Overclock.net banner

seeking 4k

7K views 77 replies 13 participants last post by  HITTI 
#1 · (Edited)
seeking 4K resolution content. seeking 4K content is more of a hassle than catching crab at the Bering Sea.

I bought a 4K TV and have an X1 Xfinity box come to find out it's not 4K compatible so I cancel Netflix on my account on my xfinity account to get 4K content while my 4K gear from Xfinity, so i can watch externally of x1 find out Netflix has one 4K video...

been on the phone between Comcast and Netflix Comcast states that I need to use my Comcast login ID to connect to my Netflix account externally of Xfinity system and Netflix doesn't recognize my email and it's just a big circle.

4K is stupid.

and also now I need to upgrade my 1080p Chromecast to a 4K Chromecast ultra. which was suspected but double the price of 1080p it don't make sense as much content out there isn't 4K.

#2 ·
4K isn't stupid lol. Comcast is stupid for giving you the run-around.

Such as:

I have a 4K TV (TCL 6 Series)
I have a NetFlix account.
I sign into NetFlix on my 4K TV.
I can now watch 4K content with zero issues.

What's the difference? I don't have any sort of cable TV. Only roll with IPTV that has THOUSANDS of channels for literally $5 a month, plus stand-alone accounts for NetFlix, Disney+, and Prime Video. All other content I can stream directly from "websites". Betcha my yearly cost is your monthly :).
Maybe it's time to cut the cords with big cable companies?

#3 ·
4K isn't stupid lol. Comcast is stupid for giving you the run-around.

Such as:

I have a 4K TV (TCL 6 Series)
I have a NetFlix account.
I sign into NetFlix on my 4K TV.
I can now watch 4K content with zero issues.

What's the difference? I don't have any sort of cable TV. Only roll with IPTV that has THOUSANDS of channels for literally $5 a month, plus stand-alone accounts for NetFlix, Disney+, and Prime Video. All other content I can stream directly from "websites". Betcha my yearly cost is your monthly /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif.
Maybe it's time to cut the cords with big cable companies?
you don't have any sort of cable TV so you don't know.

#4 ·
Netflix does a free 30 day trail. I'm assuming your tv has built in smart functions meaning you can use netflix through the tv and watch 4k content. Might not be what you were hoping for but it's there.

#6 ·
yeah I tried to 30-day trial and and they have like one 4K movie.

#9 ·
It was a lot worse in 2014. Thank goodness I had sli 780tis or I would have had nearly no content. I do think upscaled 1080p to 4k looks noticeably better than native 1080p on a decent set.
Imagine how bad the 8k content is :p
If I were you I would find out what you want to watch in 4k and pursue that first and not worry too much about everything else that isn't 4k or doesn't want to be 4k on your tv. You can get to that later. I played Witcher3 in 4k for 330 hrs when it came out and that was enough for me for like a year.

#12 ·
Most of Netflix's new originals are 4K HDR. If you're looking for your old favorites to be upscaled to 4K, that's not really their bag. Prime also has some good 4K programing... The Expanse, The Boys, Hunters, etc. But to each their own.

#17 ·
4K content is still abysmal in 2020 as most of the world is broadcasting in 720p+. I'm on youtube mostly and interestingly i have found a handful of content creators upload in that format. The latest digital movies/shows also release in 4k.

#18 ·
my problem is with YouTube on my S10 plus "4k" normal uploads are like you say 720. or plays in the highest which is 720 but if you search 4K yeah. my 4K Comcast equipment's going to be here today then once I get refunded on TU7000 I'm going to order the 4K Chromecast can't wait.

#19 ·
by the way my new 4K TV picture was flickering last night so I didn't want to update the tv firmware just in case they came out with a way to root after web OS 3.5, but I did update it because of the flickering and I haven't seen it since.

#20 ·
If you're a gamer the new consoles will mostly run 4k or close to 4k. Rumored $400 for the digital version of the PS5.

#21 ·
so now seeking 4k through cable:
new equipment came, XRE-10000 error code, an hour and half on hold with Comcast to i guess register devices even after i called for 40min to reboot the entire system cuz comcast said there is an error with system, duhhhh.

#22 ·
and if i paid tech to comeout, they have this xre1000 code fixed in 5min by doing a tech call into Comcast but i have to wait an hour and half.

#23 ·
I had a lot of issues with my new TVs and xfinity/comcast/whatever. Took a couple of software updates from my TV and from comcast with their newer 4K box. My 4K samsung looked great but my LG C9 OLEDs took a bit to get good.

#27 ·
I don't have a fancy new 4k t.v. (or any for that matter), but the new ones have software that auto upscales everything to 4k, correct?

#28 ·
There are, some do a much better job than others though. Samsung does this brilliantly, LG not so much.

But when the content is natively in that format the LG OLED is brilliant. Gaming is much better on the LG.

But the upscaling on my samsung is phenomenal.

• Rep+
Reactions: keikei
#30 ·
If u buy a 4k TV for gaming make sure you look up the response time specs first. Some are getting pretty good even on a budget.

#31 ·
I don't think that Amazon prime is hosting in 4K it says HD not UHD not 4K when I play the video.

Attachments

#34 ·
It looks like you're streaming from a phone?

If you are, you won't get 4K from Amazon Prime. You either need to stream it from a desktop/laptop plugged into the TV or from the TV app. I have no issues getting 4K from Amazon Prime from content that's actually in 4K.

#32 ·
Are you using your TV's native app? I think that is the only way to get 4k Prime to work.

#43 ·
that is stupid because this phone records in 4K. I don't understand how it could record a 4K video but can't play the real true 4K resolution.

#44 ·
my resolution is wqhd+ 3040x1440.

1080p is the most popular configuration used today, but 1440p and 4K are slowly acquiring market share, but often require the best graphics cards. ... 2560x1440 — QHD/WQHD (Quad HD) / 1440p. 3840x2160 — UHD (Ultra HD) / 4K 2160p. 7680×4320 — FUHD (Full Ultra HD) / 8K 4320p.Jul 25, 2020

#45 ·
Why are you concerned with your phone's display resolution? You're all over the place.

Is your TV a smart TV? Plug it into the internet and install the streaming service apps of your choice and that's it. Search for 4k and enjoy.

Your phone probably plays 4k content and your phone scales the content to fit your phone's screen but the service doesn't know this, as far as Prime knows it is sending a 4k stream your way. If you are trying to view 4K streams on a PC using Windows, your hardware has to be compatible with the DRM (PlayReady 3.0 I believe is what Netflix uses) otherwise it will only play at 1080p max.

Just like @UltraMega said, if you think 4k is a PITA, just wait until you go down that HDR rabbit hole. I'm expecting the next post being... 'hey guys, why can't I do 4k60+HDR+4:4:4 over HDMI??? This is garbage'...

Long story short, if you are seeking 4K content your best option (IMO) is to either pick up an nvidia shield TV or use your TV's native OS (Like webOS, Android, etc) to use streaming services. I guess you could also include your comcast box too if it has the streaming apps as well.

If you want to watch 4k cable, that is a different kettle of fish and shouldn't pose you any trouble once your cable provider gets their act together. Their hardware should just play any of their 4k channels without any extra setup (assuming you have a 4k TV). If you were expecting every channel to have a native 4K feed, I am sorry to inform you that probably won't be the case. Though to be completely honest, I haven't had cable in a a couple of years and only got it because they were offering a bundle on the gigabit service and my wife wanted to watch Big Brother (guh...) live for a change.

Normally I am an advocate for cutting the cable subscription, let me get this straight, I pay the Cable company thousands of dollars of my money to get to watch my shows peppered with advertisements? Where do I sign up??? But I digress.

#46 ·
#47 ·
What does that have to do with what I said? No where did I say 4k over HDMI was not possible?

#49 ·
I'm expecting the next post being... 'hey guys, why can't I do 4k60+HDR+4:4:4 over HDMI???

#48 ·
I guess Sony is the only one that has a 4K resolution screen.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium

#50 ·
Or are you just showing me the streaming device you are using or looking at getting for your 4k streaming needs? If that's the case, then yeah that will fit your needs 100%. What it won't do is 4k60+HDR+4:4:4chroma over HDMI due to bandwidth limitations of HDMI 2.0b. That's why everyone is excited for HDMI 2.1, bandwidth greatly increased.48 Gbit/s vs 18Gbit/s on HDMI 2.0b.

#52 · (Edited)
yeah I think my monitor's HDMI 2.1 but it's old it's in the signature. DisplayPort 2.1 my bad.

#53 · (Edited)
Are you using your monitor or TV to view your 4k stuff? I was under the assumption you were working on a 4k TV. In which case, my apologies. Though, I think the number of video cards with an actual HDMI 2.1 port are very scarce. RTX 20xx cards I believe are the only ones that have it so far (I could be wrong on that one). And Chromecast is I also believe only using 2.0 HDMI. Anyways, we are bickering over a non, issue. Or at best this is a self fulfilled prophecy lol.

#54 ·
Are you using your monitor or TV to view your 4k stuff? I was under the assumption you were working on a 4k TV.
on the discussion of HDMI 2.1 I was thinking my monitor was HDMI 2.1 but display port 2.1 to support 144 hz.

#56 ·
so 1440p is higher than 1080p and if I run a Chromecast 1080p they'll run at 1080p but if I buy a Chromecast 4K does that mean if I stream from my phone through the Chromecast onto my TV would the Chromecast dumb it down to 1440p and be worth getting the Chromecast 4K device? over the Chromecast 1080p that I have now the device.

#57 ·
Ahh, OK, back on topic then... That Chromecast should fit your 4K streaming needs, though I should let someone else who actually owns a Chromecast Ultra make that judgement. I only have a older non-ultra and I will be honest, not a fan. I like having option to direct play my media files and can't do that afaik with the Chromecast. Even if I could, there is no Ethernet port, so good luck playing back 50+gb BluRay rips. lol.

#58 ·
Ahh, OK, back on topic then... That Chromecast should fit your 4K streaming needs, though I will have to let someone else who actually owns a Chromecast Ultra make that judgement. I only have a older non-ultra and I will be honest, not a fan. I like having option to direct play my media files and can't do that afaik with the Chromecast. Even if I could, there is no Ethernet port, so good luck playing back 50+gb BluRay rips. lol.
That's what I miss about XBMC that I soft modded my original Xbox back in the day. I know what you mean by direct play your media files maybe go into FTP from a device into computer to play your streaming needs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.