Looking at creating some youtube content/creation - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Looking at creating some youtube content/creation

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

Looking to get into some reviewing, PC builds and other tech stuff. Just wondering what one would do to get "started up" equipment wise. Channel is going to be very focused on hardware and gaming content.

Was thinking a GoPro Hero3+ Black just to start up with....

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 09:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 12)
People buy a go-pro because of the durability and the flexibility of it. If you're going to be sitting in a room and not flying it around or strapping it to a helmet I feel like some of its' purpose goes to waste. You would be able to better use your money to get a camera that has a better quality image sensor but less durability. First, however, we need to know your budget.

Do you want to get a DSLR? A Compact Camera? A webcam? Only so much can be inferred by your go-pro suggestion.

For my content creation, I use:
Video: Canon T2i
Lens: 50mm f/1.8 Canon lens or a 11-17 mm f/2.8 Tokina lens
Audio: Rode NTG2 + Tascam DR40 for capturing audio while I'm on camera, and a Audio Technica AT2020 for capturing audio for instruments, singing, or overlay audio on top of footage that has no audio.
Miscellaneous: Samson Boom for holding the NTG2 and the DR40. A VT-2100 tripod for holding the camera and anything else I strap to it, and a Kamerar 23" slider.

I use all of these things for shooting literally anything I want and SOME of them may be considered overkill for what you want to do, but the quality they'd bring to your channel would not go unnoticed. It's an investment, but a good one at that. I spent probably around $1,000 to $1,200 on all my gear and some of it was used but to give you a reference when it comes to picking out parts of a DSLR rig $1,000-$1,200 is VERY cheap.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

I want something that is as cheap as possible as I don't know if this will take off. I pretty much want to be like JayzTwoCents. Not trying to mock him, I need to find my own way, but similar. I guess I as just trying to feel out if the GoPro would do what I want it to. Plus I get a healthy discount off one. biggrin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 10:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Do you get a discount off of anything else? A GoPro isn't really suited for what you want to do. You also got to not forget that video isn't the only thing when it comes to producing content like that. You will hear this over and over again that you need to spend equal monies on both audio and visual components. Good video with bad audio is not easy to pay attention to. If you want a cheap option, then DSLR is not what you want to do. I might recommend a camcorder + a external digital field recorder, something like a Zoom H1 (maybe look for it used). I feel like that could offer some good audio/video quality without spending too much. However, I know nothing of camcorders so I'll let someone else take over.

Speaking of Jay, I can't stand watching his videos, haha. I much prefer Linus, Paul, or Tek Syndicate.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDub View Post

Do you get a discount off of anything else? A GoPro isn't really suited for what you want to do. You also got to not forget that video isn't the only thing when it comes to producing content like that. You will hear this over and over again that you need to spend equal monies on both audio and visual components. Good video with bad audio is not easy to pay attention to. If you want a cheap option, then DSLR is not what you want to do. I might recommend a camcorder + a external digital field recorder, something like a Zoom H1 (maybe look for it used). I feel like that could offer some good audio/video quality without spending too much. However, I know nothing of camcorders so I'll let someone else take over.

Speaking of Jay, I can't stand watching his videos, haha. I much prefer Linus, Paul, or Tek Syndicate.

35% off at VZW biggrin.gif

Lol I have them all subbed too. biggrin.gif

Yeah maybe a camcorder is a better option. I would like a better mic setup.....thinking.gif

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

Well here's the deal, I thought I could go with:

GoPro Hero 3+ Black (VZW discount)
GoPro Mic kit with Olympus ME-51S Stereo Microphone (Amazon)
Ravelli APLT2 50" Light Weight Aluminum Tripod (Amazon)
SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC (Amazon)

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 08:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Ok, so you seem like you have your heart set on getting the GoPro. Just keep a few things in mind about it, though:
1. It records to a compressed h.264 format, making color grading harder and making your picture worse. Most cameras record to a compressed format, but some compressed formats are better than others. You'll see the term h.264 flung around a lot, but not all h.264 is the same. Look up example footage of your camera and see if you like what you see! Youtube is aplenty with GoPro Hero 3 Black footage.
2. It uses an ultra-wide lens which has a natural fish eye look to it. You can edit fish eye out of your videos, but you may want to look that up and see if you're willing to do that (I don't know what it entails or what it looks like post-edit). You can't make review-type videos with all fisheye, your viewers would get nauseous.
3. Your GoPro has no settings to modify aperture, i.e. you don't have a natural bokeh effect. Depth of field helps when trying to place emphasis on something in your shot. For instance, you would be in focus and your background would be slightly out of focus, naturally drawing the center of attention to you. Plus, bokeh just looks sexy.
4. The GoPro is BUILT for rugged, rough and tough use. For your intended use, you're not getting the most out of it.
5. You have limited control on exposure settings with your GoPro meaning it's harder to expose for different lighting situations.

On the gear you chose:
Mic: Look up reviews of that mic in action. It looks like it will be awful, haha. Make sure it sounds OK before buying any microphone ever. Plus, I'm not sure what kind of automatic gain control the GoPro has going on, but it likely will introduce a "hissing" sound in your audio if you plug that sucker straight into your GoPro.

Tripod: You picked out a pan-head tripod. These are among the worst types of tripods but the cheapest. You probably want a fluid-head mount tripod if you're doing video. It allows for smooth camera pans and motions. Look up the difference! This is a really good budget one: http://www.amazon.com/Magnus-VT-300-Video-Tripod-Fluid/dp/B005GMWNY8

The reason I'm being super critical of your selection is because I don't want you to buy all this stuff and be super unhappy with the quality of your gear and then immediately want to upgrade. I think the Go-Pro will probably work (and it has some REALLY awesome frame-rate/resolution choices) but the gear you chose to supplement it is pretty bad.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

Quote:

Ok, so you seem like you have your heart set on getting the GoPro. Just keep a few things in mind about it, though:
1. It records to a compressed h.264 format, making color grading harder and making your picture worse. Most cameras record to a compressed format, but some compressed formats are better than others. You'll see the term h.264 flung around a lot, but not all h.264 is the same. Look up example footage of your camera and see if you like what you see! Youtube is aplenty with GoPro Hero 3 Black footage.
2. It uses an ultra-wide lens which has a natural fish eye look to it. You can edit fish eye out of your videos, but you may want to look that up and see if you're willing to do that (I don't know what it entails or what it looks like post-edit). You can't make review-type videos with all fisheye, your viewers would get nauseous.
3. Your GoPro has no settings to modify aperture, i.e. you don't have a natural bokeh effect. Depth of field helps when trying to place emphasis on something in your shot. For instance, you would be in focus and your background would be slightly out of focus, naturally drawing the center of attention to you. Plus, bokeh just looks sexy.
4. The GoPro is BUILT for rugged, rough and tough use. For your intended use, you're not getting the most out of it.
5. You have limited control on exposure settings with your GoPro meaning it's harder to expose for different lighting situations.

On the gear you chose:
Mic: Look up reviews of that mic in action. It looks like it will be awful, haha. Make sure it sounds OK before buying any microphone ever. Plus, I'm not sure what kind of automatic gain control the GoPro has going on, but it likely will introduce a "hissing" sound in your audio if you plug that sucker straight into your GoPro.

Tripod: You picked out a pan-head tripod. These are among the worst types of tripods but the cheapest. You probably want a fluid-head mount tripod if you're doing video. It allows for smooth camera pans and motions. Look up the difference! This is a really good budget one: http://www.amazon.com/Magnus-VT-300-Video-Tripod-Fluid/dp/B005GMWNY8

The reason I'm being super critical of your selection is because I don't want you to buy all this stuff and be super unhappy with the quality of your gear and then immediately want to upgrade. I think the Go-Pro will probably work (and it has some REALLY awesome frame-rate/resolution choices) but the gear you chose to supplement it is pretty bad.

Well then, suggest away. Keep it under $500 if you can.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 09:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

I don't want to discourage you from getting a GoPro. If you want it and it has a return policy, maybe you can test it out for a bit. Let me ask a few more questions so I can make a solid recommendation.

1. Do you own any camera gear? Bags, SD cards, etc.
2. Do you mind buying used gear?
3. Do prefer image quality or ease of use? Do you wanna get into the nitty gritty enthusiast film making details or do you just want to hit record and see what'll happen?
4. Are you going to pay for software to edit your videos? Are you familiar with any software/do you already own some?
5. Are you making youtube videos for the fun of it or are you trying to get a YT partnership or both?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
I TeK things...

Quote:

I don't want to discourage you from getting a GoPro. If you want it and it has a return policy, maybe you can test it out for a bit. Let me ask a few more questions so I can make a solid recommendation.

1. Do you own any camera gear? Bags, SD cards, etc.
2. Do you mind buying used gear?
3. Do prefer image quality or ease of use? Do you wanna get into the nitty gritty enthusiast film making details or do you just want to hit record and see what'll happen?
4. Are you going to pay for software to edit your videos? Are you familiar with any software/do you already own some?
5. Are you making youtube videos for the fun of it or are you trying to get a YT partnership or both?
Just some basic camera gear, no software. Not opposed to buying used, just prefer new. I do want to make the videos professional looking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in