What Resolution are blockbuster films recorded in? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

What Resolution are blockbuster films recorded in?

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 05:36 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 7 (Unique: 5)
Guys/Guys or Gals/Gals no need to debate post some facts.... check this out seems there is some truth to Panavision being a format.. it was Super Panavision 70..:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panavision

there is some info that is informative.. I preferred CinemaScope..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 05:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 241 (Unique: 197)
Particle could be basing his (or her) statement on info gleaned from the webs or from watching old westerns, I remember it was a big deal that a movie was shot in Panavision, this statement would roll right after the main title, it was what all AAA titles where shot in back then so it has become the name used for the 35mm format; chalk it up to marketing, same as "Nvidia, the way it was meant to be played"

Diablo 3-wolff#1279

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 12:18 PM
d[ o_0 ]b

Rep: 276 (Unique: 200)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim View Post

Guys/Guys or Gals/Gals no need to debate post some facts.... check this out seems there is some truth to Panavision being a format.. it was Super Panavision 70..:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panavision

there is some info that is informative.. I preferred CinemaScope..

read it closer rolleyes.gif

Super Panavision 70 while sounding like its a film stock is not film. its the brand name they used for a line of lenses https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Panavision_70

history of panavision as a optics and camera company http://www.panavision.com/history

here is their new Primo 70 that shall replace the Super Panavision 70 line as the industry moves more to digital http://www.panavision.com/products/primo-70-series

there is a difference between format and aspect ratio that appears to be completely lost. the terms are not interchangeable despite what Particle has been posting

Slickwilly nailed it. Particle is confused because of marketing and misinformation from reading stuff online. panavision is a BIG deal and still is. people take pride in using their products but noone has ever shot on panavision film because there is no such thing. shot on panavision means that panavision cameras and optics were used biggrin.gif

Minolta XD11, 28/2.8, 50/1.4
Canon C100mkII, Canon 5DmkIII, 7D, 100/2.8 macro, 70-200/4L IS, 1.4X mkIII
YN-560II, YN-560III

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 07:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
So, by your definition of format, DVD, Bluray, HD-DVD, AVCHD, etc... are all the same format?

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 01:32 PM
d[ o_0 ]b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepher View Post

So, by your definition of format, DVD, Bluray, HD-DVD, AVCHD, etc... are all the same format?

you just listed a bunch of completely different things. thank you for trying to troll. move along. i did not define format and you are taking the term out of context from an analogue medium and applying it to physical and digital distribution methods.

the term medium can also be used if you want to be specific between analogue and digital. Disc is a medium, the types of discs (encoding method to distinguish between the HD varieties) are the formats. if you are trying to vaguely reference one of my posts rolleyes.gif

YN-560II, YN-560III

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 05:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy View Post

you just listed a bunch of completely different things. thank you for trying to troll. move along. i did not define format and you are taking the term out of context from an analogue medium and applying it to physical and digital distribution methods.

the term medium can also be used if you want to be specific between analogue and digital. Disc is a medium, the types of discs (encoding method to distinguish between the HD varieties) are the formats. if you are trying to vaguely reference one of my posts rolleyes.gif
by that definition, Panavision is a format shot on film which is the medium.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 05:24 AM
d[ o_0 ]b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepher View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy View Post

by that definition, Panavision is a format shot on film which is the medium.

sure thing rolleyes.gif i am amazed by your advanced trolling skills thumb.gif

YN-560II, YN-560III

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in