[Phys.org]'Poor man's qubit' can solve quantum problems without going quantum - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Phys.org]'Poor man's qubit' can solve quantum problems without going quantum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
new to OCN?

Rep: 1542 (Unique: 926)
[Phys.org]'Poor man's qubit' can solve quantum problems without going quantum

Quote:
University in Japan have built the first hardware to demonstrate how the fundamental units of what would be a probabilistic computer—called p-bits—are capable of performing a calculation that quantum computers would usually be called upon to perform.

The study, published in Nature on Wednesday (Sept. 18), introduces a device that serves as a basis for building probabilistic computers to more efficiently solve problems in areas such as drug research, encryption and cybersecurity, financial services, data analysis and supply chain logistics.

Today's computers store and use information in the form of zeroes and ones called bits. Quantum computers use qubits that can be both zero and one at the same time. In 2017, a Purdue research group led by Supriyo Datta, the university's Thomas Duncan Distinguished Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, proposed the idea of a probabilistic computer using p-bits that can be either zero or one at any given time and fluctuate rapidly between the two.
Link

related

Last edited by PontiacGTX; 09-18-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 02:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 79 (Unique: 66)
Quote:
Tohoku University researchers William Borders, Shusuke Fukami and Hideo Ohno altered an MRAM device, making it intentionally unstable to better facilitate the ability of p-bits to fluctuate. Purdue researchers combined this device with a transistor to build a three-terminal unit whose fluctuations could be controlled. Eight such p-bit units were interconnected to build a probabilistic computer.
Neat. Sounds like they are shrinking down computing abilities and reducing the number of components needed for I/O operations. Might be a useful development, we'll see how things play out.

Also my 1337'th post.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 03:43 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 31 (Unique: 27)
It's my understanding that any computer can do quantum calculation, just not as efficiently.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 05:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 433 (Unique: 289)
I've made tons of these, undervolting's a Btch.

READ this thread before starting your first build!!!
ALWAYS power up a Mobo Before installing it! Consider Less than helpful posts as Free Bumps.
devil-smiley-019.gif¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇthumbsupsmiley.pngsozo.gifRetro Rulezsozo.gif

If you can't afford to lose it don't mod or OC it.
At least read the ENTIRE OP before commenting.

Semper Fi

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 158 (Unique: 114)
I got a little concerned when I saw integer factorization in there, and if they can put a 1024 pbits on silicon then I'm going to get a lot more concerned for anything not using ECDSA or newer encryption.

Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
Spoiler!
Congrats, but... what?

They took MRAM and destabilized it to make it toggle with high frequency, this really doesn't have anything to do with I/O, and they didn't do any shrinking.

Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Spoiler!
Yea, but Turing complete isn't exactly a high bar, nor all that useful when its solvable only with infinite time.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 79 (Unique: 66)
Quote:
"On a chip, this circuit would take up the same area as a transistor, but perform a function that would have taken thousands of transistors to perform.
Sounds like a reduction in area to me, performing a function using far fewer components.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
new to OCN?

Quote: Originally Posted by Avonosac View Post
I got a little concerned when I saw integer factorization in there, and if they can put a 1024 pbits on silicon then I'm going to get a lot more concerned for anything not using ECDSA or newer encryption.

Congrats, but... what?

They took MRAM and destabilized it to make it toggle with high frequency, this really doesn't have anything to do with I/O, and they didn't do any shrinking.

Yea, but Turing complete isn't exactly a high bar, nor all that useful when its solvable only with infinite time.
I wonder compared to a 64bit binary processor does it still have 2**64 or does it have 3**64?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 158 (Unique: 114)
Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
Spoiler!
If that is what they did, they might have reduced something. So far all they have done is taken something else which is MUCH bigger to prove out the concept, and made a relative comparison to the potential size savings of this approach once optimized.

Quote: Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post
Spoiler!
Are you talking about address space? This doesn't increase the address space of binary, nor make it ternary. If this truly becomes feasible, what this does is effectively simulate the non-deterministic benefits of superposition allowing the bits to effectively be 0 AND 1 in integer arithmetic calculations. *hand wavey explanation*

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
new to OCN?

If that is what they did, they might have reduced something. So far all they have done is taken something else which is MUCH bigger to prove out the concept, and made a relative comparison to the potential size savings of this approach once optimized.

Are you talking about address space? This doesn't increase the address space of binary, nor make it ternary. If this truly becomes feasible, what this does is effectively simulate the non-deterministic benefits of superposition allowing the bits to effectively be 0 AND 1 in integer arithmetic calculations. *hand wavey explanation*
I was wondering if it made it ternary, but that answers my doubt
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 03:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 152 (Unique: 89)

Congrats, but... what?

Quantum will never be a threat to binary computers in the same way that babies can't assemble turbojet engines. Right now all quantum computers have to have their inputs come from highly precise analog signal generators and unless you have terrabit range datasets to run through them they're not worth the time. Each new problem requires a new processor design and you can't make just one because the ONLY error correction you have is to build 3 of them and make sure they all do the problem and give the same answer. You also have to listen to that answer with high speed very precise analog systems.

And the input and output are generated by run-of-the-mill scientific binary systems anyway. Right now the only thing Qputers can do is floating point, they cannot integer faster than someone with two buckets and some pebbles. The chilling requirement for higher loads and all the problems with harmonics and even ambient noise changing the answer (precisely why we DIDN'T make analog computers in the beginning) make their use niche no matter what.

Sure, at some point they may be able to calculate FTL... but they're not gonna be useful to figure out my 7 letter password encryption. Qputers are so-overhyped that both Keller and Koduri will look at you like you said Nicola Tesla was an Alien if you even try to get them to talk about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in