. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in