[ZDNet] Apple's Tim Cook: Silicon Valley has created privacy-violating 'chaos factory' - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[ZDNet] Apple's Tim Cook: Silicon Valley has created privacy-violating 'chaos factory'

post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 890 (Unique: 501)
[ZDNet] Apple's Tim Cook: Silicon Valley has created privacy-violating 'chaos factory'

Quote:
In a speech to Stanford university graduates, Cook said the recent impact of the technology industry had not been "neat or straightforward", with the negative impact on privacy particularly bad.
Quote:
"If we accept as normal and unavoidable that everything in our lives can be aggregated, sold, or even leaked in the event of a hack, then we lose so much more than data," he said. "We lose the freedom to be human."
Quote:
"In a world without digital privacy, even if you have done nothing wrong other than think differently, you begin to censor yourself. Not entirely at first. Just a little, bit by bit... The chilling effect of digital surveillance is profound, and it touches everything."
Quote:
"What a small, unimaginative world we would end up with. Not entirely at first. Just a little, bit by bit. Ironically, it's the kind of environment that would have stopped Silicon Valley before it had even gotten started," he said.

Source.

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:39 AM
RTX ON FPS OFF

Rep: 29 (Unique: 26)
It's the wild west of data privacy out there, and almost nobody has your back. People don't understand it (because we have literally changed the face of human connectivity within a single generation... and there is no slowing down) so they don't even know what questions to ask to end up at the conclusion that they are being constantly monitored, tracked, quartered, and sold. If you don't know how something works, and there is nothing to directly point to as 'the problem' with these systems, then it is nearly impossible to get a group of laymen to agree on a direction for the solution. Experts will tell you directly, unless of course they are hired by those same corporations feeding off of us, that data privacy and protections are quite honestly as big an issue as any other national security threat. Telco's and big business have paid congressmen and senators to tell you and vote otherwise.

KRAKEN
(13 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA
RAM
Kingston HyperX Predator RGB
Hard Drive
ADATA XPG SX8200
Power Supply
EVGA SUPERNOVA G2
Cooling
EK Velocity Nickel-Plexi, EK Vector RTX Nickel-Plexi, EK EX360, Koolance 360mm, Enermax Neochanger
Case
Thermaltake A500
Operating System
W10 Premium
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair LUX
Mouse
Logitech G502 Spectrum
Audio
Audiotechnica ATH-900X, SBX G5, MODMIC
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:49 AM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Rep: 371 (Unique: 184)
I'm not sure why anyone has ever considered anything on the internet private. Ever.

In order for me to buy something on Amazon, it isn't even just about Amazon tracking which pages I look at, which pages I linger on, which links I follow, or which reviews I read. It's not even just about selling that data to Google so the ads for what I just looked at follow me elsewhere. It's much more fundamental than that - that the physical layers between me and Amazon also have to be able to read, understand, and broadcast that process, in order to make it possible for Product A's Amazon page to make it to my browser.

In between me and Amazon is not just my ISP, in my locality, but numerous other companies with physical equipment that processes my requests for information and links that I click. How could it be controlled? How could it be private? Sure, you could encrypt the content of the packets, but that doesn't change the ability to track that I requested information from Amazon and that Amazon sent some back.

The internet is fundamentally not a private environment, even when encrypted. It never has been. We're pining for days when people simply worse at using our data, not for days when they didn't have it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:03 AM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 776 (Unique: 446)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post
I'm not sure why anyone has ever considered anything on the internet private. Ever.

In order for me to buy something on Amazon, it isn't even just about Amazon tracking which pages I look at, which pages I linger on, which links I follow, or which reviews I read. It's not even just about selling that data to Google so the ads for what I just looked at follow me elsewhere. It's much more fundamental than that - that the physical layers between me and Amazon also have to be able to read, understand, and broadcast that process, in order to make it possible for Product A's Amazon page to make it to my browser.

In between me and Amazon is not just my ISP, in my locality, but numerous other companies with physical equipment that processes my requests for information and links that I click. How could it be controlled? How could it be private? Sure, you could encrypt the content of the packets, but that doesn't change the ability to track that I requested information from Amazon and that Amazon sent some back.

The internet is fundamentally not a private environment, even when encrypted. It never has been. We're pining for days when people simply worse at using our data, not for days when they didn't have it.
you are wrong. esp before 2004 w/FB.

first isp i had was a unix shell account, remember winsock on WFW?
i use to dial up the local library and use thier menu WAIP(?) to the yahoo page and boom, lynx was my first browser. ya know there was a time when there were no cookies either.

mind blowing i know. but your statement is false.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:06 AM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

None of that addresses what I described in my post.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:08 AM
professional curmudgeon

"never has been."

i bolded that, in case you missed it. your post described the commercialization of the internet but gave a false narrative.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:33 AM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Yes, and you responded by talking about things like your old web browser and lack of cookies, and completely ignored the part where I talked repeatedly about physical layer hardware.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:22 PM
professional curmudgeon

Quote: Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post
Yes, and you responded by talking about things like your old web browser and lack of cookies, and completely ignored the part where I talked repeatedly about physical layer hardware.
and winsock which is a "layer" as you put it. looks like i'm not the one missing things. pointing vulnerabilities does not mean there is a lack of privacy. even back then it was wise to use an SSL to ftp from another server, not that had anything to do with someone finding out what i was doing but for the kiddie h4ck3rZ that would sit in a irc channel and thought is was cool fun to ping flood someone.

to say vulnerabilities have always existed would be correct, but privacy?

NO.

kids might get upset about old folks talking about the "old days". ok, fair enough. but don't try to bullcrap me on how it was.

let me guess; an appeal to authority accusation or some other nonsense incoming, right?

loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by looniam; 06-19-2019 at 12:26 PM.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:00 PM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

You're misunderstanding. No amount of software on your PC will ever affect the physical layer of the telecom network.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:05 PM
professional curmudgeon

that doesn't address the points in my post.

being dismissive works both ways.

loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in