[PCM] Scary Hacking Threat: Editing X-Ray Images to Add or Remove Cancer - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[PCM] Scary Hacking Threat: Editing X-Ray Images to Add or Remove Cancer

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 526 (Unique: 297)
yeah.... that pretty much sums it up.

all of it, specially post 3 & 4.

Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
If you were important enough to be the target of a hack like this, I'd be willing to bet you are also important enough to have access to two doctors.

at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:45 PM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 767 (Unique: 444)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo View Post
True, if you are in the vicinity of another doctor, who is accepting new patients, and in your insurance network, and doesn't require a referral, etc.

I'm not saying it's time for "EVERYBODY PANIC!!!". It's just something that needs to be watched, and if possible, patched.
exactly just that.

and this stuff of another doctor . . first thing they'll do is look at the "doctored" x-rays. w/o any apparent discrepancies- which a radiologist would see first - their diagnosis would be just as wrong as the first. if you think it would be different, you haven't spent much time in a doctor's office nor have half your family in the medical field.

"Name as many uses for a brick as you can in one minute." - interview at graphics-chip maker Nvidia for a campaign-manager job
Fermi: it's better to burn out than fade away.
Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
"The more you buy, the more you save." - Jensen Huang GTC 2018
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 30)
This is why medical equipment should be airgapped. There was someone a while back who posted here that they were hacked while they were in a hospital, by someone salty over a video game. Luckily the nurse noticed it and stopped the machine before it killed him.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Simple solution, just have two step verification like with an online bank or email logon security. In the case of the hospital where the xray is done the first step is the logon to the hospital system, and the second is the code from a SMS text sent to a smart device like a cell phone. I'm just joking, didn't mean to startle anyone.

Last edited by PharmingInStyle; 04-25-2019 at 07:43 PM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Whether it's tampering with x-ray's to give a fake cancer diagnosis, swatting, or whatever new trolling fad is around the corner judges need to be ruthless when sentencing these pricks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.72c26c232291

Honestly that sentence is a bit light considering someone died. 10 to 15 years would make sense if just attempting one of these "ultimate trolls", 25 to life if it works in any capacity.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 65)
These scanners should all have some kind of U2F security layer tbh. Have legitimate medical staff plug in their dongle when they're taking X-rays, and remove it afterwards. With an alarm if the machine has been idle for a few minutes with a dongle still plugged in, so as to prevent bad computer hygiene.
Would seriously hamper hackers ability to do this kind of stuff, unless someone's the subject of a targeted attack in which case attackers might just resort to any means necessary to reach their goal.

Steam     
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 12:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 50 (Unique: 46)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
If you were important enough to be the target of a hack like this, I'd be willing to bet you are also important enough to have access to two doctors.
Not sure how this exactly works but this is kinda creepy if any of the "Big Pharma Conspiracy" has any speck of truth where medical companies start making deals with hackers then spreading misdiagnosis in order to sell more drugs.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:57 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 301 (Unique: 220)
Just unplug the damn internet connection already. Why does a stupid xray need networking. I know I know the western modern all connected hospitals and what not but guess what it works fine elsewhere where doctors still use hard copies and paper instead of having fantasy tablets and whole hospital turned into a video game like in Grey's anatomy.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 161 (Unique: 120)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Just unplug the damn internet connection already. Why does a stupid xray need networking. I know I know the western modern all connected hospitals and what not but guess what it works fine elsewhere where doctors still use hard copies and paper instead of having fantasy tablets and whole hospital turned into a video game like in Grey's anatomy.
Here is the problem with that. A.I. can spot cancer and other stuff on an X-ray sooner and more accurately than most doctors already. It will do nothing but improve over the next few years. But in order to do that it's gotta be connected to the primary A.I. network.

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 35)
Quote: Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post
Sounds like the origin story for a new much more expensive way of taking "secure" x-rays. Or at minimum, new fees for maintaining the security of your x-rays.
this kind of security is something they should have to uphold anyway really

yo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in