Question about subwoofer setting. Phase 0 or 180? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Question about subwoofer setting. Phase 0 or 180?

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 130 (Unique: 119)
I what situation would you want one over the other? I have tried both and I can tell a difference, both sound good to me. Is there any reason one should be chosen over the other?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 11:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 188 (Unique: 174)
I know you use the phase control to make sure 2 speakers are playing in sync (aka : In together, out together). I don't think it makes a difference with a single sub.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 11:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 140 (Unique: 130)
its a case of which ever sounds best at the listening position. Its to do with how the sub interacts with the speakers. at one position in the room, 0 Degrees would be fine, but if you were to move the sub, it may need 180 degrees. Its all dependant on sub position and shape of the room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidass View Post
its a case of which ever sounds best at the listening position. Its to do with how the sub interacts with the speakers. at one position in the room, 0 Degrees would be fine, but if you were to move the sub, it may need 180 degrees. Its all dependant on sub position and shape of the room.

Thanks for the info. What I will do is sit in my favorite TV watching spot and have the wifey flick the switches. Before I probably didn't see much difference was because I was just reaching behind the subs and flicking the switches while standing there.

P.S. I have 2 subs BTW.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 01:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 140 (Unique: 130)
Have a good play around with it... 2 subs can be a right pain in the posterior to set up correctly. If you have access to a decent Mic and laptop/pc with mic input, try downloading http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/ that program. It will clearly show you your frequency response across the audible range, and give you some idea of if your tweaks are improving or degrading performance. The goal generally is to get a flat response curve. As always though, go with what makes you happy/sounds best to you.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Cool. I just so happen to have a laptop with a built in mic too.

EDIT: Ohhh.. you said a decent mic. I might know someone that could loan me something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in