First home threater on a budget, many questions... - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

First home threater on a budget, many questions...

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 35)
I spotted the Yamaha rx-v373 is it good and reliable over time?

Do it matter if i buy it pieces by pieces or should i pile the cash and buy it one shot?

What type of cable do i need, what is a banana speaker plug and what is the advantage of having it instead of normal speaker wire.

What should i expect going from a z-2300 to this receiver with bookshelf speaker.

I choosed this one because it seems to have good audio performance for it's price, the higher end have options that i will never use like Sirius radio, 3d, ipod, network ect.

I aim for a quality 2.1 setup.

_
Never believe the hype.
Consoles aren't about hardware, they're about good games.

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 153 (Unique: 128)
I dont know that particular setup but yamaha is a decent brand. No I wouldnt buy components over time as they will superceeded.

when to come to audio visual equipment i like to see everything working together before i buy.

post-flame-small.gifNew Zealand Overclock.net Clubpost-flame-small.gif

sneaky.gifAMD 4GHz Clubsneaky.gif
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Unfortunately my budget doesn't allow to pick everything at once, i just want a modest budget system with good quality above a z-2300 since i listen to a lot of music.

_
Never believe the hype.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 08:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
Actually many will recommend to buy audio components over time and peice together the best your money can buy. Yamaha is good but I still think the absolute best bang for your dollar is Onkyo.

2.1 is a great place to start. However, How much are you looking to spend? A good subwoofer if you are looking to just buy one will cost you around $500 for a decent sub, so you may possibly want to look at maybe getting a pair of tower speakers instead to save money if you can get a good deal.

Also, there is nothing wrong in looking at some older used speakers. Many still prefer speakers that are from the 70s such as JBL 43xx models and some older Tannoys. In many cases it is cheaper to buy used and replace the cone surrounds and do a little repair work than to buy new.

So for me to really start looking around and helping you, what is your budget, and what size of speakers are you really wanting to look at?

Best Regards,
Bryan
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

P.s.

similarly priced and now you can compare specs.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR313&class=Receiver&p=i

Best Regards,
Bryan
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

About 300$ receiver, 300-400$ speakers, and for the subwoofer i don't know yet i was thinking adding it way later.
(total system cost depending on the subwoofer 800$ up to 1500$)

My space is very limited so i wanted to get some speaker mount or build a shelve above my tv and put the bookshelves speakers there.

I'll be buying local only.
futureshop, hi-fi center, stereo plus.

I still don't know if it be worth it because i listen mostly to mp3 and it's a lot of money.. I'm afraid it would be like upgrading from a pentium 4 to a i7 3770k just to browse the web.

ps: I don't plan to expand it, it's gonna be a 2.1 system.

pps: i'll be buying new because if i spend that much on a system i'm gonna keep it a long time.

_
Never believe the hype.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 08:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
Do you need video capabilities on the receiver?

How much is this http://www.stereoplus.com/fr/product/sp/audio/ensembles-stereophoniques/ensemble-stereophonique-yamaha-paradigm_667.aspx?id_page_parent=1018 ?

This is a nice big sub that might keep you under total budget. http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk4.html thumb.gif

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I think it would be better with video capability all would be plugged hdmi instead of headphone jack to rca.

Also they have a similar kit from the one you showed which is 500$ plus taxes so 575$ But it's out of my budget right now which is 300ish tax in for a receiver.

Very nice sub you suggested there, it can go very low and is cheaper than the SVS PB13. But i need to buy local only.

_
Never believe the hype.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Was thinking of buying these speaker and the Yamaha Rx-v373. Checked the speaker review they seem to be pretty good for they prices.

_
Never believe the hype.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Panther222 View Post

About 300$ receiver, 300-400$ speakers, and for the subwoofer i don't know yet i was thinking adding it way later.
(total system cost depending on the subwoofer 800$ up to 1500$)
My space is very limited so i wanted to get some speaker mount or build a shelve above my tv and put the bookshelves speakers there.
I'll be buying local only.
futureshop, hi-fi center, stereo plus.
I still don't know if it be worth it because i listen mostly to mp3 and it's a lot of money.. I'm afraid it would be like upgrading from a pentium 4 to a i7 3770k just to browse the web.
ps: I don't plan to expand it, it's gonna be a 2.1 system.
pps: i'll be buying new because if i spend that much on a system i'm gonna keep it a long time.

Honestly, buying used speakers by no means they wont last you a long time. Any speaker over time is going to need repair, especially to the cone surrounds....

But I will look for new if that is what you want. Do you prefer to buy? the DIY audio scene for speakers has some designs that are relatively cheap to build if you have the tools and will perform better than the Polks that you linked above. However, if you dont have the tools then it will cost the same if not more...so it is a coin toss.

I would stongly suggest the Internet Direct brands for speakers for higher bang for your dollar. SVSound.com, Emotiva, HSU, Axiom, and Ascend all get great reviews and are known for offering much better value.

I currently have SVS subwoofer and LCR and think they sound amazing for the money that I spent on them. I know you said you wanted to buy local but I am trying to help you get the best value.

Did you take a look at the onkyo I linked above? had almost all the features of the Yamaha with a few extra for the same amount of money.

Best Regards,
Bryan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in