[at] Putin signs “Internet sovereignty” bill that expands censorship - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[at] Putin signs “Internet sovereignty” bill that expands censorship

Closed Thread

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:12 PM
1689 Federalist

Rep: 241 (Unique: 208)
Quote: Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
That avatar??? Thank God for adblock.

Black Box
(11 items)
CPU
R5 2600X
Motherboard
Asus Strix B450-I
GPU
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
RAM
GSkill 16gb 3200c14 Flare
Hard Drive
500gb SSD
Power Supply
EVGA G1+ 850
Cooling
Macho Rev B
Case
NZXT H200 Black
Monitor
LG 32GK650F-B 1440p 144hz
Mouse
Sensei Raw
Audio
Sony Core Bookshelves
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:36 PM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 78 (Unique: 65)
So this is a grab for more control and seems pretty straightforward. China has done something similar, although China is more aggressive when it comes to manipulating what their citizens are allowed to see & say online.

Is Russia expected to heavily censor content as well?

Quote: Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
We do it different here in the West. Instead of actually stonewalling people and blocking information the traditional way like they do in China we just keep them suspended in a loop of bullcrap garbage information. Everything from click bait BS articles, instagram, pop culture, social media, the royals, pro sports and ultra targeted metadata advertising to keep people on the payday treadmill of buying stupid stuff to impress their stupid stuff wanting friends, one upping everyone look at me envying culture.

Same result different method. In China, Russia and other dictatorship countries they actively block information to keep the masses subdued, here the giants of Google/Amazon/Facebook/Microsoft/Apple just distract you into submission.
Just adding to your statement - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonic_treadmill

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 03:09 PM
mfw

Rep: 391 (Unique: 203)
here the giants of Google/Amazon/Facebook/Microsoft/Apple just distract you into submission.
Actually, Google actively censors a lot of results on their search engine. I've had to use DDG more than a few times to get more relevant returns, if not any at all.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:46 PM
Smug, Jaded, Enervated.

Rep: 101 (Unique: 66)
Australia isn't too far away from doing this, the government actively censors websites (VPN's can get around this), they can now access ISP's for any information on their users, and ASIO now has the legal power to access, copy, modify and delete 'any' file in 'any network' attached to the internet here in Australia, the sort of thing the CIA has wet-dreams about, and 0.001% of the population knew about this when our parliament voted it through, it certainly wasn't something made known to the public.

Welcome to George Orwells 1984 distopia everybody, it's already our day-to-day lives.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:48 AM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 119 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Actually, Google actively censors a lot of results on their search engine. I've had to use DDG more than a few times to get more relevant returns, if not any at all.
I'm aware that they do that, but most importantly unless you've taken steps to truly "randomize" yourself in the way that Google sees you as a completely new ID (user/hardware/ip/whatever) every time you hit it's search engine you will simply get trapped in the "filter bubble" where your search results will be based on previous content in some way and if it can be tied back down to some form of a unique identifier you will be kept in that bubble. Whether you agree with the concept or not, the problem is that you don't truly get "natural" search results.

I think I've finally got as close as possible to "natural" search results as you can get without running say Tor Browser (which Google actively blocks because you are too random which is unique in itself). The right combo of extensions, mods to FF, ipv6 VPN/SOCKS proxy so you have a clean/new IP that's not from a known pool of VPN's and Google search will hit me with a few Captcha's every single time (which shows that they don't know me) but won't bar me either like they do with Tor Browser.

I've repeatedly tested this, same search term/website with different ip's, machine configs in a VM, etc and I will get the same result so non-targeted filter bubble "natural" search results.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:12 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
No country should depend so much on other when it comes to internet. It is sad that so much has been centralized and is controlled by very few. True it's not great that some governments may misuse it, but lets face it, they already all do especially Spy5. It's no wonder other governments feel the need to be able to have a functioning internet without relying on other countries. Wasn't there a scheduled test already where they cut the whole country out, routing wise? Also the global routing mishaps of late are a cause of concern, countries were "mistakenly" disconnected from internet.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Wonder if Overclock is on their radar or maybe it already is and they're planning to put it on their ban list.

Everything from click bait BS articles, instagram, pop culture, social media, the royals, pro sports and ultra targeted metadata advertising to keep people on the payday treadmill of buying stupid stuff to impress their stupid stuff wanting friends, one upping everyone look at me envying culture.
Like buying a Titan RTX for gaming (to basically show off/brag.) Which I'm guilty of, didn't get one for business computing.

Last edited by ryan92084; 05-06-2019 at 05:08 AM.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 03:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 551 (Unique: 312)
Quote: Originally Posted by ltpdttcdft View Post
The firewall is spreading.
Authoritarians everywhere are envious of China's success.
Europe doing the same thing under the guise of "copyright."
this

fight the authoritarians anywhere you find them, even if they point in the direction you favor. centralization of command and control is not unique to one ideology.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 05:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 10)
U.S. invented the Internet. Clinton made it public. Now, all governments are afraid of it; political power draining. Now, 25+ years later you have the Cloud Act.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLOUD_Act
Make of it as you like
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 05:44 PM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 78 (Unique: 65)
Many tech companies are no longer based or headquartered in the U.S. which would seem to bypass the CLOUD legislation entirely.

Also I thought Al Gore created the tubes that make the internets go?

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in