7.1.4 surround from PC - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

7.1.4 surround from PC

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
7.1.4 surround from PC

Hi,

Does anyone know if it would be possible to create a 7.1.4 ATMOS speaker system from a PC using a AV Receiver?

From what I am reading soundcards don't havd connectors to so this, therefor 5.1.4 would be the best you could get from the soundcard?

The other option would be a HDMI cable from the GFX card. However I am running a tripple screen setup at 144mhz. So adding a HDMI would require a 4th screen but then would reduce my screens to 60hz.

Many thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 07:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
I'd opt for optical to an external DAC or AV Receiver. Its the easiest way with the least amount of hassle
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 260 (Unique: 210)
https://blog.dolby.com/upgrade-home-...m-dolby-atmos/

Dolby Atmos basic requirement is the usage of HDMI receiver (with Atmos support). Any other kind of setup is simply impossible.

And optical is of course utterly out of the picture when we are talking about Atmos.

Ppl should learn to add more info to their posts when they ask for help...
OCN Anime/Manga Club
[Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club

Last edited by Tiihokatti; 01-17-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Thanks for the replys.

Are there any soundcards out there with HDMI.

Or is there a way to have the GFX card send an audio only signal without messing up my screen setup.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 260 (Unique: 210)
Quote: Originally Posted by Wildcard124 View Post
Thanks for the replys.

Or is there a way to have the GFX card send an audio only signal without messing up my screen setup.
The only HDMI soundcard I know is the Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 from 10 years ago. So that's obviously not an option.

So your only option would be to wiggle around with the Windows monitor settings to see if it's possible to make things work. Most likely it's going to be a huge PITA.

Ppl should learn to add more info to their posts when they ask for help...
OCN Anime/Manga Club
[Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:24 PM
Dangerous

Rep: 18 (Unique: 15)
Thanks for the replys.

Windows does not support audio only HDMI. The receiver requires a video signal of some sort. It would be technically possible to just send it a black screen, but that possibility has not been manifest into a feature.

You either need to make a second screen or mirror your main screen. Both have minor drawbacks, but a lot of us just put up with it because HDMI surround sound is the way to go.

I think the main issue will be content. I think a couple games using the Frostbite engine may support Atmos, but I don't know what else does.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
For movies, you are better off getting a streaming box like Nvidia Shield TV. For gaming, well you can already play surround gaming through HDMI to a receiver.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:58 PM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3135 (Unique: 1869)
The other option would be a HDMI cable from the GFX card. However I am running a tripple screen setup at 144mhz. So adding a HDMI would require a 4th screen but then would reduce my screens to 60hz.
Add a second graphics card.

Doesn't have to be any good, all it needs to do is register the receiver so you can use it's HDMI audio.

Some twenty buck passive card should suffice. On-board video could work as well, if you have it and it's not automatically disabled on your setup.

Quote: Originally Posted by Doubletap1911 View Post
Windows does not support audio only HDMI. The receiver requires a video signal of some sort. It would be technically possible to just send it a black screen, but that possibility has not been manifest into a feature.
HDMI splitter (which the receiver may well be) and, if necessary, a dummy connector.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blameless; 03-21-2019 at 08:05 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 02:25 PM
Dangerous

Rep: 18 (Unique: 15)
You can run 3 gaming monitors and a 4th accessory monitor for HDMI audio on a single card. As long as you're not running Youtube or something on the accessory display when you're gaming, it won't force your 144Hz screens to 60Hz

I ran 3x Dell S2417DG 144Hz 1440P gaming monitors and a 1080P BenQ off a single GTX1080Ti. It worked great.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Buying a Nvidia Shield for my home theater was one of my best purchases. Just load your PC folder on the network, and the shield can stream anything off of it to the receiver. Dont have to worry about HDR swapping or anything, it just does it automatically.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in