What should I do? Double or single receiver('s)? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

What should I do? Double or single receiver('s)?

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 65 (Unique: 61)
So, I have 2 different setups in mind. I currently have a Harman Kardon HK 3490 stereo receiver. I have two seupts in mind;

1)
1x AVR 460 @ 7 x 60 W (for surround audio and function)
1x HK3490 @ 2 x 150 W (for the floorstanding speakers power)
2 x KEF Q55 @ 2 x 120 W
2 x HKS 4BQ @ 10 - 120 W
1x ? middle speaker @ ? W

2)
1x AVR 365 @ 7 x 110 W (for all speakers)
2x KEF Q55 @ 2 x 120 W
2 x HKS 4BQ @ 10 - 120 W
1x ? middle speaker @ ? W

So, I want to use either a secondary receiver, the AVR 460, to power the surround speakers, and the existing HK 3490 to power the 2 front floorstanding speakers.

Or, use one receiver, the AVR 365 to power the surround speakers will more power, but the 2 front speaker with a little less power.

So, what do you guys think would work best? In terms of sound quality. Please don't reply if you think more Wattage is better, because it's not!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 04:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 374 (Unique: 291)
From a sound "quality" standpoint, you're asking for setup trouble utilizing two different AVRs. I haven't looked at the actual processing options, and output signals for the AVRs, but using "standard" knowledge... I don't think you will have the option to utilize just the AMP section of the second AVR. I think even if you have a "direct" setting on the 2nd AVR, you are still going to have problems with its processor to some extent. How will you get a decoded signal to it, analogue RCA?

just a few things to consider with two AVRs

From a single source, how do you handle the crossovers for the different channels? Will your primary AVR send a processed signal out of the RCA line outs? Processed meaning... HPF applied?, LFE removed? Speaker distance delay?... I assume you are not considering sending the same signal to both AVRs, and then only utilizing the channels you want out of each... letting the AVRs do their own processing? If you change something, do you really want to do it twice (assuming you can)?

Ultimately, there would be a way to make either work, but a single AVR will provide a simpler solution/setup.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 206 (Unique: 163)
Surround speakers don't typically require much power. You are better off running one receiver although if you insist on using your 3490s, get a receiver with pre-outs and the 3490s can power the front channels that way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

Surround speakers don't typically require much power. You are better off running one receiver although if you insist on using your 3490s, get a receiver with pre-outs and the 3490s can power the front channels that way.

The ports are not the issue. The AVR 460 has a Pre-In, and the HK 3490 has a Pre-Out. So connectivity isn't a problem.

And that's exactly what the AVR 460 will be doing, powering the surrounding speakers. The HK 3490 will be powering the front floorstanding speakers.

And since I will be connecting all of the video sources to the AVR 460, it will probably tell the HK 3490 what to do with the front speakers. And the AVR 460 will be controlling the surround speakers.

I actually like the idea of that, haha...

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 01:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 621 (Unique: 408)
Sounds to me like you are half way to a good idea. If you want to use a lot of separate dedicated amplifiers to power your speakers, you should be looking hard and serious for a PRE-AMP [NOT a receiver], that can handle all of your input requirements. What you are looking for is a proper pre-amp with all of the various decoding capabilities and inputs you need, but no internal amplification. Then you should plan on purchasing various amplifiers (not receivers) to increase the gain to speaker levels. As long are you are buying a pile of amps, you might look into the option of bi-amping your speakers. Use 2-channel pro-amps (crown xls series as an example) with built in x-overs to power your speakers. A proper 7.1 system with bi-amping would require 8 separate stereo amps to accomplish this. (a larger unit, bridged, would power the sub, or, if the pre-amp supports it, as a 7.2 system, a larger stereo amp would power a set of stereo subs)

Eric

A CPU performance comparison chart.

"Kind of a ring thing, comes with a dialer, you hit the symbols, it spins around and lights come on, it kind of flushes sideways" -O'Neill
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for your input Eric. But I don't need a proper super profesional whatever amplifier setup. All I want is a full Harman/Kardon set that looks great and sounds good. No more. For me, it's just audio that has sounds good. I don't have trained ears to hear specific stuff. All I want is a decent setup that I can crank up a little for use with TV, PC and PS3. Nothing special. But thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in