Looking at creating some youtube content/creation - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Looking at creating some youtube content/creation

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 09:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 12)
I think I have a solution for you. Basically, I went for a solution that got you the best of all worlds: ease of use, quality, versatility, and at a good price.

Camera: Canon EOS-M
I think mirroless 4/3 cameras are a great option for you and since I'm a Canon fanboy, I'd recommend theirs to you. It's lightweight, compact, has easier controls, has interchangeable lens, allows for an external mic, still allows for manual exposure control, and records to canon's h.264 format which I've found to be pretty good.
Lens: 22m Pancake EOS-M Canon Lens
You'll see that the camera I linked comes with a 22mm lens. On canon's APS-C sensor that's a 39mm lens effectively, which is a great focal length for the stuff you want to do, still allows for creamy sexy bokeh effects, BUT has no zoom potential. Gotta zoom with your feet.
Audio: Azden SMX-10
This mic will plug right into your EOS-M and give you MUCH better audio than the on-camera mic. Just point it at your face and hit record. You may need to remove some hiss in post or modify the in-camera gain, but that's honestly not very difficult.
Tripod: VT-300
Fluid head, reliable, cheap

Total Cost: $508.90

Now, you still need an SD card but those are pretty cheap. You could wait for some of this stuff to go on sale or pick out a different mirrorless camera, but this bundle I have picked out for you is a SOLID combination of price and performance. It is an investment though, so, look up the gear, find reviews, see if you're happy with the stuff this gear can do before buying it! The only item I have experience with is the tripod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

That makes sense.

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

Found a flaw with the Canon EOS M. Only records at 1080P @ 30FPS. frown.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 05:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Most stuff you see on TV and on youtube is rendered at 30/23.976 FPS so for what you want to do, it's perfect. The benefit of having a high frame rate capture is stabilization in post is easier, and slow motion shots are easier. Most of the time when I'm capturing video, it's at 1080p 30 FPS. Unless you think you're going to be wanting to do slow-motion shots a lot, this isn't really an issue.

The issues I've found with the EOS-M is that it has a slow autofocus which is fixed with the latest firmware, and the image quality isn't as good as other micro 4/3 cameras, but it's the cheapest one, so it's expected.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

Pretty crazy setup....I know you don't like Jay...biggrin.gif

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 07:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Haha, he's fine. But yeah, from the thumbnail I can tell he's either using a Rhino Rig, or a Cowboy Studio Rig, some Canon DSLR, likely the Mark III, with a nice mattbox and all. That easily cost several thousands of dollars. I honestly think the EOS-M is going to be great for you and I'm rather upset I didn't figure that out before purchasing my t2i, haha.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 09:16 AM
d[ o_0 ]b

Rep: 276 (Unique: 200)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post

Pretty crazy setup....I know you don't like Jay...biggrin.gif

thats a very basic setup for DSLR video. just looking at the thumbnail for the video i wonder why he has no counter weight. defeats the purpose of the stability from a shoulder rig. matte box not required. honestly id take a lens hood for a simple rig unless im working with excess studio light. using a matte box just makes the rig look more pro. same effect from having a lens hood on a photo lens. makes everything look bigger. yes it helps but you dont need it 100% of the time tongue.gif

the EOS m suggestion is actually really smart for the price. Good size sensor so its easy to work with on glass selection. also you dont need more than 1080 30p for youtube. thats the standard for all video.

Minolta XD11, 28/2.8, 50/1.4
Canon C100mkII, Canon 5DmkIII, 7D, 100/2.8 macro, 70-200/4L IS, 1.4X mkIII
YN-560II, YN-560III

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

THREAD NECRO!

Still wondering which camera would be good for this. The Canon EOS M, seems like a decent choice, but with 1080p/60 more prevalent now, is that camera still a good choice?

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 12:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 26)
I'm no camera expert but from a video standpoint as was pointed out earlier in this thread. most video is 1080p 30fps. Gamers are pushing this 60 fps nonsense which unless you're doing high motion/action videos and or slow mo shots there really is no reason. At the current moment even though YouTube supports' it 60 fps is not commonly used yet. with the exception of gameplay or something that was originally shot at 60 fps. I think the original suggestion makes the most sense and as you said if the channel takes off then you can look at upgrading to a better setup.

I believe jay said in one of his videos pretty much the same thing right when youtube started allowing it and viewers were pushing for it.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 01:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

^^ This.

If you're recording gameplay, 60 FPS makes sense, but if you're shooting footage of yourself, 60 FPS looks swirly, and dizzying. 30FPS/23.798FPS has a good motion blur for motion picture that is pleasing to the eye. It wasn't picked arbitrarily because of hardware limitation, it was picked because it looks good. I don't think you need 60 FPS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in