[How To]My cheap chinese security cam setup. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[How To]My cheap chinese security cam setup.

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
High Clocker

Rep: 188 (Unique: 162)
[How To]My cheap chinese security cam setup.

So here is how I set up a cheap video security system,
My main goals were to have no wires, Some what good video quality, Small file size, cheap.

For camera choice I went with Aliexpress chinese special.
I got 4X of this in wifi 1080p with power adapter.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BESD...ddcbf8f40ac-19

I got 2 for outdoors, 1 for in the garage and 1 for in the computer room.
Setting them up was a bit of a pain with badly translated enlish instructions and having to use the phone app.
But a basic run down was. Make account in phone app. Connect phone to your wireless network you will use the cameras on.
Hold down reset button on camera and count time frame stated in instructions since it wont beep like it says it will.
Connect phone app to the camera wifi name then it transferes over your wifi settings so camera can connect to your network.
From there on you can set up RTSP and the static IP of the camera.

Next up was finding a recording software which fit my other needs. I could of used there built in cloud or memory card options but I didnt want to pay for a account. Or have to use there app to view older videos. And using a memory card has nothing to stop some one just smashing and taking the camera.

I tried a few but free ones failed to meet the good quality to file size requirement I had.
So I settled on OBS of all things,
https://obsproject.com/
It had 2 major advantages which were.
It could use GPU encoding, And that it could also stream video.

It also had 1 major disadvantage tho and thats in its RTSP support is pritty poor so all it takes is 1 bad packet and it will drop the stream.
To over come this issue I made a little program that scans for what IP address are connected to the computer.
If it sees a IP address of the RTSP stream has dropped then it will use the shortcut keys for OBS to restart that media source.
I have attached a copy of that program for any one that wants to use it.
Supports up to 4 IP address since thats all Im using.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/atta...1&d=1545781958

Next you want to set up OBS.
Since I had 4 camera and I wanted to trim the top slightly off the videos and use my own timer. You dont have to do that but Im OCD about having 4 timers that arnt exactly synced down to the second.

I set my output size / canvas size to 2560X1860.
Here is a screen shot, Iv disabled 3 video sources since I dont want every one seeing what iv got in my house.
Spoiler!

Iv also overlayed weather, My UPS data and my home central heating data.

That its some what slow video I decided on 10fps since this will 1/3 the file size for near no quality loss.
Next I setup the recorder settings and turned off sound recording.
Record formatt I use is MKV since its a lot more robust against file curruption.
Encoder NVENC H.264 and CQP 28.
Files are about 2GB per 12 hours. Its clear enough to make out a cars number plate coming down the drive way.

Make sure you have setup the hot keys as it shows in my program if your going to be using that.
Also if you want to break up files use a windows task to shut down and re-open while recording OBS every 12 hours or what ever rate you want.

P.S Im running all this in a seperate VM on my PC which has 100% uptime already. If you dont run it in a VM and use my resetter software then you will get keyboard input when it uses the hotkeys which might upset a game your playing ect.

-----

Also just as another little play thing you can do is use DVR-Scan to find motion in a selected spot on your videos.
I had a little play with it scanning movement on my driveway and saving still photos of any movement.
Then I feed that though TESSDATA to read numberplates into text and save it in a text file.
It was about 90% accurate but chewed a lot of resources.
Where I live you can feed number plates into a website to bring up info on that car and owner. So if I wanted to take it further I could of made a program that looks up every ones car info that comes into my driveway.

----

If your using NVENC card will drop into P2 state which has lower memory clocks.
You can use NVinspector to disable that setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCENCAM.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	241306  

Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip OBS RTSP Resetter.zip (12.5 KB, 20 views)

SLI Voodoo 2 - > GeForce4 MX 420 -> GF 6600GT -> GF 6800GT -> GF 8800Ultra -> AMD 4870 -> AMD 4890 -> CF AMD 5820 -> CF AMD 6850 -> CF AMD 7970 -> SLI GF 680 -> SLI GF 780 -> CF AMD 290X -> GF 980ti -> SLI GF 980ti -> GF 1080ti -> SLI GF 1080ti -> <- RTX 2080ti (DOA/Refunded)
CPU
AMD 8120
CPU
FX 8350
GPU
7970 CFX
GPU
680 SLI
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by bmgjet; 12-25-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 11:39 AM
Stop saying I'm new

Rep: 24 (Unique: 22)
Thats pretty cool my dude

Clubs: Gr33n | 4+GHz
Hobbies: Photo | SC2-Gigalisk.673

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 12:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Subbed, thanks for sharing.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in