Bought a new Home, need 5.1 system <$1500 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Bought a new Home, need 5.1 system <$1500

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 58 (Unique: 52)
Bought a new Home, need 5.1 system <$1500

Just bought a new home and I'm Looking to get a 5.1 system set up. I really don't know much about what's good, I've just used boxed theater systems in the past.

Im looking at 7.1 receivers because they can handle my outdoor speakers. There are already rear surround speakers in the ceiling.

So I need a 7.1 receiver, front speakers (floor tower or bookshelf), a center, and a powered sub. Up to $1500 but hopefully less.

Can anyone give me suggestions?

**"Official" MSI Big Bang Xpower owners club**
X58 XEON 5675
(10 items)
CPU
XEON X5675
Motherboard
MSI Big Bang x58
GPU
MSI GTX 1070
RAM
18gb
Hard Drive
samsung 950 pro, Plextor M8pey pcie
Power Supply
OCZ ZX850W
Cooling
EVGA CLC280
Case
Lian li Pc-x2000f
Operating System
win 10
Monitor
Crossover 1440p
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
well the good news is recievers are really not that bad. you can get a nice one depending on what you want. (i personally like yamaha) just have to decide what watt output and what kind of media you want it to support (dts, atmos,ect) also what is going to be connected through it (like is the hdmi going to run through it and such and how many items).
all im saying is anyone can recommend something but you need to make a list for yourself what you need, want, expect it to do theres alot more to one

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I've found good pre-owned recievers on Amazon and ebay, and that's ok with me. I'm really looking to see what speakers I should get.

X58 XEON 5675
(10 items)
CPU
XEON X5675
Motherboard
MSI Big Bang x58
GPU
MSI GTX 1070
RAM
18gb
Hard Drive
Power Supply
OCZ ZX850W
Cooling
EVGA CLC280
Case
Lian li Pc-x2000f
Operating System
win 10
Monitor
Crossover 1440p
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:19 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 740 (Unique: 540)
I'd recommend going to frys for the receiver. If you're signed up to there mailer, they usually have a denon model for about half price. Just about every week it's a different model and some weeks they have more than one. In my area, the sunday ad shows the denon x4400h for $888, regular price around $1500. That wouldn't be what I'd suggest, I'd wait for the x2400 which usually goes for around $400, regular price of $800. That would leave you with around $1k for fronts, center and a sub. Speakers comes down to what sound you like. THe sub really depends on room size and budget.

I was going to suggest something similar to this, but then realized you didn't need all 5.1 speakers. LIke them, there are several other online brands that sell good speakers. SVS is well known for their subs, but later started selling speakers too.
https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-satellite-5-1

If you would like, you could also buy some klipsch speakers at frys. For a while know, they've included the RF-82 towers in their weekly ad for around $200 each and the matching center for around that price. They also have a sub for $200 every week, but I'm not a fan of it. The klipsch sound is very much personal preference. Some like it, some hate it.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:22 AM
Mmmm donuts.....

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mikecdm View Post
I'd recommend going to frys for the receiver. If you're signed up to there mailer, they usually have a denon model for about half price. Just about every week it's a different model and some weeks they have more than one. In my area, the sunday ad shows the denon x4400h for $888, regular price around $1500. That wouldn't be what I'd suggest, I'd wait for the x2400 which usually goes for around $400, regular price of $800. That would leave you with around $1k for fronts, center and a sub. Speakers comes down to what sound you like. THe sub really depends on room size and budget.

I was going to suggest something similar to this, but then realized you didn't need all 5.1 speakers. LIke them, there are several other online brands that sell good speakers. SVS is well known for their subs, but later started selling speakers too.
https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-satellite-5-1

If you would like, you could also buy some klipsch speakers at frys. For a while know, they've included the RF-82 towers in their weekly ad for around $200 each and the matching center for around that price. They also have a sub for $200 every week, but I'm not a fan of it. The klipsch sound is very much personal preference. Some like it, some hate it.
+1 for Klipsch, i dont have RF82s just 52s but i absolutely love em. I even took em with me from the US to my move to France just haven't bought a receiver yet. I also have a velodyne sub that i got brand new for dirt cheap, Velodyne Impact 12. My 2 front Klipsch RF52 and RC52 ran me about 1100$ though.

My 1700x build
(6 items)
CPU
1700x
Motherboard
ROG Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
Vega 64
RAM
Corsair 16gb 3200mhz CL16
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000
Case
Core X5
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I picked up a Denon x1400h for $299 on sale at best buy. I'm going to get the Monoprice monolith 10" sub. Still unsure which front and center speakers I should get. I'd like to spend no more than $500 on them.

X58 XEON 5675
(10 items)
CPU
XEON X5675
Motherboard
MSI Big Bang x58
GPU
MSI GTX 1070
RAM
18gb
Hard Drive
Power Supply
OCZ ZX850W
Cooling
EVGA CLC280
Case
Lian li Pc-x2000f
Operating System
win 10
Monitor
Crossover 1440p
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 12:28 AM
Loosing Vision

Rep: 66 (Unique: 65)
I think one thing to address is the room size and whats going to be in it. I mean do you need a 8 inch SW or a 10" or a 12"? for many given rooms a 10" sub may be tighter but again placement. x2 10" in time may work better then a 12".

Speakers are all a mix bag of tricks. Klipsch can work great to as they have a series of lower end to the Reference. Also stay away from those package deals that have the small speaker system that is included with the receiver/amp. Get separate components so you don't need a special connector or amp to run it.

Be sure your room is proper grounded as well.

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in