[DT]Is this the new gold standard in television technology? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[DT]Is this the new gold standard in television technology?

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 11)
[DT]Is this the new gold standard in television technology?

This sounds like a possible solution until micro led is finally ready. Hisense is working on some really interesting tech using dual panels to get blacks as deep as OLED while maintaining the brightness of LCDs

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...-oled-tvs/?amp

drunken.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:17 AM
mfw

Rep: 392 (Unique: 204)
Chinese company using technology developed by the japanese and south korean - more news at 11.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:33 AM
Smug, Jaded, Enervated.

Rep: 101 (Unique: 66)
Sounds like Panasonic's dual layer IPS panel tech, with Samsung's Quantum Dot thrown in the mix, bout time someone made a commercial product utilizing a combination of the two....too bad SED tech will probably never see the light of day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:41 AM
Indentified! On the Way!!

Rep: 153 (Unique: 114)
Quote: Originally Posted by rbarrett96 View Post
This sounds like a possible solution until micro led is finally ready. Hisense is working on some really interesting tech using dual panels to get blacks as deep as OLED while maintaining the brightness of LCDs

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...-oled-tvs/?amp

I saw this last night. I'm really fascinated by this approach. I wonder if the cost of using two panels can still keep prices below OLED. If it works as they say, this would pretty cool. I'm afraid of burn-in. While I have no experience with OLED, I'm worried to buy one with all the sports, news and console gaming I watch/do on my TVs. Hisense's approach seems like a best of all worlds type thing.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:42 AM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Rep: 371 (Unique: 184)
What are they doing, Count?

TWO LCDs! Ah ah ah!

Meh.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote: Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post
What are they doing, Count?

TWO LCDs! Ah ah ah!

Meh.
You're the visual expert here; why is it meh? Honestly asking. This is way outside my ken.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:08 AM
Frog Blast The Vent Core

Rep: 371 (Unique: 184)
Quote: Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post
You're the visual expert here; why is it meh? Honestly asking. This is way outside my ken.
Running double-stacked LCD panels doesn't make the LCD panels better, it just doubles their effects, both positive and negative. You'll need a stupidly hot backlight to get the same light levels, and you still will have poor black levels. They'll be better than one panel, sure, but they still won't compete with OLED.

This isn't some brilliant new idea, hence the meh. It's a way to sound like you're doing something cool, improve one set of performance metrics while trading away another set, but without having to do any actual research.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:16 AM
mfw

Rep: 392 (Unique: 204)
Quote: Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post
Unless I'm terribly mistaken, this will end up performing just like any other current high-end LCD display, but with the added benefit of much better contrast.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Mini
Mouse
Glorious Odin
Mousepad
Asus Scabbard
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
Unless I'm terribly mistaken, this will end up performing just like any other current high-end LCD display, but with the added benefit of much better contrast.
Which is a key metric for a good display right? Black levels, almost more than anything, are what makes an image look good. I'm thinking back to my Panasonic Plasmas. Best picture ever! (at the time)
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 58 (Unique: 53)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post
Running double-stacked LCD panels doesn't make the LCD panels better, it just doubles their effects, both positive and negative. You'll need a stupidly hot backlight to get the same light levels, and you still will have poor black levels. They'll be better than one panel, sure, but they still won't compete with OLED.

This isn't some brilliant new idea, hence the meh. It's a way to sound like you're doing something cool, improve one set of performance metrics while trading away another set, but without having to do any actual research.
The black level is the big selling point of this tech. Stacking two 1000:1 contrast ratio panels gets you 1,000,000:1, which is going to produce blacks on par with OLED. The second panel does reduce the transmissivity though, which like you say is going to require a brighter, hotter, more power hungry backlight to get the same light levels on the viewing side. Still, black level is OLED's number one advantage, so if this can match it it could prove to be a real competitor to OLED.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in