Bose 302 cab help - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Bose 302 cab help

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 21)
Calling all audiophiles

Ok so a bose 302 cab was dumped outside my house so i took it in to see what was what.

Its obviously done some time, the wood is all bowed and what not but hte electronics are still in there, not that its a lot of electronics but there u go.

there is one driver in there, clearly not original as it has a huge sound cable running out the front rather than use the bose electronic they literally were running it as a housing fro a speaker.

The speaker in it is a mutant nw 1250 sb and is working although all i have to test it is my mates marshall valvestate amp which we desoldered the speaker connections to.

My question is what on earth does this electronics do?

is the mutant any good

is there any point in me restoring this cab in any way?

also, on the back panel with the electrics, there is two "output" jacks wired to what look like a separate transformer for each, a white cylinder attached to each transformer and all of it wired into speaker cable that splits into the two speakers that should be there as well as heading through a hole out the back presumably for an input. what the hell does it do?? lol

Help me out please XD

"insert non political reference here"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 589 (Unique: 377)
The electronics are called a "crossover". This is a circuit that directs different parts of an audio signal to the different speakers in the cabinet (low sounds to the woofers, high sounds to the tweeters, etc).

I've never heard of the speaker that is in it - judging by the name and lack of info on the web, you're better off replacing it.

Whether or not to restore them is up to you. A lot of the older wood Bose cabinets were quite attractive, so if your 302 is from an early series and the basic structure is in good shape it might be worth trying to find drivers.

Personally, I think I'd pass this one up. Too much effort for too little gain.

post-flame-small.gifKeep the standards high and the noise low. Do YOU have quality content?post-flame-small.gif

Can't get enough of Overclock.net? Keep up with us on Facebook!

For any time-sensitive issues, or anything pertaining to our business operations, email is a far better way to contact me than PM. Please remember you can contact any staff member via email to their username @overclocked.net.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 21)
yeah thats what I was thinking at first but it doesn't work like a normal crossover because there are only two speakers in the cabinet, and the electronics in it go to two output jacks on the back panel for extension cabinets I suppose. I suppose it could split the signal into frequency ranges for the outputs...

Im thinking the same about effort-cost-gain ratio, the speaker in it is a mutant nw1250sb its a car subwoofer!!! 200 rms 700 peak, it seems to be in good condition so may make a little bass box for it and throw it in my car

thanks for your input

Was going to rep you but you cant get any more rep!!

"insert non political reference here"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in