help me to chose quality stuff.. - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

help me to chose quality stuff..

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 06:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 145 (Unique: 114)
those receivers are nice. don't buy a klipsch sub.

svs, rythmik, hsu, epik, elemental designs, jl audio, and outlaw audio are who you should be looking at for subwoofers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 07:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 374 (Unique: 291)

Quick post to just give you a general idea.

If you are going to piece together a system over time, start with the speakers. Buy the best speakers you can afford. This "investment" will be the single component (ok, multiple speakers) that you will own the longest. Add the sub afterwords, (surrounds, center; if you go multi-channel), and then finally your AVR/Receiver.

A good pair of "full range" speakers will overcome much of what you may miss from the initial lack of a subwoofer. A subwoofer, for most typical music listening, fills in the frequencies that a pair of low-end/small speakers are not capable of producing. A sub will also relieve much of the load from the stereo/multi-channel amp, as it is the low frequencies that place the most stress on the amp. Most music cantains few frequencies below 50Hz, as there are very few instruments that produce "sound" that low. In Home Theater, a sub is far more important than it is for music listening.

If I were spending your budget for music, I would be looking here:

Taking the money I'd be saving from from the $1000 sub budget, and investing the difference here. This speaker line has been around for quite some time, but the build and quality has not changed. It would also allow you to add additional speakers over time, to fill in a complete high quality HT surround system.

Front (stereo) speakers:

or (these if the bargain price goes away.)

For the sub:
VTF-3-mk3, which is actually overkill in all but the largest rooms.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 35)

Why not starting with the receiver? After when you get the speaker you can at least test it, I like bass alot so this is one reason why i'm getting a good receiver for a killer subwoofer. Hip hop, metal, techno hard style, pop are the types of music that i lisen.

For the speakers i was thinking of buying klipsch ones, but i dont know if there are speakers that are good for "music" and other for "movie" in home theater speakers..

Speakers

If i begin with only 2 speaker the receiver will do 250watts in stereo mode, its gonna be too much since the speakers are 130 watts, would it be dagerous for the speaker to be over amplified even if i'm never gonna put it at max?

_
Never believe the hype.
Consoles aren't about hardware, they're about good games.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

For the subwoofer, i want a quality one with 1000watts R.M.S and more, ive been looking at klipsch ones, but they are too weak and have a passive driver that is limited..

This kind of setup would be a LITTLE bit too much

_
Never believe the hype.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 08:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 374 (Unique: 291)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Panther222 View Post
Why not starting with the receiver? After when you get the speaker you can at least test it, I like bass alot so this is one reason why i'm getting a good receiver for a killer subwoofer. Hip hop, metal, techno hard style, pop are the types of music that i lisen.

For the speakers i was thinking of buying klipsch ones, but i dont know if there are speakers that are good for "music" and other for "movie" in home theater speakers..

Speakers
Amazon.com: Klipsch Reference Series RF-82 - Left / right channel speaker - (EACH): Electronics

If i begin with only 2 speaker the receiver will do 250watts in stereo mode, its gonna be too much since the speakers are 130 watts, would it be dagerous for the speaker to be over amplified even if i'm never gonna put it at max?
You typically end up spending more on speakers that any other piece of equipment, and as mentioned above, the speakers typically get used for a longer period of time. Receivers, HDTVs, electronics, come and go (get replaced) as new technologies emerge.

That's why the speakers should be first and foremost.

And no, you won't wreck speakers rated at 130w with an amp that puts out 250w. You will actually find that you will end up with "cleaner" sound, as you won't be driving the amp very hard, creating less distortion, and less potential for "clipping" in the audio signal.

Before you just buy Klipsch speakers, you should find a place to audition them. Many people don't like the horn loaded tweeters, (although you will find just as many people who do). The people who don't like the horn tweeters, find Klipsch speakers to be anything but neutral, IMHO, something I would look for in speakers at that price range.

I personally find the horns make the speakers sound harsh, creating a lack of subtlety. This coloration and brightness in the treble, to me, gives Klipsch speakers a hardness that can become very fatiguing.

Just my . When spening this much money on speakers, it is best to take a listen before you buy.

Also, don't get too hung up on the wattage of the Amp in a sub-woofer. again listen to them before you buy... you don't need 1000w to fill a room with accurate bass. That is, unless you have a room in excess of say 2000 sq. feet.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 08:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 94 (Unique: 92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorb View Post
those receivers are nice. don't buy a klipsch sub.

svs, rythmik, hsu, epik, elemental designs, jl audio, and outlaw audio are who you should be looking at for subwoofers.
I second this, pick subs from any of these company's. Quick question what's the size of the room?

Desk Setup: Mod Multibit > Gustard H10/Valhalla 2 and Amperex OG's > Sennheiser HD 600, ZMF Ori
IEM: Dunu Titan 1
Previous Headphones: JVC HARX700, Superlux HD681 EVO, SoundMagic HP200, Sennheiser HD 598SE, Klipsch Image S4

Music/HT Setup: Ascend Sierra-1 Dark Cherry Gloss, Marantz SR5008
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Overclocked by Jesus

Rep: 213 (Unique: 193)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Panther222 View Post
For the subwoofer, i want a quality one with 1000watts R.M.S and more, ive been looking at klipsch ones, but they are too weak and have a passive driver that is limited..
Why does it have to be 1000w rms? You said yourself talking about a 700w subwoofer for concert applications is ridiculous. 1000w is way overkill for something unless you have a huge room you plan on putting it in. Power does not equal low frequencies or quality. Personally I enjoy SVS or HSU for the price.

And as has been said before, don't even start with the receiver or subwoofer, put all your money in your Front channel speakers. A good front setup will make all the difference in the world even with a crappy receiver compared to an amazing receiver and crappy front speakers.

Rainbow Coffee
(16 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-8700K
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING
RAM
Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Cooling
EVGA CLC 240
Case
Corsair Carbide Series Air 240
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Monitor
Dell U2718Q
Keyboard
Cooler Master Quick Fire TK
Mouse
Logitech M510 Wireless Laser
Audio
Sony MDR-X950BT
▲ hide details ▲

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
I personally find the horns make the speakers sound harsh, creating a lack of subtlety. This coloration and brightness in the treble, to me, gives Klipsch speakers a hardness that can become very fatiguing.
Yeah, but don't forget that i will upgrade from a logitech z-2300 that need to be EQ to death so they do not sound like transistor radio speaker..

Quote:
Why does it have to be 1000w rms?
Yeah, your probably right, it would be too much, i need one that can do very deep bass like below 30hz or 20hz if it's possible. For the speakers the Klipsch RF-82 i'm surprised that they can do 33hz.

_
Never believe the hype.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

This sub would be great it go down to 21hz and do [email protected], it it doesn't have a passive driver, and is 500 watts.

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...pecifications/

Whats wrong with the klipsch subwoofer vs SVS or any others?

_
Never believe the hype.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 06:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 145 (Unique: 114)
Well lets compare that to the PB-12 NSD and Epik Empire:

Klipsch mfr freq response / weight / cost / type: 21-120Hz +/-3dB, 48 lbs, $999, 10" sealed
SVS mfr freq response / weight / cost / type: +/-3dB 18Hz-200hz anechoic, 74 lbs, $699, 12" ported
Epik mfr freq response / weight / cost / type: 20-300 Hz +/-3.5 dB anechoic, 140 lbs shipped, $799, dual opposed 15" sealed

There are tons of other fine options available from other manufacturers as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in