[techdirt]Court Will Decide If AT&T Is Liable For Cryptocurrency Theft Caused By Shoddy Security - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[techdirt]Court Will Decide If AT&T Is Liable For Cryptocurrency Theft Caused By Shoddy Security

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:24 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 333 (Unique: 238)
I read the PDF a little and well if they gave his account away then legally... who knows... what damages they will have to pay for, on top of that all these crypto lords should stop demanding compensations in $ and instead want it in their crypto. It's like saying they stole my $100 and I want back 100 kg of gold! Only shows what they really are after and what most current crypto is used for, for profiting and converting to regular more stable and established usable currencies. Crypto is a good idea but it got majorly misused exploited and ruined so far one fraud after another, one useless crypto to mine after another so that early adopters/creators of it profit, hype it up and then tank it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:33 AM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 74 (Unique: 62)
Quote: Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post
Thanks for the link. I filed during the open window last year though. Am waiting eagerly for some coins to come back my way now that they are worth 50x what they were when they were stolen.

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:55 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 62 (Unique: 48)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
I read the PDF a little and well if they gave his account away then legally... who knows... what damages they will have to pay for, on top of that all these crypto lords should stop demanding compensations in $ and instead want it in their crypto. It's like saying they stole my $100 and I want back 100 kg of gold! Only shows what they really are after and what most current crypto is used for, for profiting and converting to regular more stable and established usable currencies. Crypto is a good idea but it got majorly misused exploited and ruined so far one fraud after another, one useless crypto to mine after another so that early adopters/creators of it profit, hype it up and then tank it.
Hi,
Typical pyramid scheme.

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-9940x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Audio
Built in realtek with Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2 for os/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 04:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 538 (Unique: 305)
so like a standard business these days

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 05:42 AM
Panzerjäger Tiger Ausf. B

Rep: 47 (Unique: 29)
How is it possible that this wasnt thrown out the windows as soon as the judge read "crypto currency". Its not even a currency, just like monopoly money.... Its the worlds biggest legalized piramid game lol.

Dark Repulser
(21 items)
CPU
Intel I5 4670K
Motherboard
MSI Z87-G55 (MS-7821)
GPU
Sapphire R9 290X
RAM
2xCORSAIR 8GB Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz CL9 CML8GX3M1A1600C9
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 850 Pro
Power Supply
XFX Pro 650W Modular Edition
Cooling
2x Laing DDC-Pumpe 12V DDC-1Plus with aquacover dual ddc top
Cooling
Aquacomputer aquaero 6 XT
Cooling
2x alphacool nexxxos xt45 360
Cooling
Koolance VID-AR290X Water Block
Cooling
Aquacomputer cuplex kryos PRO
Cooling
Phobya reservoir
Case
Fractal Design Define S
Operating System
Windows 7 HP
Operating System
Kubuntu
Monitor
LG IPS277L
Monitor
LG W2486L
Monitor
LG 27MU67-B
Keyboard
SpeedLink DarkSky black
Mouse
Logitech M705
Audio
Integrated devices
▲ hide details ▲
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 05:56 AM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 74 (Unique: 62)
It's a loss of a person's possession regardless of what that item happens to be. It could have been a steam account that was allowed to be stolen, or a seat for Solidworks even.

And besides, crypto is now regulated and taxed by the US government anyway. They are sure to make money here somehow.

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 11:09 AM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 116 (Unique: 101)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
Yikes. I've used 2FA to access my bank accounts. It's scary to think someone could steal my phone number right out from under me then use it to access my bank accounts.

Does this scam work as follows: someone pretends to be the target victim (as to name and phone number) calls the cellular service provider and states that their existing phone is dead and that they have a new phone and want the phone number ported over to that different phone?

When my old dumb phone actually died, I remember there was a separate verification (because I had forgotten my password) they wanted before they would port my number over to the new phone (because they couldn't text me to verify I was who I was). They wanted the last date my account was charged for my cellular service. So if someone doesn't have your password or phone or a billing statement how could they pull this off? And wouldn't someone notice almost instantly that their phone was no longer active on the cellular network?
Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post
It gets better than that actually. The SIM/GSM system is so rotten partly due to the fact that too many hands are in the cookie jar. Big telecommunications companies have their systems setup so that even low level overseas customers service agent have access to the company SIM databases and have authorization to "SIM swap".

Before the largest darknet market dream market was shut down a couple months ago you could literally go find people selling access to these said systems. So some dude at AT&T will sell you a sim swap of your targeted victim if you pay him X in crypto. If you know where to look you don't even need to ***** foot around with customer service agents from the telcos to try and trick them into swapping the sim over.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by xJumper; 08-03-2019 at 11:23 AM.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:48 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 333 (Unique: 238)
Quote: Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
It gets better than that actually. The SIM/GSM system is so rotten partly due to the fact that too many hands are in the cookie jar. Big telecommunications companies have their systems setup so that even low level overseas customers service agent have access to the company SIM databases and have authorization to "SIM swap".

Before the largest darknet market dream market was shut down a couple months ago you could literally go find people selling access to these said systems. So some dude at AT&T will sell you a sim swap of your targeted victim if you pay him X in crypto. If you know where to look you don't even need to ***** foot around with customer service agents from the telcos to try and trick them into swapping the sim over.
Just pay them on the web in crypto so you can steal moar crypto from a victim.

There is definitely a huge difference in how banks handle accounts and how telco does it.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:14 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 116 (Unique: 101)

There is definitely a huge difference in how banks handle accounts and how telco does it.
Except when you secure your bank account with 2FA with a SIM from your telco... Lol. But yea no, telcos are weaksauce in regards to how they handle social engineering attacks, wayyyy too lenient.

Just pay them on the web in crypto so you can steal moar crypto from a victim.
Biggest problem from all these rackets and everybody in the crypto game. Using crypto to get more crypto means you get left with just more crypto. Turning crypto into real cash is the problem... Anyone who's made it big in the crypto game knows this. All the millions stolen from MT. GOX, where the mastermind cashing out?

Aside from some early outliers who lucked out very few people are able to turn their e-wealth into real wealth. Even if you had ten bitcoins you mined yourself from back in the day, try and cash that out somewhere today, on any exchange really and see how hard it is to try and cash out any sizeable amount of crypto to "real" hard currency. There's no rules in this game, some of these "exchanges" are running with basically no reserve and it's almost a ponzi in that regard as nobody could really cash out a large sum of money regard of what bitcoin is "worth".

Moving crypto wealth in any sizable amount to real money is next to impossible without having the IRS/interpool up your rear. Guys that make money selling "stuff" often are taking like 50% hits on their wealth when they convert large sums of crypto to local cash.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in