best lossless audio player? [windows] - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

best lossless audio player? [windows]

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Data Recovery Engineer

Rep: 1343 (Unique: 999)

I prefer MP3 320 vs flac. Takes up less space and it is nearly as good. Plus it needs to work across my media network. MP3 320 is the best format for that as anything will play it. 

Only fools do not BACKUP their DATA!

"Everyone is an expert in something. Knowledge is acquired not earned. Always be humble and wise. Never look down on others ignorant in your ream of expertise."
Hsvkinyodh
(15 items)
CPU
3770k @ 4.5 1.384v
Motherboard
Asus Z77 Sabertooth
GPU
GTX 1070 Gaming 2126/2249 w/ Hybrid cooler
RAM
TridentX 16GB 2400MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic X 760W
Cooling
H105
Case
CM 690 II Adv
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Asus MG279Q - 24" 144Hz 1080p
Keyboard
Filco Majestic II w/ Cherry Reds
Audio
AKG A701
Audio
JDS Labs Objective 2
Audio
JDS Labs ODAC
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 05:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post

I got all my music converted from FLAC to MP3 320 and currently using itunes.  
EEHRf.gif

Wyred 4 Sound mINT, Hifiman HE-6, AKG K550, KEF Q100

Zune HD, Shure SE420K

HP 2000-217NR, W4S STP-SE, W4S DAC-2, Manley Mahi Monos, SEOS24/BMS Coaxial/AE IB15 Mahogany Frame DIY Speakers
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 05:39 PM

MusicBee > Foobar2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 09:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simca View Post

Unfortunately, that's what I mean. It's not as simple as copy pasta for skinning. I've had numerous errors where the skins just didn't skin certain aspects of the player and errored endlessly. It is the most difficult media player to skin hands down. Winamp is easier, Media Monkey is easier, songbird is easier..
I personally use Media Monkey and that is a great player. SongBird I don't like because of the audio quality. It just sounds inferior as odd as that sounds.
Winamp was great and as far as audio quality goes is right next to Media Monkey. I used Winamp for the longest, but gave it up for MediaMonkey. I used the Bento theme for Winamp and now that I'm on Media monkey I use this slick black theme.
To the poster above that was talking about itunes, I think as far as functionality is concerned, itunes is great. It's simple, straight to the point etc...but it doesn't support FLAC and that shuts it down hard. Consider Songbird if you want a very similar player that does play FLAC.

I use dBpoweramp to convert Flac to Alac when I get lossless music online, and then copy and paste the files into iTunes so they can be organized automatically in my music folder from my download folder, which is super awesome and ensures all of my music is in one place. That's a pain to set-up correctly on other players. Apple lossless and flac are virtually identical, but alac is contained in a good, proven container (MP4).

"Our knowledge has made us cynical, our cleverness hard and unkind. We think too much, and feel too little..."
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 09:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 338 (Unique: 288)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danker16 View Post

FOOBAR 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segovax View Post

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkDaring View Post

THIS. bar none.

Needs moar this.

THIS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steezebe View Post

Yeah I'm gonna be hated by all prior here and say iTunes. I use Apple Lossless, which I can use on my iPod and phone, unlike FLAC. Plus Foobar can't give you airplay, cloud backup, automatic folder organizing, and playlist management which is easier than iTunes. I've spent years with foobar (yes, years and my skin was kickass), but kept on coming back to iTunes. If you want to listen to lossless music painlessly and not learn how to code or use software that was developed when iTunes still sucked, iTunes is really the best way to go. Plus iTunes 11 is quite a step forward, if you saw the apple iPhone/iPod announcement.
Of course iTunes makes the most sense for you...you own an iPod and an iPhone. It's good that you like it, because you honestly don't have a choice. You either use their proprietary file formats and their software, or you don't use their device.

Personally, I think the Apple/iTunes way of doing things is ********. Why must my device by sync'd with only one PC? I should be able to drag and drop music onto a portable music player or phone no matter where I am or who's computer I'm using. I haven't used iTunes or owned an iPod in a VERY long time, so maybe they've changed this, I don't know. Either way I have no desire to go back now that I've got a Droid I can just drag FLAC files onto.

CPU-Z Validation

On SSDs:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoblikat go_quote.gif
So what if windows loads in 10sec vs 15? So what if firefox loads in 1 sec instead of 2? Their price/GB is 2$
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo go_quote.gif
why do you have 4GB of RAM? Next time get a 512MB DIMM and create 100GB paging file. RAM price is $19 per GB!!! So what if you have to wait 15s for Firefox to load?

post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Data Recovery Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face76 View Post

EEHRf.gif

I have a massive media library (lots of music and all kinds of other stuff) that has to be shared and easily accessed across multiple platforms by multiple people and guests. To keep things simple, all my personal music (on my PC ATM) is converted from flac to MP3 320, then shared over the network. The same goes for the other media on my server. Having one single format to go across just simplifies things. 

"Everyone is an expert in something. Knowledge is acquired not earned. Always be humble and wise. Never look down on others ignorant in your ream of expertise."
Hsvkinyodh
(15 items)
CPU
3770k @ 4.5 1.384v
Motherboard
Asus Z77 Sabertooth
GPU
RAM
TridentX 16GB 2400MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic X 760W
Cooling
H105
Case
CM 690 II Adv
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Keyboard
Audio
AKG A701
Audio
JDS Labs Objective 2
Audio
JDS Labs ODAC
▲ hide details ▲

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face76 View Post

EEHRf.gif
I have a massive media library (lots of music and all kinds of other stuff) that has to be shared and easily accessed across multiple platforms by multiple people and guests. To keep things simple, all my personal music (on my PC ATM) is converted from flac to MP3 320, then shared over the network. The same goes for the other media on my server. Having one single format to go across just simplifies things. 

I do the same thing Xeb. I always use 320k CBR mp3. Can I tell a difference between that and FLAC? With the right music, absolutely I can. Is it worth 4x the disc space, when I can't afford to put even more TB in my server? Nope its not. Plus its easier to transfer to my car, I can just copy / paste it into my 32GB flash drive instead of waiting hours and hours for all those to convert, and retag them all.

CPU
Intel Core i7 2600k @ 3.4GHz
Motherboard
MSI B75MA-E33
GPU
MSI RX550 4GB
RAM
8GB GSkill Sniper DDR3-1600 @ 667, 9-9-9-24
Hard Drive
Intel 330 128GB SSD
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100 256GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB HDD
Power Supply
Antec VP450
Cooling
No fans except GPU and PSU
Case
Dell Beige Box (mATX)
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Hanns G 23"
Keyboard
Redragon 10keyless
Mouse
Logitech USB Optical Mouse
Mousepad
Onn Mousepad
Audio
Diamond Edison 2.0
CPU
Intel Xeon E3-1245 @ 3.4GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
GPU
Nvidia GeForce GT310
RAM
4x8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra 128GB SSD
Hard Drive
320GB Seagate 7200.10
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB x8 RAID6
Power Supply
Rosewill Green 630w
Cooling
CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ Evo
Case
NZXT Source 210
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64 / Hyper-V
Other
Adaptec 5805 SAS RAID Controller
▲ hide details ▲

post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 02:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 834 (Unique: 587)
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsparky32 View Post

MusicBee > Foobar2000

I'll give it a try before I comment, but I've never heard of MusicBee before.

Okay, so I downloaded it and installed it and the first problem I'm having is that it won't insert my music folder into the program lachen.gif

If a music manager can't even do that then it's use is forfeit. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it should be working, it's simply not.

As for functionality/preference options? Fantastic. I wish other media players had this level of control and customization, but as for the look of the player and it's current usefulness to me (zero) I'm not gonna stick with it.

Okay, so I realized that I was trying to insert the C drive music library which has no music in it. I needed to use my E drive..so now..it's attempting to insert my music, but the program is having a heart attack trying to do so. laugher.gif

Will re-examine the program and add details later.

All right, so I've gotten my music in the player after several minutes and it's playing well.

I had an issue with it at the beginning because apparently some of my music isn't tagged according to this program even though it's tagged fine in other players.

The skinning is absolutely easy. It already comes installed with several color variations which I find fantastic. You don't need crazy skinning most of the time and just a simple color change is more than enough for many people. Hands down this is the easiest skin for that straight out of the box.

However, if you really want to change the look of it, I'm not sure this program does that.

Resources wise, it uses about 20,000-30,000kb less than MediaMonkey which is fascinating.

It has a very simple WASAPI/ASIO/DIRECT-SOUND set up.

Built in CD-Ripping software. I think it's a good player.

I'm just not sure it's going to take over as my main player. I do like MediaMonkey..
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Data Recovery Engineer

MusicBee cannot handle my media library. Crashes on load XD

Hsvkinyodh
(15 items)
CPU
3770k @ 4.5 1.384v
Motherboard
Asus Z77 Sabertooth
GPU
RAM
TridentX 16GB 2400MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic X 760W
Cooling
H105
Case
CM 690 II Adv
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Keyboard
Audio
AKG A701
Audio
JDS Labs Objective 2
Audio
JDS Labs ODAC
▲ hide details ▲

post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 10:34 PM

Myself, and Contagion, use MusicBee for our FLAC library. Any problems with it are not with the program, but with the user.

Anyway, Xeb converts his FLAC stuff into a worse audio format so any opinions he has are null

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in