Advice needed for DIY home video surveillance system - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Advice needed for DIY home video surveillance system

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 44 (Unique: 42)
I'm looking to set-up a DIY home video monitoring system and wondering if anyone here has done the same. I already have a dedicated server machine running which will handle all the data and software, I'm just seeking advice and recs for cameras and software.

Software
From some initial research, it seems that Blue Iris and Sighthound are very popular, but I've also come across EyeLine and iSpy. I don't mind paying a few bucks for good, flexible, and user friendly software.

Cameras
This is going to be tougher to decide on given all the options out there. Ideally I'd like wireless for the ease of installation and because I have a finished basement which makes running wires challenging. My understanding is that you need larger lens cameras (12mm or greater) to get video crisp enough to see faces and license plates clearly. I'm thinking that several fixed cameras an a couple PTZ's will be sufficient. My only concern with wireless is if my router (or 802.11N in general) can handle that many simultaneous HD streams, and that's not even taking into consideration all the other wireless devices in the house. Maybe a dedicated router for them would be necessary.

Anyways, if anyone has gone through this already or knows of some good resources, let me know!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 08:24 AM
I fix Stuff

Rep: 316 (Unique: 244)
subbed for answers

Helpful Links & Hardware History (Click to show)OCN Marketplace Expectations (Click to show)
- I always test my purchased products before leaving trader feedback. If I bought something from you and you have not gotten feedback give me a little friendly PM bump. smile.gif
- When selling items I do my best to pack and ship by the next business day.
- You can never communicate too much, that said I try to relay any relevant information during a transaction as soon as it becomes available.
- I am willing to work with you on whatever you need, I am only a PM away.
Xander's Windows tune up guide

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in