[HELP/ADVISE] Audio setup for non-5.1 room. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[HELP/ADVISE] Audio setup for non-5.1 room.

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 257 (Unique: 207)

Hello Audio section of OCN!

I come to you with a question that i hope you can answer.

Currently i am looking into buying a audio setup that replaces my standard TV (Samsung UE32D5000 or something) audio. I dont have space for a 5.1 surround set so i was looking into soundbars.

I found these, but maybe you guys have better suggestions.

Onkyo LS-B50

Denon DHT-T100

Sony HT-CT260H

My budget is around 200-300 euros, which is what these are priced at.

I hope you guys can help me out!

gunner2.gif Automated TC Stats! sniper.gif  |   I'm the guy that fixes the TC stats

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 12:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 260 (Unique: 210)
Is the space really that much of an issue that you must get a soundbar?

Because you could always go for 2.1 or 2.0 speakers like Microlab Solo9C and Solo8C.

Or even more hifi like Behringer B2030A Truth and B3030A Truth.
Personally I use the bigger and more expensive B3031A Truth. The connectivity is a pain though, Microlabs for example have HDMI/optical when Behringers only have line-in.

Ppl should learn to add more info to their posts when they ask for help...
OCN Anime/Manga Club
[Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiihokatti View Post

Is the space really that much of an issue that you must get a soundbar?

Because you could always go for 2.1 or 2.0 speakers like Microlab Solo9C and Solo8C.

Or even more hifi like Behringer B2030A Truth and B3030A Truth.
Personally I use the bigger and more expensive B3031A Truth. The connectivity is a pain though, Microlabs for example have HDMI/optical when Behringers only have line-in.

Yea it is an issue. I will attach a picture of how it looks. 

So in red is how speakers would look like and i dont really want that. A soundbar could fit underneath my tv which looks pretty nice imho. Subwoofers would go to the left of that closet or underneath my couch.

I am not looking for the best sound quality, but i do want an improvement over my tv and have some decent design esthetics.

EDIT: The microlab Solo 9C look pretty nice and has HDMI which makes connecting it easier, but they are huuuge. Almost 60cm. My girlfriend doesnt really care about it, so i maybe just have to get over my slimlined soundbar idea :P

gunner2.gif Automated TC Stats! sniper.gif  |   I'm the guy that fixes the TC stats

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 06:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 260 (Unique: 210)
I bought the smaller Solo8C for my oldest brother for his HTPC setup (TV, PS3, HTPC). Stayed over for a week listening to them and I was impressed on the sound quality as it bested my old Behringer MS40.
Solo9C has HDMI, coaxial, optical and 2x analog inputs while the Solo8C is only missing the HDMI input from the full set.

Ppl should learn to add more info to their posts when they ask for help...
OCN Anime/Manga Club
[Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiihokatti View Post

I bought the smaller Solo8C for my oldest brother for his HTPC setup (TV, PS3, HTPC). Stayed over for a week listening to them and I was impressed on the sound quality as it bested my old Behringer MS40.

Ok nice, I will decide between the Solo9C and 8C, im tempted by that HDMI connectivity.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 09:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 621 (Unique: 408)
IMO the single most important factor for television and movies for home use is the sound processing options.

Unless things have changed, last I checked, most sound bars do not offer good sound processing options to deal with real world home-use scenarios (adjustable dynamic compression, room correction, etc).

The ideal "sound bar" would actually be a passive bar powered by a cost effective but feature rich HT receiver and aided by a traditional powered sub-woofer. This would give the user the sound processing features of a receiver without the clutter of large speakers for every channel.

Most "2.0" or "2.1" based sound bars or powered studio speakers are going to lack the signal processing that solves the intelligibility issues of movies and broadcast television for home users, especially those with cinematic levels of dynamic range. If you're sick of fighting the volume control to hear dialogue, between the action scenes, a pair of studio monitors won't help much (unless you just want to leave it LOUD all the time).

My recommendation would be to find a refurb or lightly used DENON AVR-1613 or similar, and use it to power a 3.1 configuration of compact speakers arranged up under the TV. The 1613 has audyssey sound processing, which includes adjustable dynamic compression options to fine tune the balance of the dynamic range to your desired listening levels.

A CPU performance comparison chart.

"Kind of a ring thing, comes with a dialer, you hit the symbols, it spins around and lights come on, it kind of flushes sideways" -O'Neill
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdocod View Post

IMO the single most important factor for television and movies for home use is the sound processing options.

Unless things have changed, last I checked, most sound bars do not offer good sound processing options to deal with real world home-use scenarios (adjustable dynamic compression, room correction, etc).

The ideal "sound bar" would actually be a passive bar powered by a cost effective but feature rich HT receiver and aided by a traditional powered sub-woofer. This would give the user the sound processing features of a receiver without the clutter of large speakers for every channel.

Most "2.0" or "2.1" based sound bars or powered studio speakers are going to lack the signal processing that solves the intelligibility issues of movies and broadcast television for home users, especially those with cinematic levels of dynamic range. If you're sick of fighting the volume control to hear dialogue, between the action scenes, a pair of studio monitors won't help much (unless you just want to leave it LOUD all the time).

My recommendation would be to find a refurb or lightly used DENON AVR-1613 or similar, and use it to power a 3.1 configuration of compact speakers arranged up under the TV. The 1613 has audyssey sound processing, which includes adjustable dynamic compression options to fine tune the balance of the dynamic range to your desired listening levels.

Thanks for your intel. I have just aquired the Solo 9C and i most say they are very big, and the sound they put out is superb! Im really happy with the results :D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in