What are some great car speakers? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

What are some great car speakers?

post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 10)
I have an 09 Kia Rio, a dual 12 inch renegade subwoofer with a 1000 watt renegade amp Thinking about replacing the car amp/bass amp/subwoofers too and just doing a whole new system. Is that gonna be overkill or would I be able to get much louder/more clear sound? (I plan to get the trunk dynamated to stop some distortion as well.). and this head unit: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/In-Dash_CD_n_DVD_Receivers/1-DIN_CD_Receiver/KDC-248U . I figured with such a small car it will be very LOUD but I need to still have clarity. The audio shop told me the car already has a good built in amp for the speakers so I wanted to know if there's any great speakers I should get and maybe a very very good amplifier to replace the one that came with it.

The speaker dimensions should be:
Front door: 6-1/2"
Rear: 6-1/2"
Rear deck: 6-1/2"

Thinking about replacing the car amp/bass amp/subwoofers too and just doing a whole new system. Is that gonna be overkill or would I be able to get much louder/more clear sound? (I plan to get the trunk dynamated to stop some distortion as well.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmasherBasher go_quote.gif
Clean format/install every 45 days. I always manage to screw something up and corrupt my OS in that time frame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 01:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 186 (Unique: 146)
Caraudioclassifieds.org is an even better place for this question thumb.gif

Well, first, don't take anything the audio shop says as valid, they're not the smartest bunch (or truthful).

As for speakers, umm, I haven't looked in too long to know what's current :/

If you respond to one of my posts in a very busy thread, I probably won't see it, so feel free to message me.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 01:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 553 (Unique: 389)
I tend to use MTX Audio gear, but really any good brand will do. Go to a audio store and test some out, stock car speakers tend to be pretty low end. To bad head units on newer cars tens to look pretty bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 01:47 AM
Senior Moderators

I have a feeling you overpaid quite a bit on those subs and amp honestly. List price on Amazon for just one of those subs is $119....they're only worth maybe $30 each. No clue on the amp, but I'll bet its only 1000w peak, and not RMS...meaning I have no clue how much power its actually putting out.

I'd rethink your entire setup honestly, and maybe think about selling your subs and amp and put something of higher quality in there.

For speakers, I like the Alpine Type S off a head unit, or the Type R's off an amp. There's tons of great speakers out there, but those are my personal favorite without custom building them.

Considering you're only running 300w RMS subwoofers, you don't need an amplifier for clarity. There's no way you'll drown out the head unit with those.

CPU
Intel Core i7 2600k @ 3.4GHz
Motherboard
MSI B75MA-E33
GPU
MSI RX550 4GB
RAM
8GB GSkill Sniper DDR3-1600 @ 667, 9-9-9-24
Hard Drive
Intel 330 128GB SSD
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100 256GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB HDD
Power Supply
Antec VP450
Cooling
No fans except GPU and PSU
Case
Dell Beige Box (mATX)
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Hanns G 23"
Keyboard
Redragon 10keyless
Mouse
Logitech USB Optical Mouse
Mousepad
Onn Mousepad
Audio
Diamond Edison 2.0
CPU
Intel Xeon E3-1245 @ 3.4GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
GPU
Nvidia GeForce GT310
RAM
4x8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra 128GB SSD
Hard Drive
320GB Seagate 7200.10
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB x8 RAID6
Power Supply
Rosewill Green 630w
Cooling
CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ Evo
Case
NZXT Source 210
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64 / Hyper-V
Other
Adaptec 5805 SAS RAID Controller
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 01:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 98 (Unique: 75)
Infinity are the best highs/mids i have ever heard in my life still to this day.
For subs yes alpine or polk/ or kicker solobarik<-- spelling prollly wrong the aquare ones.
Amps memphis/directed as long as its a class d monoblock for the subs.
And crutchfield has a very good selection/prices imo

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 01:49 AM
Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar0987 View Post

Infinity are the best highs/mids i have ever heard in my life still to this day.

The Infinity Reference line are also quite good, but they do lack in the lower bass (with a sub it doesn't really matter).

CPU
Motherboard
MSI B75MA-E33
GPU
MSI RX550 4GB
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel 330 128GB SSD
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100 256GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB HDD
Power Supply
Antec VP450
Cooling
Case
Dell Beige Box (mATX)
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Hanns G 23"
Keyboard
Redragon 10keyless
Mouse
Mousepad
Onn Mousepad
Audio
Diamond Edison 2.0
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
GPU
Nvidia GeForce GT310
RAM
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra 128GB SSD
Hard Drive
320GB Seagate 7200.10
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB x8 RAID6
Power Supply
Rosewill Green 630w
Cooling
Case
NZXT Source 210
Operating System
Other
▲ hide details ▲

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 02:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 66 (Unique: 63)
Pioneerisloud recommended me some Alpine type R components, I bought them and they are great smile.gif
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 02:08 AM
Senior Moderators

If you want some of the best 6.5" speakers you can buy. wink.gif Be prepared to get a 250w RMS per channel 2 channel amplifier to power them though (more than your subs will take). And also be prepared to do some custom fiberglass work to make them fit...as those speakers are 6.5" in diameter...and 7" deep. eek.gif

If you want some good speakers to run off a head unit:

Pioneer
Alpine Type S
Rockford lower end lines (not the power series)
Clarion
Hifonics
Kenwood
MB Quart
Infinity Reference

Good speakers off a real amplifier (not some cheap amp like you have now):

Alpine Type R
Rockford Power series (model has a T in it)
Hifonics Brutus (not my first choice, but not bad)
RE XXX
MB Quart
Infinity Reference

My personal favorites would be the Alpine, Rockfords, the RE XXX of course, MB Quart, or Infinity's. Make sure you get component speakers for up front, coaxials in the rear. And you only need to amplify the front speakers. Don't forget sound dampening material in your doors either, if they're door speakers. wink.gif

Get your speakers and a good 2 channel amp to power them (I can make some recommendations based off your speaker choice). From there, worry about your subwoofer setup. You could build up a single 8" subwoofer that'll absolutely BLOW AWAY your generic 12's you've got now.

Oh, and go check out sonicelectronix if you're in the States. wink.gif They're the newegg of car audio. Woofersetc is also good.

CPU
Motherboard
MSI B75MA-E33
GPU
MSI RX550 4GB
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel 330 128GB SSD
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100 256GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB HDD
Power Supply
Antec VP450
Cooling
Case
Dell Beige Box (mATX)
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Hanns G 23"
Keyboard
Redragon 10keyless
Mouse
Mousepad
Onn Mousepad
Audio
Diamond Edison 2.0
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
GPU
Nvidia GeForce GT310
RAM
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra 128GB SSD
Hard Drive
320GB Seagate 7200.10
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB x8 RAID6
Power Supply
Rosewill Green 630w
Cooling
Case
NZXT Source 210
Operating System
Other
▲ hide details ▲

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 02:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 186 (Unique: 146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

If you want some of the best 6.5" speakers you can buy. wink.gif Be prepared to get a 250w RMS per channel 2 channel amplifier to power them though (more than your subs will take). And also be prepared to do some custom fiberglass work to make them fit...as those speakers are 6.5" in diameter...and 7" deep. eek.gif
If you want some good speakers to run off a head unit:
Pioneer
Alpine Type S
Rockford lower end lines (not the power series)
Clarion
Hifonics
Kenwood
MB Quart
Infinity Reference
Good speakers off a real amplifier (not some cheap amp like you have now):
Alpine Type R
Rockford Power series (model has a T in it)
Hifonics Brutus (not my first choice, but not bad)
RE XXX
MB Quart
Infinity Reference
My personal favorites would be the Alpine, Rockfords, the RE XXX of course, MB Quart, or Infinity's. Make sure you get component speakers for up front, coaxials in the rear. And you only need to amplify the front speakers. Don't forget sound dampening material in your doors either, if they're door speakers. wink.gif
Get your speakers and a good 2 channel amp to power them (I can make some recommendations based off your speaker choice). From there, worry about your subwoofer setup. You could build up a single 8" subwoofer that'll absolutely BLOW AWAY your generic 12's you've got now.
Oh, and go check out sonicelectronix if you're in the States. wink.gif They're the newegg of car audio. Woofersetc is also good.

This man knows what he's talking about thumb.gif

Pioneerisloud, aren't you on CACO? I feel like I've seen your name before (and laughed tongue.gif )

If you respond to one of my posts in a very busy thread, I probably won't see it, so feel free to message me.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 621 (Unique: 408)
I would argue that he [pioneerisloud] is not as knowledgeable as many here and himself think he is. He's good at talking about overpriced boutique speakers and big watts without much regard as to how much is necessary or even useful. I wonder how much money has been wasted on account of his advice.

Accurate sound reproduction in a car IS NOT POSSIBLE PERIOD. There are so many things about a car environment that make accuracy impossible that there is absolutely no excuse to throw an unnecessary pile of money at it unless you are in some sort of SPL competition where there is money or booty to be earned. Beyond that you are kidding yourself if you think these expensive boutique speakers are going to do anything to lower distortion or improve linearity over many alternatives at a fraction of the price. The vast majority of boutique car speakers are far from flat to begin with, and will require equalization to taste or to suit the vehicle environment and speaker placement anyways. One you have to EQ a speaker, then it doesn't matter what response you buy, because you're just going to adjust it anyways. The only important factors here are that the driver be at least well enough made to have some respectable sensitivity, reasonably low non-linear distortion, and built from materials that will hold up to the rigors of temperature swings, sunlight, and moisture. Beyond that, you're being duped.

Set some practical limits. More than ~$25-35 per speaker is probably going to be pointless. A dedicated amplifier for these speakers is really dependent on how loud you want to be able to listen without distortion, most car decks will allow you to listen at appropriate levels (those that are not endangering yourself and others on the roadway by impairing your ability to hear emergency vehicles) without detectable distortion over the road noise. If you want to listen at irresponsible levels and endanger others, then you'll probably want a separate amp.

I'd suggest these: [ http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=269-184 ] <~$25 per speaker, good sensitivity, well respected brand known for good build quality and innovation. Less than half or less the price of boutique snake oil (FYI: at their normal price these would be in the over-priced snake oil category, but the buyout special changes things smile.gif ).

I don't see a problem with the renegade subs. They are exactly the kind of trash I recommend putting in a car, so that when it gets stolen or damaged in an accident you haven't lost much smile.gif Just realize, that just like most of the other cheap speakers that I would recommend for a car, the wattage ratings of the whole market down there are pretty much completely made up out of thin air. Pioneerisloud has implied that they are "peak" ratings and to be honest, I wouldn't even go so far as to give this stuff that much credit. The 12" renegade drivers are rated "300W RMS" but I can pretty well guarantee that if you drive 300W into them, you are going to smoke-n-smash coils. Don't worry about the wattage here. Chances are you're thumping along at more like 1-50W per sub, be thankful of the fact that you bought low-throw drivers with under-sized motor structures. The high Q high impedance peak configuration will keep the strain on the alternator down smile.gif

Eric

A CPU performance comparison chart.

"Kind of a ring thing, comes with a dialer, you hit the symbols, it spins around and lights come on, it kind of flushes sideways" -O'Neill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in