HTPC with DAC, Receiver quality? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

HTPC with DAC, Receiver quality?

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Does the quality of the receiver going to matter if I use a DAC with HTPC while playing music and blu-ray through it? I'm not to well versed in home audio but since I'm using a DAC I going to be by passing the digital processing of the receiver, correct?

Would it be worth it to get a Marantz NR1601 over an ONKYO TX-NR609 in this setup or should I not even use a DAC?

The speakers will most likely be the polk monitor series from newegg and going with the NuForce uDAC-2.

If you have any other recommendations on different receivers I should look at, I'm all ears.

Thanks for you help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 04:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 59 (Unique: 50)
I wouldnt bother with a DAC unless your going to be using a power amp instead of a receiver to power the speakers. Theres no real benifit of doing it that way unless you need massive indepent amps to push a 150+Watts RMS per channel. Try and find a nice high current receiver such as the one you mentioned or a Harman/Kardon AVR 2600 or better. I dunno if you need 5.1+ surround sound, but those are great receivers.

Just my 2 cents smile.gif

FrozenQ 400mm -> [email protected] -> RX480 -> EK VRM Block -> EK Dominator GT Block -> EK Supreme HF Rev4 #6 -> EX120 -> EK-FC580 DCII -> EK-FC580 DCII ->

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 11:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 186 (Unique: 162)
If you use a DAC, it will only be good for 2 channel audio signals. If you have a movie file that has a DTS or any surround sound audio track, you will hear ungodly static from your DAC because it cannot process the signal.

Essentially, don't go with a DAC unless you only want to listen to 2 channel music. I assume your HTPC will be for movies, so you must use a receiver that will be able to decode the DTS, Neo6, Dolby Digital, or any of the other surround sound audio encoding.

Some receivers will have an Analog In where you can use the DAC for its intended function of processing 2 channel audio. But, you would want to set this up as a secondary audio option for when you are listening to 2 channel music. In my opinion, the nuForce uDAC 2 is a good DAC, but it's not worth the trouble to hook it all up and buy extra interconnect cables to bypass the receiver's DAC. I would keep the uDAC as a headphone amp and DAC at your PC and go strictly with the receiver.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouf0010;14583507 
i wouldnt bother with a dac unless your going to be using a power amp instead of a receiver to power the speakers. Theres no real benifit of doing it that way unless you need massive indepent amps to push a 150+watts rms per channel. Try and find a nice high current receiver such as the one you mentioned or a harman/kardon avr 2600 or better. I dunno if you need 5.1+ surround sound, but those are great receivers.

Just my 2 cents smile.gif

+1

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 206 (Unique: 163)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 338LapuaAI;14583391 

Would it be worth it to get a Marantz NR1601 over an ONKYO TX-NR609 in this setup or should I not even use a DAC?

Marantz NR1601 is a receiver, just like the Onkyo...
Quote:
I use a DAC with HTPC while playing music and blu-ray through it

A enthusiast product like a "DAC" doesn't have the processing to handle HD audio.
Quote:
Does the quality of the receiver going to matter if I use a DAC

Your receiver probably has better digital-to-analog converter circuitry than your "DAC." Those little enthusiast products are 99% profit and the electronics they use is entry-level at best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in