[Forbes] SpaceX Launches First Starlink Satellites In Space Internet Battle - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Forbes] SpaceX Launches First Starlink Satellites In Space Internet Battle

post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:01 PM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 182 (Unique: 121)
Quote: Originally Posted by TheN00bBuilder View Post
This is the problem SpaceX is trying to solve, but I think it will just contribute to it, honestly. The satellites use Ku and V-band, V-band to talk between each other and Ku to link down to earth. HughesNet uses Ku band as well, and V band is very unacceptable to rain fade, aka signals being "soaked up" by clouds, rain, snow, etc. I think this is gonna be a bad thing.
These satellites do not need to worry about clouds or rain between them.

I do not see how this could be a bad thing. HugesNet is not very similar, those satellites are in a geostationary orbit, Starlink's are 342 miles away instead of 22000 or 1.55% of the distance. Are you worried about interference with HughesNet or something?

Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
I don't think the point of this is to replace latency sensitive, high-bandwidth communications. For everything else, this will be fantastic.
Why are people talking about latency being a problem? Assuming they are not congested these low flying satellites should have lower average latency than a fiber connection. As mentioned in the OP, light travels faster in a vacuum and these can use nearly line of site to get from point A to point B, unlike the web of fiber we use on the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:41 AM
mfw

Rep: 374 (Unique: 197)
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Why are people talking about latency being a problem? Assuming they are not congested these low flying satellites should have lower average latency than a fiber connection. As mentioned in the OP, light travels faster in a vacuum and these can use nearly line of site to get from point A to point B, unlike the web of fiber we use on the ground.
I might be completely wrong, but it seems to me that it'd have higher latency, due to distance and hypothetical interference, for connections that are close enough by ground fiber. It probably gets the signal faster if we're talking, say, Europe to Australia.

What I really mean is that I don't trust this network to give me a lower, stabler ping in european PUBG servers.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:46 AM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 182 (Unique: 121)
What I really mean is that I don't trust this network to give me a lower, stabler ping in european PUBG servers.
It really could though. 550 km is not very far, only 2ms. It is half the height of even satellite phones. The phased array antennas they use are also pretty amazing, these are not yesterday's satellites. Interference does not cause latency, it reduces bandwidth or if bad enough will cause packet drop.

With a cluster like this you go up 550 km (~2 ms) and then bounce interference free to a satellite above a ground station near the server, or directly to that ground station if it is within range of the satellite. In glass signals go 31% as fast so that 550 km only takes as long as 170 km of fiber. The number of devices is also a lot less, that should help lower pings more than the speed of the signals for a lot of journeys, maybe even your PUBG server.

The fiber web is still a key piece of infrastructure, and I still want a fiber connection at home, but these might be able to offer a very competitive ping. Especially in larger regions, my servers are often thousands of kilometers away where this could offer a real advantage. It probably does not reduce the cost/bit for those who have reasonable costs/bit... but I have a datacap on a 1Gbps wired connection while basically next to Google's headquarters so the internet market in the US might be a better startup market for Starlink.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:00 AM
mfw

It really could though. 550 km is not very far, only 2ms. It is half the height of even satellite phones. The phased array antennas they use are also pretty amazing, these are not yesterday's satellites. Interference does not cause latency, it reduces bandwidth or if bad enough will cause packet drop.

With a cluster like this you go up 550 km (~2 ms) and then bounce interference free to a satellite above a ground station near the server, or directly to that ground station if it is within range of the satellite. In glass signals go 31% as fast so that 550 km only takes as long as 170 km of fiber. The number of devices is also a lot less, that should help lower pings more than the speed of the signals for a lot of journeys, maybe even your PUBG server.

The fiber web is still a key piece of infrastructure, and I still want a fiber connection at home, but these might be able to offer a very competitive ping. Especially in larger regions, my servers are often thousands of kilometers away where this could offer a real advantage. It probably does not reduce the cost/bit for those who have reasonable costs/bit... but I have a datacap on a 1Gbps wired connection while basically next to Google's headquarters so the internet market in the US might be a better startup market for Starlink.
Hey, if this ends up viably replacing fiber connections for a wide array of applications, I'll welcome it!

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
▲ hide details ▲
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:00 AM
Meep

Rep: 297 (Unique: 219)
I actually saw these passing overhead last night, conditions weren't great, but it was still pretty interesting to see multiple satellites moving together.

Still pretty jealous of the people lucky enough to see them pass over when they were still grouped together tho.
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 25 (Unique: 23)
I might be completely wrong, but it seems to me that it'd have higher latency, due to distance and hypothetical interference, for connections that are close enough by ground fiber. It probably gets the signal faster if we're talking, say, Europe to Australia.

Light travels 47 times faster in a vacuum vs fiber optic cables. The latency benefits would be very real. Interference for high powered lasers is a non issue for this kind of thing. These lasers are not visible and don't stop for clouds.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:49 PM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 778 (Unique: 446)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Light travels 47 times faster in a vacuum vs fiber optic cables. The latency benefits would be very real. Interference for high powered lasers is a non issue for this kind of thing. These lasers are not visible and don't stop for clouds.

good thing people have google

How-fast-does-light-travel-through-a-fibre-optic-cable
We can make a 1st-order approximation by assuming the following:
Spoiler!

Since L=3 m and t=14.1⋅10−9 s, then the "linear" photon speed in the fibre optic cable is vγ,fo=2.13⋅108 m/s, a reduction of about 30%.

What is precisely the speed of light in fiber optics?
Quote:
2/3 the velocity of light as glass has a refractive index of 1.5
Researchers create fiber network that operates at 99.7% speed of light, smashes speed and latency records
March 25, 2013
Quote:
Researchers at the University of Southampton in England have produced optical fibers that can transfer data at 99.7% of the universe’s speed limit: The speed of light. The researchers have used these new optical fibers to transfer data at 73.7 terabits per second — roughly 10 terabytes per second, and some 1,000 times faster than today’s state-of-the-art 40-gigabit fiber optic links, and at much lower latency.

The speed of light in a vacuum is 299,792,458 meters per second, or 186,282 miles per second. In any other medium, though, it’s generally a lot slower. In normal optical fibers (silica glass), light travels a full 31% slower.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:57 PM
mfw

Exactly. So, hypothetically speaking, this will only beat fiber in latency if a connection is established at a long enough distance.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
▲ hide details ▲
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:41 PM
Otherworlder

Rep: 216 (Unique: 124)
just take note that the distance the signal needs to travel between satellites gets longer the higher above the surface they get.

e.g. from one side of earth to the other, thats 550KM from ground A to satellite A ➞ 21,743KM from satellite A to satellite B ➞ 550KM satellite B to ground B.
so you're looking at a couple of thousand kilometers more than doing a "straight" point-to-point fiber link on the ground surface.

edit: on the other hand, i'd be more interested if this could flatten the latency on a global scale, considering that a "straight" point-to-point fiber links aren't really possible on the ground surface.

These satellites do not need to worry about clouds or rain between them.

I do not see how this could be a bad thing. HugesNet is not very similar, those satellites are in a geostationary orbit, Starlink's are 342 miles away instead of 22000 or 1.55% of the distance. Are you worried about interference with HughesNet or something?
satellite-to-satellite connection would not be a problem, i think he meant ground-to-satellite communications rain fade.

e.g. your house to the satellite, if theres cloud cover above your house then its gonna suffer from rain fade.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.

Last edited by epic1337; 05-29-2019 at 07:22 PM.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 25 (Unique: 23)
Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post

good thing people have google

How-fast-does-light-travel-through-a-fibre-optic-cable
We can make a 1st-order approximation by assuming the following:
Spoiler!

Since L=3 m and t=14.1⋅10−9 s, then the "linear" photon speed in the fibre optic cable is vγ,fo=2.13⋅108 m/s, a reduction of about 30%.

What is precisely the speed of light in fiber optics?

Researchers create fiber network that operates at 99.7% speed of light, smashes speed and latency records
March 25, 2013

So sorry, I misheard the video in the OP. Light only travels 47% faster in space vs fiber. I misheard it as 47 times faster. MY BAD.

Exactly. So, hypothetically speaking, this will only beat fiber in latency if a connection is established at a long enough distance.
Ground to satellite communication is very good, be it via ground based lasers or otherwise there is really no meaningful atmospheric issues to interfere with communication. Keep in mind the atmosphere is only like 30 miles high, and only thick for maybe half that, so it's not a long distance to send signals through. Assuming idea satellite operation, I think this will basically bring international/overseas latency down quite a bit, probably close to normal gaming standards, but probably won't impact continental communication for quite a while. Once it's fully operational you would probably have to be pretty close to a server to beat satellite communication latency.

Just want to add, I did a little more reading up on fiber speeds. Apparently there are some research projects that put fiber at 97% the speed of light. There is also some variation in the claims about how fast fiber is vs a vacuum. Some claim 50% slower in fiber, some claim only 30% slower.

But here is the real question that I have not found an answer to yet:

Even if light travels at 100% speed in fiber, it still has to travel quite a bit further. Not only because fiber cables would be obviously longer than a direct line of sight link but also because the light has to bounce around in the glass.

So my next questions would be; how much further does light really have to travel to send a signal in fiber, and how will this really impact latency.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Last edited by ryan92084; 05-30-2019 at 05:00 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in