Subwoofer LFE inaudible, starting to hear a little at 200hz crossover. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Subwoofer LFE inaudible, starting to hear a little at 200hz crossover.

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 35)
Got i new subwoofer plugged in the red plug that say LFE with a subwoofer cable connected to my amp subwoofer out. The only sound i get from the sub is when i set the crossover on the receiver to 200hz and it's very quiet bass almost absent.

What i tried
Speaker set to small
Phase 0 to 180
Crossover 80hz and running the mic test.
It doesn't detect the subwoofer when i play song in usb, it only detect in the test tone and even there it's quiet almost inaudible.

_
Never believe the hype.
Consoles aren't about hardware, they're about good games.

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 05:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 17)
Are you sure that you aren't sending a 2 channel signal with the "direct" or equivalent mode enabled?

If I set my Yamaha receiver to "direct", it'll bypass the sub and run the speakers full range because it turns ALL of the audio processing off, regardless of settings on the receiver.

Short of that, I'd check all of your connections, and try to hook the sub up to a different receiver to confirm that it works. The sub amp could be bad if it doesn't work on any receiver.

*Desktop: 3DMark11 P10671
*Laptop : 3DMark11 P4946
*Official NZXT Switch 810 Owner*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vanelay go_quote.gif

Little do you know, everyone who buys one of these keyboards is secretly hunted down by a eugenicist, and forced into a battle royale.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Normaly i set it on dsp normal but i tried all the mods straight, dolby pro ect and it doesn't detect the subwoofer where you see the icon on the receiver. I don't have a second amp to test the sub.

_
Never believe the hype.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Finally got some sound out of it but it is no near as loud as it should be.

It feel like 50 watts r.m.s and the subwoofer sound knob is maxed, i had to turn down my speaker level +10 to +0db and the subwoofer to +10db.

Another thing i found strange is the sub is detected but there is only one crossover available, do that mean the speaker cut out at the specified frequency and let the sub handle the rest?

Other people seemed to have two crossover in the amp, one for the sub and the speakers.

_
Never believe the hype.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 09:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 56 (Unique: 50)
what equip are you running? thanks

devil.gif BadAssClocker devil.gif
gunner2.gifgunner.gif

Quote:
BadAssClocker: no she just shat herself because i hadn't given her daily juice of electrons (nerdy way of saying i didn't power her on)

Kiwiasian:That sounds so dirty it's lovely
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yamaha Rv-373, Polk Audio Rti A3 and Polk Audio PSW125. Now instead of being in LFE i brought a Y splitter now i think it's in line level, i still put the knob at LFE at the back of the sub, it have more bass than if i put it at 60hz, it still take the receiver crossover.

_
Never believe the hype.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 10:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Okay i see the problem. There is a general misconception to what the LFE cable/ out put does. By def it mean Low frequency effect channel that movie producers throw in- in music there is no such channel. So that means this channel is NOT what you want to use as the main signal source to your sub. So now this is how i reccomend you hook up the sub. Get a single cable that goes from the sub out of the receiver to the LFE. Then take an rca cable and connect it to the audio out of the receiver, just to the left of your sub out, and connect that to the line in of the woofer. Now on the receiver make sure its set to the mode to send signal to the sub. Now regardless of what you are playing you should be able to get the full kick out of your sub, and a little bit of extra sugar with the LFE when you specifically play movies.
any more questions?

gunner2.gifgunner.gif

Quote:
BadAssClocker: no she just shat herself because i hadn't given her daily juice of electrons (nerdy way of saying i didn't power her on)

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 37 (Unique: 35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssClocker View Post

Okay i see the problem. There is a general misconception to what the LFE cable/ out put does. By def it mean Low frequency effect channel that movie producers throw in- in music there is no such channel. So that means this channel is NOT what you want to use as the main signal source to your sub. So now this is how i reccomend you hook up the sub. Get a single cable that goes from the sub out of the receiver to the LFE. Then take an rca cable and connect it to the audio out of the receiver, just to the left of your sub out, and connect that to the line in of the woofer. Now on the receiver make sure its set to the mode to send signal to the sub. Now regardless of what you are playing you should be able to get the full kick out of your sub, and a little bit of extra sugar with the LFE when you specifically play movies.
any more questions?

this setup you will have two cables going to your sub from the receiver?

I was having a similar issue with my sub last night.

I was using a 3.5mm to RCA for my sub becasue when I used Opitcal out from my soundcard to my receiver. The sub didnt sound very good when I only used the sub out to LFE in on the sub while playing music. It sound muddy and deep.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 07:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester435 View Post

this setup you will have two cables going to your sub from the receiver?

I was having a similar issue with my sub last night.

I was using a 3.5mm to RCA for my sub becasue when I used Opitcal out from my soundcard to my receiver. The sub didnt sound very good when I only used the sub out to LFE in on the sub while playing music. It sound muddy and deep.

yup try using two cables!

gunner2.gifgunner.gif

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in