Overclock.net banner

Best Headphones for $100-$150

2K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Doomtomb 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I have been scanning the usual suspects (newegg, tiger, etc) for headphones in this range and my god there are plenty. I checked over some threads and most of them are concerning cheapie headphones, or really nice $250+ headphones. My price range is in the middle.

I would like to hear from actual experience but all advice/help is welcome.
I want a nice, comfortable pair of headphones with great sound quality.

They don't need to go so loud as clarity/quality/comfort is the main concern.
A mic would be nice but not required.

What should I be looking at for $100-$150?
Any recommendations?

#2 ·
@ newegg right now the Audio-Technica ATH-A700 are on sale for $130... they are $300 norm and they are one of the best around for your price range. My brother has a set for his home for fun studio and they are friggen huge but they have crisp sound and they feel like they were made to wear for hours. I just got my sennheiser's and i love them compaired to my logitecs or my sony's but for the best bang for your buck i got to sugest the Audio-Technica's

ps the Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700 are on sale for $105 if you dont want to spend as much, though they are not as good

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonVanir;11913068
@ newegg right now the Audio-Technica ATH-A700 are on sale for $130... they are $300 norm and they are one of the best around for your price range. My brother has a set for his home for fun studio and they are friggen huge but they have crisp sound and they feel like they were made to wear for hours. I just got my sennheiser's and i love them compaired to my logitecs or my sony's but for the best bang for your buck i got to sugest the Audio-Technica's

ps the Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700 are on sale for $105 if you dont want to spend as much, though they are not as good
hows the bass on the ATh-A700? im looking for new ones too with fair bass, just came off some dre beats pieces of crap snapped in half so i want decent bass and good for gaming

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig1990;11916317
hows the bass on the ATh-A700? im looking for new ones too with fair bass, just came off some dre beats pieces of crap snapped in half so i want decent bass and good for gaming
U need a card/amp to get the most out of them, I don't use them every day but when I am at my brother's place I use the allll the time a they are his. They have a crisp sound to them its hard to explain... I would say the bass is deep and smooth, you can here bass in songs you didn't know had it

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundingchaney;11916218
What are you using them for and if for music what do you listen to??
This.

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone!
I plan on using these for music and gaming.

vonvanir thx on those A700's I am going to take a closer look at them.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonVanir;11913068

ath-m50s are better sound and quality than the pro700s... dont let the ridiculously fake money savings make you think they are actually $280 cans.

Both have absolutely terrible sound stage for gaming.. but are amazing for music (especially trance/electronic)... decent crisp but full bass and light and clear vocals at the same time.

Bass and gaming dont really go together, as gaming requires an open air back for increase sound stage and directional sound.

Heavy Bass (for the most part) is found in most closed headphones... if you want good bass in an open back headphone your gonna need to drop some $$.

ATH-ad700s are top notch for gaming... better than most more expensive options but for music/movies they are only decent "compared to other options".. Decent still puts them far ahead of your average headphones and gaming headsets... Infact i often find myself listening to music on them even though I have AKG 701s and M50s sitting on stands next to me...

If i had to pick a single pair for you, it would be at the upper end of your spectrum... probably sennheiser 595s..

#13 ·
A little out of your budget but have a look at [ame="[URL=http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=overclockdotnet-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FSennheiser-HD-558-Audiophile-Headphones%2Fdp%2FB004FEEY9A%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1%3Fs%3Delectronics%26ie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1294426478%26sr%3D1-1]http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294426478&sr=1-1"]these[/ame[/URL]].
They are the replacement of the HD555. They are supposed to have a more open sound stage. I have no experienced with these but I do have a pair of HD595s and I love them! I find them really comfortable for extended periods and love the sound too.

#14 ·
For games, consider the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and Sennheiser HD 555 (or its newer version, HD 558) due to their excellent sound stage needed for gaming. For music, they're pretty good for the job as well, but keep in mind that these are open-air type headphones and would leak sound and couldn't isolate noise.

I've had the HD555's before and I can say that it's good for mellow-sounding music, like classical and acoustic. You can mod the 555's as well to become 595's by removing the "surround reflector" foam inside the housing. Google for the details on how to do this mod.
biggrin.gif

#15 ·
Any other suggestions?
Thanks so far guys!

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmp459
View Post

ath-m50s are better sound and quality than the pro700s... dont let the ridiculously fake money savings make you think they are actually $280 cans.

Both have absolutely terrible sound stage for gaming.. but are amazing for music (especially trance/electronic)... decent crisp but full bass and light and clear vocals at the same time.

Bass and gaming dont really go together, as gaming requires an open air back for increase sound stage and directional sound.

Heavy Bass (for the most part) is found in most closed headphones... if you want good bass in an open back headphone your gonna need to drop some $$.

ATH-ad700s are top notch for gaming... better than most more expensive options but for music/movies they are only decent "compared to other options".. Decent still puts them far ahead of your average headphones and gaming headsets... Infact i often find myself listening to music on them even though I have AKG 701s and M50s sitting on stands next to me...

If i had to pick a single pair for you, it would be at the upper end of your spectrum... probably sennheiser 595s..

RMP knows his stuff. DON'T BUY A GAMING HEADSET! PLEASE! 97% of them are made cheaply, and the ONLY reason so many gamers usually buy them, is because they say gaming on the side, and wouldn't know a good headset/pair of headphones, if it kissed em'. Not to rant and be rude, but it is TOTALLY true.

Go with either HD 555/595s by Sennheiser, or Audio-Technica AD700s, I have both, and for the price range you won't beat them (as far as open headphones, great sound stage, reasonably price, and comfort). Denon's and AKG's are good, but both that are mentioned are closed, and it won't be very good for gaming, but they will be great for music.

I good $50-100 amp on craigslist, or ebay will come in handy too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JedixJarf
View Post

Tritton ax 720

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by amstech
View Post

Thanks for the replies everyone!
I plan on using these for music and gaming.

what type of music...what type of gaming.....

#18 ·
KoRn, Godsmack, Lil Wayne, The Prodigy, The Doors, Cream, Rush, The Blues, Tool/A Perfect Circle/Puscifer, Alborosie, game/movie soundtracks, Metallica, Nirvana, System of a Down, Mudvayne, SlipKnot, Cypress Hill, Snoop Dogg/Tupac, Syntax, Patsy Cline, George Thorugood, Oasis, Paul Wall, G&R's, Blink 182, Ozzy, The Dubliners, etc.... and much much more.

WoW, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, BC2, GTA4, NFS:Shift, Assasins Creed, DA:Origins, Bioshock, Far Cry 2 (just started single player campaign for very first time lol), etc and many many more.

#19 ·
I would recommend a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-990 cans. The most comfortable I have ever used (circumaural padded fabric, open-backed for both ventilation and better stereo detail)

beyerdynamic+DT+990+Premium+Headphones.jpg

They are NOT isolation headphones, so if you are getting headphones for listening in a noisy environment or so your girlfriend can sleep while you listen to music, then I would suggest a pair of DT-770.

The reason both my recommendations are Beyerdynamic is because I just got a pair of 990's for a friend for christmas, and 770's for myself as an alternative for my trusty HD280pro phones, and WOW are they comfortable. They don't clamp on your head like many other circumaural phones. They sound amazing, and can be used at low levels (to preserve your hearing) and still retain the accuracy and punch that you want.

EDIT: I realize that these are a bit outside your budget, but do yourself a favor and try them out at your local pro audio or music store. They're worth the extra $50 -- they retail for $180-$200

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.