[ZDNet] Apple's Tim Cook: Silicon Valley has created privacy-violating 'chaos factory' - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[ZDNet] Apple's Tim Cook: Silicon Valley has created privacy-violating 'chaos factory'

post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 26)
Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
no, the idiocy is not mine but his and yours.

then good for you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:04 AM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 778 (Unique: 446)
Quote: Originally Posted by christoph View Post
then good for you
thanks but unfortunately thats not good for you or others.

maybe go to the post just before your first reply, esp the principles in the citation which supports most everything i said:
Quote:
According to the Katz Court, if a person seeks to keep information private, even in a publically accessible area, then that information may be constitutionally protected. Smith distinguished the Katz ruling by highlighting the difference between monitoring which captures the content of communications versus monitoring that does not capture content.
Quote:
United States v. Miller explicitly found that "the mere ability of a third-party intermediary to access the contents of a communication cannot be sufficient to extinguish a reasonable expectation of privacy."
Quote:
informational data gathered in some types of electronic surveillance methods violates a reasonable expectation of privacy and constitutes a search under the Fourth Amendment, regardless of the voluntary exposure.
and most of all:
Quote:
the legislation still reinforces the notion that privacy does not necessarily require secrecy.
emphasis mine

maybe then you can then reply with an informed opinion instead of a cute reactionary one liner.

good luck with that, i'm pulling for you; we're all in this together.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 26)
thanks but unfortunately thats not good for you or others.

maybe go to the post just before your first reply, esp the principles in the citation which supports most everything i said:

and most of all:

emphasis mine

maybe then you can then reply with an informed opinion instead of a cute reactionary one liner.

good luck with that, i'm pulling for you; we're all in this together.

oh boy have you noticed that no one is paying attention to you?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:02 AM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 182 (Unique: 121)
even back then it was wise to use an SSL to ftp from another server, not that had anything to do with someone finding out what i was doing but for the kiddie h4ck3rZ that would sit in a irc channel and thought is was cool fun to ping flood someone.
I thought the reason to use SSL was so someone couldn't read your plain text login, log into your FTP, and download all your "private" data?

Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
Your statement is just plain false considering hardware in the past did concern about privacy, software was concerned about privacy.
What could possibly lead you to believe that hardware in the past had a concern about privacy?! Hardware in the past had no consideration of privacy at all. All email was in plain text so anyone in the middle could read it and packets were sent to everyone so you needed to drop everything that wasn't meant for you (or just log everything instead, if you wanted to). The Internet's hardware and software layers were designed without a concern for privacy at all. What software features are you thinking of when you say past software was concerned about privacy? I cannot think of any privacy features in early Internet software.

I was living in the dorms the first year they got Internet (a wonderful 10Mb LAN) and I remember people snooping on each other all the time. You could watch everything on the network with a simple packet logger, it was NOT private. Any low level tech at your ISP could have done the same. Some people thought it was private but it was not.

The "privacy" of the past was simple obscurity but if anyone actually wanted to know something that was on the network it was even easier then. The difference today is that there is a lot more data on the network and there are companies that want the data and spend a lot of effort collecting and correlating it, not that the infrastructure itself is less private in some way.

Last edited by Asmodian; 06-21-2019 at 11:09 AM.
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:15 PM
Head Dwarf

Rep: 86 (Unique: 56)

Couldn't resist.

...playin' the lead roll in a dwerg tossing contest.

post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:23 PM
professional curmudgeon

Quote: Originally Posted by christoph View Post
oh boy have you noticed that no one is paying attention to you?
just because no one else is directly responding doesn't mean no one is paying attention.
assume much? well you answered that.

have fun with your willful ignorance.
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I thought the reason to use SSL was so someone couldn't read your plain text login, log into your FTP, and download all your "private" data?
. . .
because there are nefarious agents committing acts to invade your privacy doesn't mean there is no fundamental privacy or the expectation of privacy. taking steps to ensure that doesn't necessitate that it doesn't exist; its being prudent. and to be perfectly honest it was of limiting access to the arrrg matey treasure chest.
this isn't concrete thinking that applies in mathematics, where A plus B will always equal C. this is thinking w/the other side for abstract concepts that is necessary for concepts like principals and philosophy.

to start; private does not mean secret - which looks like the common misconception. two people can have a private conversation in public; just because people see them talking doesn't mean the content isn't private.

that principle has been written into legislation and upheld in courts. to say that privacy doesn't exist but know google gets sued for invading your privacy by scanning emails doesn't consider how there would be no cause of action for something that doesn't exist.
Quote: Originally Posted by iamjanco View Post

Couldn't resist.
i missed your post at first.

thanks for the memories, though i never used AOL. the dozens of discs i would get in the (snail) mail was always used as beverage coasters. i could never subscribe to using a single gui for all my online use.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by looniam; 06-21-2019 at 04:06 PM.
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:51 PM
Hydro Therapist

Rep: 22 (Unique: 20)
I guess its much easier if you just have no expectations of privacy or you simply just don't care. I'll care when it beings to physically or financially impact me.

CPU: i7-8700k @ 5 GHz
GPU: GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Extreme @ 2,114mhz
RAM: Trident Z RGB 32GB Ddr4-3000
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z370
Storage: Intel Optane 900p
Cooling: Dual EK Coolstream 560mmm x 45mm, Dual D5 Pumps
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:04 PM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 182 (Unique: 121)
because there are nefarious agents committing acts to invade your privacy doesn't mean there is no fundamental privacy or the expectation of privacy. taking steps to ensure that doesn't necessitate that it doesn't exist; its being prudent. and to be perfectly honest it was of limiting access to the arrrg matey treasure chest.
I am confused what you are trying to say. What has changed from the past to the present in this regard?
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:36 PM
professional curmudgeon

Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I am confused what you are trying to say. What has changed from the past to the present in this regard?
i admit when i typed that i knew it was rather awkward. but to answer in short:

human nature?

myspace then facebook, which started in a dormitory, where people wanted to draw attention to themselves. then some smart cookies (pun intended) figured how to make money with the information people would so easily give up. then instead of needing self disclosure, ways such as tracking cookies, started getting used to dispense with the need for self disclosure.

come to think of it; much of what has transpired in dorm rooms had started (not to sound all al gore) and shaped the "all things internet."

E:
i'm not posting the trip down memory lane were the first "internet"- mostly irc and newsgroup along with sites like the church of the dead cow which had a a lot of college students that were very counter couture.

oh, yeah and hail Bob!

loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by looniam; 06-22-2019 at 09:44 PM.
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 10:02 PM
Head Dwarf

Rep: 86 (Unique: 56)
i admit when i typed that i knew it was rather awkward. but to answer in short:

human nature?

myspace then facebook, which started in a dormitory, where people wanted to draw attention to themselves. then some smart cookies (pun intended) figured how to make money with the information people would so easily give up. then instead of needing self disclosure, ways such as tracking cookies, started getting used to dispense with the need for self disclosure.

come to think of it; much of what has transpired in dorm rooms had started (not to sound all al gore) and shaped the "all things internet."

E:
i'm not posting the trip down memory lane were the first "internet"- mostly irc and newsgroup along with sites like the church of the dead cow which had a a lot of college students that were very counter couture.

oh, yeah and hail Bob!
Now you've got me reminiscing

...playin' the lead roll in a dwerg tossing contest.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in