[G3D] Facebook database holding 419 million user entries was posted online - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[G3D] Facebook database holding 419 million user entries was posted online

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter
Performance is the bible

Rep: 437 (Unique: 301)
[G3D] Facebook database holding 419 million user entries was posted online

Source
Quote:
A database with telephone numbers of possibly hundreds of millions of Facebook users was spotted online, totally unprotected.
The database contained 419 million entries, according to Facebook, half of them are duplicates, meaning that it would be the data of several hundred million users. The database showed unique IDs of Facebook users, linked to their telephone numbers and in some cases also with name, gender and country. Facebook IDs are unique and can be traced back to accounts. According to a report from TechCrunch, the dataset had included 133 million records from U.S.-based Facebook users, 18 million from the U.K., and over 50 million from Vietnam.
The database is now offline.
Seriously...

Also some more information:
Source
Quote:
Sanyam Jain, a security researcher and member of the GDI Foundation, found the database and contacted TechCrunch after he was unable to find the owner. After a review of the data, neither could we. But after we contacted the web host, the database was pulled offline.
Facebook spokesperson Jay Nancarrow said the data had been scraped before Facebook cut off access to user phone numbers.

“This data set is old and appears to have information obtained before we made changes last year to remove people’s ability to find others using their phone numbers,” the spokesperson said. “The data set has been taken down and we have seen no evidence that Facebook accounts were compromised.”
Even if the data is "old", most people don't change their phone numbers (or gender or country etc) constantly, so even a year old database is still for the most part, up to date.

Last edited by Defoler; 09-05-2019 at 01:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 79 (Unique: 66)
"Swiss cheese" security with all these holes and breaches lol. About the only thing more vulnerable than the recent processor issues is your social media info.

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:21 AM
Skating Enthusiast

Rep: 146 (Unique: 117)
Jeeze... it's so laughable how incompetent they are with consumer's data.

Kasuf
(9 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard
MSI Tomahawk B450
GPU
ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair HX750i
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W
Monitor
LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:01 AM
boof

"Yeah, so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard just ask. I have over 4000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS. People just submitted it. I don't know why, they trust me. Dumb idiots" - Mark Zuckerburg, some time in 2004-2005.

Still not sure why people are using Facebook. They've had several serious privacy breaches over the last 3 years.

Quote:Originally Posted by TheBadBull https://www.overclock.net/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a level 5 vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

It's also why I eat my bacon in the dark ????????????????
Computer of Theseus
(16 items)
RIP Athlon '01-'11
(10 items)
PC MK1
(6 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R5 1600
Motherboard
Asus PRIME B350 PLUS
GPU
EVGA RTX 2070 8GB
RAM
16GB Corsair Vengence (2x8GB)
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 650 G2
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C White
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32LD450
Monitor
Dell
Monitor
Valve Index Headset
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Midnight MX Blue
Mouse
Steelseries Rival 310
Other
Valve Index Base Station
Other
Logitech G29
CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair V
GPU
nVidia GTX 550Ti
RAM
12GB DDR3
Hard Drive
500GB WD Blue
Cooling
Coolermaster Evo
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro
Operating System
Windows 8 Pro
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
AMD Athlon 1300 1.3Ghz
Motherboard
Asrock
GPU
nVidia 7200GS
RAM
1GB
Hard Drive
80GB IDE
Operating System
Windows XP
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 10:27 AM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 119 (Unique: 103)
Lol coming soon to a darknet .onion site near you. It'll help bolster up the "fullz" being sold there already and make it easier to steal a crap load more of peoples identities or do CC fraud.

Don't understand how people keep using social media when literally all the big players have been owned, are still being owned and will keep getting pwned by hackers whether through skill or the incompetence of said companies.

Most people probably have been compromised already at one point or another and the only reason that they haven't been "owned" yet is because of the sheer number of other people who are also compromised taking the hits instead of them. It's like the hackers are shooting into a giant crowd of people, the crowd of people being all the individuals who have been compromised. It's so easy, they can't miss but you are still generally safe because there's just so many people. Yea I know that's a horrible analogy but it's the best I could come up with.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by xJumper; 09-05-2019 at 10:36 AM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 02:29 PM
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱

Rep: 158 (Unique: 123)
Quote: Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
Lol coming soon to a darknet .onion site near you. It'll help bolster up the "fullz" being sold there already and make it easier to steal a crap load more of peoples identities or do CC fraud.

Don't understand how people keep using social media when literally all the big players have been owned, are still being owned and will keep getting pwned by hackers whether through skill or the incompetence of said companies.

Most people probably have been compromised already at one point or another and the only reason that they haven't been "owned" yet is because of the sheer number of other people who are also compromised taking the hits instead of them. It's like the hackers are shooting into a giant crowd of people, the crowd of people being all the individuals who have been compromised. It's so easy, they can't miss but you are still generally safe because there's just so many people. Yea I know that's a horrible analogy but it's the best I could come up with.

Human meatshield might be the term you're looking for.

nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴ
█▀█ █▄█ ▀█▀ ▀█▀

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
Performance is the bible

Rep: 437 (Unique: 301)
Quote: Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
And what is OCN if not social media? Even if it more specific, it is also, part of it.
So unless this is your farewell message, you should be more realistic.

OCN is owned by verticalscope.
VS operates a pretty big amount of social sites.
VS is owned by Torstar, which is a pretty big media company.

So can you answer your own question? If you are so against big players owning everything, why are you here?

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 43)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
And what is OCN if not social media? Even if it more specific, it is also, part of it.
So unless this is your farewell message, you should be more realistic.

OCN is owned by verticalscope.
VS operates a pretty big amount of social sites.
VS is owned by Torstar, which is a pretty big media company.

So can you answer your own question? If you are so against big players owning everything, why are you here?
It's pretty easy to sign up for an OCN account using false information. Not so much with facebook. OCN itself isn't built upon a platform that provides direct access to anyone who will pay for that data (this has been scaled back with facebook, but the platform was still built up around this premise).

Now I'm not saying OCN doesn't sell user data.. I have no idea. But to compare OCN to the likes of Facebook, etc is like comparing a pinto to a maserati. Sure they both have 4 weeks and an engine but outside the most general comparisons they're entirely different vehicles.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 552 (Unique: 313)
Quote: Originally Posted by steelbom View Post
Jeeze... it's so laughable how incompetent they are with consumer's data.
uncaring, zero repercussion, and likely data they've already sold off, and is available somewhere.

wait wait, what am I saying? IT WAS A YEAR OUT OF DATE?! TOTALLY WHACK, non-issue here, nothing to see, move along

this has happened so many times (even if you just count in-news breaches) that I'd be willing to bet 99.99% of those 400mil already have more up to date versions of their sensitive info for sale, at a site just around the corner.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited by skupples; 09-05-2019 at 03:17 PM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:32 PM
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱

Rep: 158 (Unique: 123)
Quote: Originally Posted by Aemonn View Post
It's pretty easy to sign up for an OCN account using false information. Not so much with facebook. OCN itself isn't built upon a platform that provides direct access to anyone who will pay for that data (this has been scaled back with facebook, but the platform was still built up around this premise).

Now I'm not saying OCN doesn't sell user data.. I have no idea. But to compare OCN to the likes of Facebook, etc is like comparing a pinto to a maserati. Sure they both have 4 weeks and an engine but outside the most general comparisons they're entirely different vehicles.
this forum is a cesspool of exactly that though

nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ ٴٴ
█▀█ █▄█ ▀█▀ ▀█▀

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in